What does Seth Smith's injury mean to the O's?

wildcard

Seth Smith has played in one Spring Training game since March 8th.  He played on March 24th.   I have not heard about him going to the minor league camp to get at bats, though that could be happening.   It will be interesting to see if he plays in the O's last ST home game on March 30th.  Roch reported on March 27th that it looks like he would dodge the Disabled List and be on the Opening Day roster.  That may be true but it does not seem like he is at full strength since he has not gotten the  normal number of at bats in ST.   It could be that he makes the Opening Day roster but the hamstring does not take kindly to the cold nights that are part on early April.   He could go on the DL at any time.

So who replaces Smith if he can't play?  Gentry and Rickard have been having good springs.   Gentry is hitting both lefties and righties well this spring.  Rickard is hitting righties well this  spring but not lefties.  However, Joey hit lefties last year.  Between the two of them it looks like right field is covered if Smith can't go.

As far as the roster spot I think there are two choices.  If the O's want a position player Mancini is the obvious choice.  I don't know how much he would play but he has probably won the next man up award.   If its a pitcher the O's want and Smith's  DL happens before Opening Day then Drake has a chance of staying.   A reliever is more likely because the O's will want  Ynoa, Aquino, Wright and Lee in AAA competing for the starting spots on March 15th and 22nd.      Of the relievers Drake being out of option makes him the likely guy.   Verrett control has been questionable  for most of the spring and he can easily be optioned.   If Smith makes Opening Day but goes on the DL shortly after that, then Drake will probably already be DFA'd    Then Verrett or any of the other starters could get the call.

That is the way I see it considering that I think Wilson and Tavarez probably make the team with or without Smiths injury.  What do you think?

Smith was leading off every inning of an intrasquad game on the 25th and they were said to be having him get more at bats in other games. He's not playing in the major league games so they can get him ready faster. Last I read, he was still expected to be ready for opening day.

My bubble guys are Mancini, Ynoa, Wilson, Nuno, Gentry for three spots. If Smith is injured, that makes four spots. I think that would make Gentry a lock.

They had been talking about going short a starter until the 15th to make room for a bat. Smith to DL would allow them to carry the traditional 12 pitchers, although they would likely start with 4 starters and 8 in the bullpen. The last two in the bullpen could piggyback on the 15th if not given heavy use earlier.

Or you could send one of the pitchers to AAA and carry Mancini for an extra bat. I would go with the pitchers, personally.

Archived