Who gets sent down tomorrow for Miley?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, El Gordo said:

He has to go through waivers first

Gentry was previously waived and designated hence he would not have to report to Norfolk BUT could/would become a free agent if done so again.  The Orioles did not add him to the Forty/Twenty-Five just to release him. IMO

Drake or Nuno

There were rumors that Drake had passed through waivers right before the season started.  If that is true then he is the one the O's will send down.     He has never been outrighted so he has to accept an outright assignment to AAA.   I don't think it will be Drake if he has to be place on waivers now. They don't want to lose him.

It can't be Wilson because the way things are going with the Norfolk pitching staff, Wilson looks like he may be needed to start on the 15th.  Sending him down would make him unavailable to be recalled for 10 day unless there is a injury to someone on the O's major league roster.

I agree that the O's would like to keep Mancini for the Boston series to face lefties.

The O's want to keep Rickard as a defensive replacement late is games.

That leaves Nuno as the likely candidate.  But only if Drake has not been passed through waivers.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

But only if Drake has not been passed through waivers.

I had wondered if Oliver Drake had been placed on "Revocable Waivers", had a claim from another club and was pulled back off waivers.  If that is the case, he can not be placed on those "Revocable Waivers" again this year.  He can go through the DFA Waivers to remove him from the Forty Man Roster and hope that no one claims him. He could be the player named later in either of the trades recently made, or he could just be traded to whom ever claimed him originally IF he was placed on "Revocable Waivers" and withdrawn.

13 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I had wondered if Oliver Drake had been placed on "Revocable Waivers", had a claim from another club and was pulled back off waivers.  If that is the case, he can not be placed on those "Revocable Waivers" again this year.  He can go through the DFA Waivers to remove him from the Forty Man Roster and hope that no one claims him. He could be the player named later in either of the trades recently made, or he could just be traded to whom ever claimed him originally IF he was placed on "Revocable Waivers" and withdrawn.

Revocable waivers are only used in August and September.   Can't use them now.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Revocable waivers are only used in August and September.   Can't use them now.

I can not find any place that states that they are only used then and if you can place a link if you could please.

8 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I can not find any place that states that they are only used then and if you can place a link if you could please.

This calls them Trade Waivers but they are also called revocable waivers.  The definition is the same:

Trade Assignment Waivers
Trade assignment waivers are utilized in August as a means to gauge trade interest. Between August 1 and the end of the season, a player may not be traded without first clearing trade assignment Major League waivers. If the player is not claimed within 47 business-day hours, he may be traded to any club. If the player is claimed by another club, the request may be revoked, allowing his current club to pull him back. However, the player’s current club also may 1) work out a trade with the claiming club within 48 ½ business-day hours, or 2) elect to allow the claiming club to take the player for a $20,000 fee and assume responsibility for his current contract. If more than one club claims a player, the club with the lower winning percentage has priority, but American League clubs have priority for AL players, and National League clubs have priority for NL players. Once a player on major league waivers has been claimed and the waiver request revoked, any subsequent request for major league waivers during the same waiver period is irrevocable. A player with a no-trade clause who is claimed on Major League waivers must be pulled back if the player’s no-trade clause allows him to block a deal to the claiming club. However, the player may waive the no-trade clause and join the claiming club

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/transactions-glossary/

The easiest are Rickard or Mancini. We would lose no players to another team. We have enough OF's without them. They could get regular playing time in the minors to work on their game. Our pitching staff will not be short of available arms. If there is an injury and we need them, they can come right back up.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Drake or Nuno

There were rumors that Drake had passed through waivers right before the season started.  If that is true then he is the one the O's will send down.     He has never been outrighted so he has to accept an outright assignment to AAA.   I don't think it will be Drake if he has to be place on waivers now. They don't want to lose him.

It can't be Wilson because the way things are going with the Norfolk pitching staff, Wilson looks like he may be needed to start on the 15th.  Sending him down would make him unavailable to be recalled for 10 day unless there is a injury to someone on the O's major league roster.

I agree that the O's would like to keep Mancini for the Boston series to face lefties.

The O's want to keep Rickard as a defensive replacement late is games.

That leaves Nuno as the likely candidate.  But only if Drake has not been passed through waivers.

Good point on Wilson and the 4/15 start.

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This calls them Trade Waivers but they are also called revocable waivers.  The definition is the same:

Trade Assignment Waivers
Trade assignment waivers are utilized in August as a means to gauge trade interest. Between August 1 and the end of the season, a player may not be traded without first clearing trade assignment Major League waivers. If the player is not claimed within 47 business-day hours, he may be traded to any club. If the player is claimed by another club, the request may be revoked, allowing his current club to pull him back. However, the player’s current club also may 1) work out a trade with the claiming club within 48 ½ business-day hours, or 2) elect to allow the claiming club to take the player for a $20,000 fee and assume responsibility for his current contract. If more than one club claims a player, the club with the lower winning percentage has priority, but American League clubs have priority for AL players, and National League clubs have priority for NL players. Once a player on major league waivers has been claimed and the waiver request revoked, any subsequent request for major league waivers during the same waiver period is irrevocable. A player with a no-trade clause who is claimed on Major League waivers must be pulled back if the player’s no-trade clause allows him to block a deal to the claiming club. However, the player may waive the no-trade clause and join the claiming club

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/transactions-glossary/

But it does not state that the Revocable Waivers can not be used at any other point in the season.  It does state it is "Utilized" in August but does not state that it is not usable at any other point in the season hence my question of it having been used now to get a feel for trade value/interest.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/8/16/4625834/revocable-waivers-the-hitchhikers-guide

32 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

But it does not state that the Revocable Waivers can not be used at any other point in the season.  It does state it is "Utilized" in August but does not state that it is not usable at any other point in the season hence my question of it having been used now to get a feel for trade value/interest.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/8/16/4625834/revocable-waivers-the-hitchhikers-guide

(1) Trade assignment waivers. Trade assignment waivers are required for any assignment of a player from a Major League Club to another Major League Club during the period commencing 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time on July 31 and ending at the close of the championship season. Trade assignment waivers may not be obtained between the close of a championship season and 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time on the following July 31. 

https://registration.mlbpa.org/pdf/2015MajorLeagueRules.pdf

Tough to say. I'd previously though Mancini, as someone in another thread pointed out that playing him in that giant, quirky right field in Boston could be dangerous. It looks like we'll see Pomeranz on Tuesday in Boston, Liriano on Thursday in Toronto, and Happ on Sunday (when we'd need to make a second roster move anyway). So, a lot of chances to use him against lefties this week.

Not sure what that all means, but does seem to make most sense to send out a reliever today. Wilson or Nuno is my guess, though it could leave us a a little short in the pen today. I wouldn't like to risk losing Drake by DFA at this point.

Archived