Any concern about Hardy?

Going Underground

11 minutes ago, big_sparxx said:

There's an assumption that they will manage his AB's to ensure he doesn't reach 600, to ensure the contract clause isn't automatically engaged. Its a business decision now....

Obviously there are business reasons for keeping him from getting 600 PA.    But for purely baseball reasons, I don't think it will be close.    

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

If he continues with a .430 OPS it won't just be a business decision. Soon they will have to consider whether Janish or Andino or Flaherty is the better option to let the team win.

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

If he continues with a .430 OPS it won't just be a business decision. Soon they will have to consider whether Janish or Andino or Flaherty is the better option to let the team win.

Aren't the actual facts sufficient to argue your point?   Hardy's OPS is .484.    I'm not worried that it will stay that low, but he's obviously not hitting very well right now.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep one game he is and the next he isn't.  But I am not sure 100% vintage Hardy on defense is worth his bat.

Not at .484 OPS.    He probably has to be over .600 OPS.   It's still early, so we'll see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aren't the actual facts sufficient to argue your point?   Hardy's OPS is .484.    I'm not worried that it will stay that low, but he's obviously not hitting very well right now.

Sorry just took a guess off the top of my head, and I knew it was 4 something, and my point doesn't change whether it is .400 or .499

Hey I like JJ to but he has been in decline since before DD extended him, only 9 HR's in 2014 (power gone), .564 OPS in 2015, only 114 and 115 games played in 15, and 16

and now a .484 OPS in his first 107 AB's of 2017, with some shaky defensive moments.

If the O's would have sold high on some of their pieces (Jim Johnson, Darren O'day, Trumbo, or even Davis) we might have JJ's replacement ready to plug in, and this would have been less painful to all O's fans

Should be reason to believe he can be at least 600 OPS. Last year he was at 716 while injured. I'd be curious if he has anything lingering, but there's reason to believe he can certainly pick it up to an acceptable level. 

His career OPS in April is 627. By far the lowest month of his career. Hopefully he can get going here in May. 

3 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Should be reason to believe he can be at least 600 OPS. Last year he was at 716 while injured. I'd be curious if he has anything lingering, but there's reason to believe he can certainly pick it up to an acceptable level. 

I'm wondering about that too, mainly because he hasn't looked as fluid as usual in the field (though he looked good last night).    Remember he sat out the start of spring training with a stiff back.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm wondering about that too, mainly because he hasn't looked as fluid as usual in the field (though he looked good last night).    Remember he sat out the start of spring training with a stiff back.

It's possible at this point in his career, and given his injury history, that Hardy will always have things lingering. Just need to hope he can fight through it and find his form. I wasn't aware that April is a historically slow month for him, but I suppose that is somewhat encouraging.

Hardy is a negative WAR player so far this season (-0.5 WAR).  He basically replacement level in 2015.  He was worth 2 WAR last year.  It seems doubtful that he will do better than 1.0 WAR next year, and $14 million is an overpay for 1 WAR.  Better to spend the money on a younger player who may have more upside, even if you have to eat the $2 million buyout.  

Apparently he needs 600 PA this year in order for his 2018 option to vest (plus he has to pass a physical after this year).

He hasn't had that many PA in a season since 2013.............so there's that.

25 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Hardy is a negative WAR player so far this season (-0.5 WAR).  He basically replacement level in 2015.  He was worth 2 WAR last year.  It seems doubtful that he will do better than 1.0 WAR next year, and $14 million is an overpay for 1 WAR.  Better to spend the money on a younger player who may have more upside, even if you have to eat the $2 million buyout.  

I don't think it's even a question.   Even if Hardy rebounds the rest of the year, we could get him back for less than $14 mm if we decided we wanted him here in 2018.

Archived