Craig Gentry Reactionary Thread

wildcard

Gentry made another great catch in the gap yesterday.  Diving for a ball that Buck termed as almost a sure hit off the bat.    In 2013 before he was injured he hit righties  for a 281/349/360/709.  He had 24 steals  and was caught 3 times in 246 at bats overall.   

This spring he is hitting 300/440/600/1040 vs righties.  I know he is hitting against minor leaguers and the wind has helped him on his homers but what if Gentry hits righties like he did in 2013?

Gentry normally hits lefties well.  His defense is a big plus.  He has the arm to play right field.   Could we see Rickard/Jones/Gentry on an everyday basis starting games for a while? Put some speed at the top of a powerful lineup? 

Gentry has a history of getting hurt.   So it might not last that long but if he goes on the DL that makes room for a Rule 5 player a little later in the year.   

If Gentry and Rickard both hit righties that could make for some interesting lineups and better defense.   Just saying....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gentry is fully healed and back to his old form it would be a tremendous plus for the Orioles.  That said, even if Buck plays Gentry and Rickard more, Seth Smith and Hyun-Soo Kim are still going to get a lot of at bats vs RHP.  As blashpemous as it sounds, Adam Jones could use some extra time off with Gentry playing CF.

All this and Michael Bourn and Pedro Alvarez in the minors?  Good stuff.

Don't be fooled by Spring Training numbers though.  I'll trust whatever Buck's decision is.

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If Gentry is fully healed and back to his old form it would be a tremendous plus for the Orioles.  That said, even if Buck plays Gentry and Rickard more, Seth Smith and Hyun-Soo Kim are still going to get a lot of at bats vs RHP.  As blashpemous as it sounds, Adam Jones could use some extra time off with Gentry playing CF.

All this and Michael Bourn and Pedro Alvarez in the minors?  Good stuff.

Don't be fooled by Spring Training numbers though.  I'll trust whatever Buck's decision is.

Me too. A lot of fastballs and fastball counts in the spring. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Gentry made another great catch in the gap yesterday.  Diving for a ball that Buck termed as almost a sure hit off the bat.    

That's not what happened.    The lead off batter smashed a ball into the gap, but Gentry raced over, slid and corralled it on one hop and kept it from going to the wall for extra bases.    Excellent play, but not a catch and not a dive.    

I think Gentry has a good chance to make the team.     He's the best defender in camp and he's looked pretty decent at the plate.    There's a risk that his hitting is a spring mirage.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That's not what happened.    The lead off batter smashed a ball into the gap, but Gentry raced over, slid and corralled it on one hop and kept it from going to the wall for extra bases.    Excellent play, but not a catch and not a dive.    

I think Gentry has a good chance to make the team.     He's the best defender in camp and he's looked pretty decent at the plate.    There's a risk that his hitting is a spring mirage.

Thanks for the correction.

I will be very surprised if Gentry really contributes anything to the major league team this year. He hasn't been good in years, he's 33, and pretty much everyone he's competing against is a higher upside player. If they want to keep Santander then I don't think Gentry makes the OD roster. But DD has pulled rabbits out of the hat before. 

I think Gentry is ahead  of Santander on the priority list for who makes the opening day 25 man roster.  They want to keep Santander.  Probably try to DL him.  But Gentry is immediate help to win games.  Santander is help for the future.  Dan and Buck's priority is win now.

It is possible that Gentry has played his way onto the team. I would love to see Trumbo as everyday DH and a RH bat instead of Santander or Tavarez does that. I still doubt he starts much against RHP simply because we don't need him to. We have Kim and Smith. 

Archived