Who gets sent down tomorrow for Miley?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping Mancini. Him and Gentry seem to be squeezing each other. 

In all reality, Mancini's future here was gone when they signed Trumbo. If that's if he even has a future anywhere. I like the kid but I've seen many Orioles first base prospects with iffy "doubles" power never show reason to get promoted once they arrive in Norfolk. Brandon Snyder, Joe Mahoney, Christian Walker. Walker actually has a higher slugging percentage than Mancini did last year. 

It would depend on usage today, injuries happen, and who has options.

For instance, if both Nuno and Wilson pitch today and are completely ineffective because of shoulder tightness either could go out on DL.  If Gentry, Kim, Smith, Mancini or Rickard run into a wall they could get placed on the DL. 

Mancini, Rickard, Givens,Hart, Wilson and Nuno all have options so any one of them could go for Ten Days also.

If Mancini is going to learn to play the outfield, he has to do it in Norfolk. I have serious doubts about the whole hair-brained scheme anyway. I didn't think he was ever going to get to that ball the other night. He's so slow and unathletic that even if he can catch fly balls he's going to be less mobil out there than Trumbo. And despite his spectacular debut last year, the mediocre numbers he put up in AAA last year lead me to question whether his bat is quite there yet either (although I do think he has a future as a platoon/bench bat in the big leagues). I still think the best option going forward from the Orioles' perspective is to look to include him in a deal either near the deadline or next offseason, since he's blocked at 1B and DH. So send him down, see if he can play in the outfield at all and hopefully he'll put up good enough numbers to attract some interest or help the club later on.

I almost want to see Rickard get optioned.  He needs to work on his route-running in the outfield, and his batting against RHP.  Would have lots of opportunities to do that in Norfolk.  Leave Gentry as the defensive late inning replacement and Mancini as the bench bat, and to give CD a rest once or twice a month at 1B.  

Alvarez is learning RF at Norfolk too, isn't he? That might be tough to get both Mancini and Alvarez time out there. That being said, Mancini makes the most sense or possibly Drake if they think enough time has passed since the start of the season that he has a better chance of clearing waivers.

48 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

It stinks that Mancini has to be sent down. However, this just shows me how good the Orioles roster is right now. There is not a guy on the roster who deserves to be sent down.

There is not really room for a strictly right handed bench bat with the way the roster is configured. I think Mancini is here because of the way the pitching worked out. 

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

Alvarez is learning RF at Norfolk too, isn't he? That might be tough to get both Mancini and Alvarez time out there. That being said, Mancini makes the most sense or possibly Drake if they think enough time has passed since the start of the season that he has a better chance of clearing waivers.

They can rotate and there's no law against giving one or both some time in left. But you can't let either one learn the position in the big leagues. If I had to play one of them, it would be Alvarez because he's more athletic and moves so much better.

I agree with Weams' comment above. It appears that making the opening day roster (and getting that start) was a reward for having a good spring. There's no upside to having him sit on the bench waiting to pinch hit and hamstringing the team's defensive flexibility at the same time. If he doesn't get sent down tomorrow, it will happen on the 15th when they need a 5th starter.

Archived