Bye bye Tavarez

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See..this is what I thought. Trust your gut, not Frobby:)

I think the determining factor was his defense. They LOVED his speed but in the end, he isn't a plus defender. I personally think this is the right move and we should keep Macini or Alvarez.

Also, Santander is the real prospect here with upside. Assuming he isn't awful in the field, he is the must keep.

Just now, SteveA said:

I don't get how this works.   The sidebar article says if he clears waivers we can keep him in AAA.   So Boston doesn't have some sort of right to get him back anymore, because we waived him???

I didn't read the article but that is wrong. Some other team can claim him but they have the same conditions we do-must say on roster. If not, he is returned to AAA of the Red Sox. But if he clears, we can trade for him I believe.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

I didn't read the article but that is wrong. Some other team can claim him but they have the same conditions we do-must say on roster. If not, he is returned to AAA of the Red Sox. But if he clears, we can trade for him I believe.

The sidebar article on OH says the source is Jon Meoli on Twitter.   The quote from the article says " Assuming he manages to pass through waivers unclaimed, he will remain in the Orioles' organization -- though not as part of the active 40-man roster. "

I can't actually click on the Twitter link, social media sites are blocked here on the work computers.

Just now, SteveA said:

The sidebar article on OH says the source is Jon Meoli on Twitter.   The quote from the article says " Assuming he manages to pass through waivers unclaimed, he will remain in the Orioles' organization -- though not as part of the active 40-man roster. "

I can't actually click on the Twitter link, social media sites are blocked here on the work computers.

that is absolutely wrong

Rene88 is right on the beginning of the process. Any team can claim him but be subject to the same rules about being on the active roster. If he clears waivers, he must be offered back to the Red Sox. Iirc, they have to pay $25K to take him back. If they decline, the Orioles can outright him. There would also be. Potential for a trade.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he clears waivers, the Orioles then have to offer him back at half of the selection fee. If the Red Sox don't give that fee he would remain in the Orioles organization. The teams can also work a trade.

But he MUST clear waivers for this to happen. (I know you understand this, just stating for sake of explanation)

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Jon is incorrect. 

21 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

See..this is what I thought. Trust your gut, not Frobby:)

When did I ever say I expected Tavarez to make the team?    I think Tavarez acquitted himself well, but the fact that he was left-handed and unpolished defensively always raised significant doubts whether he'd make the team.    In any event, I think he proved a worthwhile pick, even if he didn't make the cut in the end.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When did I ever say I expected Tavarez to make the team?    I think Tavarez acquitted himself well, but the fact that he was left-handed and unpolished defensively always raised significant doubts whether he'd make the team.    In any event, I think he proved a worthwhile pick, even if he didn't make the cut in the end.

Just was being silly. I respect your feedback sir, we don't agree frequently but all in good fun. My point was sometimes you think one thing and then after a while change your mind after reading other viewpoints despite your owns judgement.

Agreed, his defense was main culprit, doubt anyone claims him. I just hope we don't overpay for him if we do a trade. Never saw anything in Almanazar and they got him back (he was a throw in sounded like). Honestly, I am glad to see they were able to move on from their rule 5 love fest that happens ever year.

Santander is the guy to keep.

Of note, I have seen a few Rule 5's returned already, we didn't put in claims on any of them either.

This move does setup a lot of movie pieces for our 25/40 man.

Archived