8 pitchers, 3 spots

wildcard

There are two relief spots and one starter spot still open.   Some guys could fill either starter or reliever spot but some are only lined up to be relievers.

Starter Only

Mike Wright has done nothing but start this spring.  The O's are not ready to move him to be a reliever.  He is probably the leading candidate for the March 15th game.  Let's see if he can hold that position on Friday when he starts.

Chris Lee has been slotted to be a starter.   After last night's outing he will probably start the year at Norfolk.  But Buck could give him one more chance to show he can be pitch efficient.

Reliever only

Vidal Nuno has not been stretched out passed 2 innings.  He is mostly pitching one.  I don't think he is  in the starter competition.   Some would give him a spot on the roster just because of his experience.  I am not one of them.  He hasn't pitch well in weeks when the WBC is counted.  He has 7 ST games remaining to show he is ready to hold down a relief spot.

Oliver Drake is a reliever only.  You know the story.  Out of options, hasn't pitched well.   He needs to pitch well these last 7 games.   

Starter or reliever

Jayson Aquino has done everything that has been asked of him well.  He hasn't gotten a start yet.  He was allowed to go 3 innings once.  It's a mystery why he hasn't been stretched out more.   

Gabriel  Ynoa gets a start on Saturday.   He needs a good one.   Has done fine so far but the questions about the effectiveness of his off speed stuff are still there.

Tyler Wilson - after a poor start to ST he has allowed one run in 5 innings over his last two appearances. Last night he pitched mostly against minor leaguers in the last two innings of the game.  He  could have the inside track on one of the relief spots.  But then again if Wirght and Ynoa blow up he is right back in the competition for a starting role.

Logan Verrett - Buck said his last outing was better.  It needed to be to stay in the competition.   Buck also said command has been his biggest problem.  His velo is getting better.

I'd say its a toss up.   No one has clearly won a spot out of the 8 candidates.

As I have been saying for 3 years, DD is not a bad GM but his inability to assemble a good starting staff is frustrating. In past years, weakness was countered with depth. But DD went crazy on signing OF types and neglected our SP depth.

It is frustrating.

I honestly think Wright is the only person being considered seriously.

Given the lack of depth, we may just hold onto Drake if he pitches better to finish ST.

Just now, Shabadoo25 said:

The starters job is Chris Lee's to lose I think.

I don't see how that is possible.  He needs so many pitches to get through an inning he can't go 5 innings. He needs to improve big time to win a starter job with the O's.

These pitchers are on the forty man roster AND have options remaining.  A mix and match of these pitchers will be used by Buck Showalter for the beginning of the season.  There is no set bullpen/starting role for several on this list.  With the schedule such as it is in the beginning of the season, any of these potential fifth starters could/can/will start off in the Minors on optional assignment and be called up when the fifth starter is needed.  By doing this, the Orioles could/can have Lee, Wright, Wilson and Aquino all be piggy backed from the get go of the Minor League season and whoever is the most effective in MiLB will get the recall when the fifth spot in the rotation is needed.  Two would be at Norfolk and two would be at Bowie.

Mychal Givens (Makes the Twenty Five)

Donnie Hart (Makes the Twenty Five)

Jayson Aquino

Chris Lee

Vidal Nuno

Logan Verrett

Tyler Wilson

Mike Wright

Gabriel Ynoa

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I actually think the depth in the bullpen is good.  It's just that not many have had great springs.  I think Drake will be good if he's healthy and makes the team.  Liranzo isn't too far off.  Crichton's stuff looks better than his numbers at Bowie.  A lot if movement on a 92-94 two seamer and a pretty good breaking ball.  Bridwell finally converting to the bullpen full time.  Verrett's stuff should play up out of the pen.

Bleier did not impress me but he's decent depth as a LH.  Cleavinger looked interesting.  Good breaking ball and 90-92 that looks like it plays up because of deceptive delivery.

Depth at starter looks questionable. Have to hope Wright and Ynoa put it together.

It would be a surprise to see Cleavinger in the majors this year.   He didn't do that well at Frederick last year.

Archived