Comments on the 1st week of O's ST games

wildcard

Most encouraging development is that Tillman is progressing well to a projected March 17th activation.  Kind of weird that is the date that was picked.  Its an off day.

Nuno looks like the sixth reliever. Third lefty.

Wilson and Verrett have the early lead on the 7th spot in the pen.   One may make opening day and the other lined up for a spot start on April 15th.   Drake has pitched poorly but is out of options and may have something to say about who gets the final spot in the pen before the spring is over.

Kim is getting on base and Buck is batting him first.   

Rickard is hitting well which will makes it hard to send him down if that continues.

Castillo hitting well and looks like a good addition to the team.  Joseph as backup.

25th man very cloudy at the moment.  Gentry may be best defensive outfielder in camp but he has not hit well  yet and because he is on a minor contract if he comes up he has to stay.   Not sure the O's are ready to make that commitment with Bourn being available in Mid April.   Buck continues to speak highly of Bourn.

Seems doubtful that Trumbo sees much time in the outfield.

Rule 5 guys have some appeal.   Tavarez speed and defense.  Santander's ability to drive in runs.  Its not clear if either will show enough to stay.

Mancini is hitting well.  His option may allow him to make the opening day roster if he continues to hit.   O's may carry 14 position players until April 15th.  But there is not enough playing time to keep Mancini much longer then that.  

Team looks deep with AAA additions.  Chris Johnson, Janish, Giavotella, Andino and Mancini in the infield.  Sisco is being praised for defensive improvement.  Ynoa, Lee, Verrett/Wllson. Aquino, Wright and Gunkel  makes me wonder who is not in the Norfolk rotation.

As always, Dan may not be done.

Its been a good first week of games but its early and things will change.  Players leaving for WBC gives playing time for those trying to impress.  Main thing is staying healthy.  JMO

What are your impressions?

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My impression is that the first two weeks are virtually meaningless in terms of performance.

If Liranzo could stop walking people I'd say he had an outside chance of making the bullpen.  Drake could lose his spot if he doesn't get it in gear.

I thought Rickard was a lock before but it doesn't hurt to have a good spring.  

I think the O's want Santander to show enough that they can justify giving him a spot.

And he has been. Like you said, for the 1st 2 weeks so far.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Drake could lose his spot if he doesn't get it in gear.

He's one of four relief pitchers on the 40-man that can't be optioned (Britton, Brach, O'day). It would seem to me that the O's will carry him through the regular season for as long as they possibly can, and they've done that in the past. I'm guessing they will invent a DL spot for him if they get desperate.

Most encouraging development is that Tillman is progressing well to a projected March 17th activation.  Kind of weird that is the date that was picked.  Its an off day.

Orioles play the Pirates at 1:00 in Bradenton on the 17th.

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

He's one of four relief pitchers on the 40-man that can't be optioned (Britton, Brach, O'day). It would seem to me that the O's will carry him through the regular season for as long as they possibly can, and they've done that in the past. I'm guessing they will invent a DL spot for him if they get desperate.

Drake is different from Britton and Brach.  He is not a hard thrower.  And he doesn't have O'Day tricky delivery.   He has a sinker.  I'm not sure if that is enough.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Drake is different from Britton and Brach.  He is not a hard thrower.  And he doesn't have O'Day tricky delivery.   He has a sinker.  I'm not sure if that is enough.

I wasn't comparing their pitching styles. Just the fact that those four don't have anywhere to go but the Opening Day roster. I don't see the O's cutting bait on him.

What's usually interesting to me is who Buck is looking at hard.

- Rickard has played in all 8 games, the only one on the team to do so.    In 18 PA (tied for most on the team), he has 7 walks, one HBP and 3 hits.    He's off to a very good start in his bid to make the OD roster.

- Chris Johnson also has 18 PA and has done well, 5 hits, 1 BB, 2 HBP.    I don't see a path to him making the OD roster, but he looks like a guy who might get called upon if Manny got hurt or had to slide to SS for a bit.  

- Mancini has 17 PA, and has 6 hits, including two doubles.    It will be tough for him to make the team the way the roster is constructed, but Buck's giving him a hard look.   

- Giovatella has 16 PA and 5 hits and a walk.   Another guy who probably has no path to the OD roster but has made a nice first impression.  

- Andino, Santander, Tavarez and Gentry all have 15 PA.   None have done too much yet, and I'd be a little concerned that Santander's 7 K's in 15 PA suggests he might not be ready to jump from A+ to the big leagues.    But I'm sure he'll get the plenty more chances.  

- On the pitching side, Jayson Aquino, Tyler Wilson and Chris Lee have all looked sharp.   Oliver Drake and Parker Bridwell haven't.   Liranzo's looking like a guy to keep an eye on for a second-half promotion. 

For me, the first week highlight was Ryan Mountcastle hitting a game-tying homer in the bottom of the 9th, in his second major league spring training at bat.     Just a nice moment for a kid we have high hopes for who's still 2+ years away from the majors.    Hit it off a pitcher who's had 47 innings of big league experience, not some equally green prospect.

As RZNJ said, as little as spring training means, the first couple of weeks mean even less.    That's probably more true than ever with the extra week of spring training this year.  

Archived