Craig Gentry Reactionary Thread

wildcard

47 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Not what I was saying.  Remember who was in our OF for 2014?  Nelson Cruz.  I highly doubt Gentry will make our break whether or not we get a home game playoff or not.

Some of the options to replace him would have the same overall effect of make or break so I guess it is more of a dislike for Gentry than an overall observation of team construction.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Some of the options to replace him would have the same overall effect of make or break so I guess it is more of a dislike for Gentry than an overall observation of team construction.

Rickard/Kim/Mancini would more likely than not outproduce Gentry offensively by a wide margin.  His defense isn't enough to make up for that.  It's not a dislike for Gentry but more of a bewilderment that people think that losing him would be a detriment to the team.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Rickard/Kim/Mancini would more likely than not outproduce Gentry offensively by a wide margin.  His defense isn't enough to make up for that.  It's not a dislike for Gentry but more of a bewilderment that people think that losing him would be a detriment to the team.

Until the roster needs to get more in-line with the upcoming schedule (May) and the OPT OUTS of the Minor League Contracts, there is no hurry to rid the roster of Gentry IMO.  His ST was great BUT that was because he was actually playing a LOT MORE than he has into the regular season.  Take a picture of the roster today and see how much it changes by May 01.  Some players will be jettisoned if unproductive and with out options, players will get injured, injured players will return and the MiLB contracts will become extinct through opt outs.  This roster, Norfolk's roster and Bowie's roster will be in a constant transition as players get promoted, demoted, released and Opt Out.

5 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Until the roster needs to get more in-line with the upcoming schedule (May) and the OPT OUTS of the Minor League Contracts, there is no hurry to rid the roster of Gentry IMO.  His ST was great BUT that was because he was actually playing a LOT MORE than he has into the regular season.  Take a picture of the roster today and see how much it changes by May 01.  Some players will be jettisoned if unproductive and with out options, players will get injured, injured players will return and the MiLB contracts will become extinct through opt outs.  This roster, Norfolk's roster and Bowie's roster will be in a constant transition as players get promoted, demoted, released and Opt Out.

We have OF depth in the minors.  Bourne, Dickerson, and even Alvarez would be options.  

15 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Joey was robbed of two hits, so the 0-6 is not very accurate at all. He would have had the walkoff hit on OD if not for the spectacular catch by Bautista, and he would have had another double if not for the spectacular play by Donaldson. 

Joey has stung the ball so far, that's all. You can't compare it at all to Gentry's current 0-fer, during which he has looked incredibly overmatched.

I appreciate  your perspective but that would be a  new way of scoring.  Count every ball that should have been a hit.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

We have OF depth in the minors.  Bourne, Dickerson, and even Alvarez would be options.  

IF you are going to mess with somebody and have no particular interest in the long term effect I would need to ask WHO better to have playing an occasional role and not getting the PT that is required for players to perform at their respective optimal levels Gentry or those that are rehabbing/learning a new position???  Bourne is in extended Spring Training because of the Thumb/Hand issue, Alvarez is learning the Outfield position because we already have depth at first base and DH long term, Dickerson is batting below the Mendoza line against MiLB pitching so Gentry seems to be the player that is/will be in the mix until May or a roster spot is needed for someone else that will give a better defensive option and is currently NOT at Norfolk.IMO

What do these 24 players all have in common????

Devon Travis

Austin Hedges

Gorkys Hernandez

Russell Martin

Ryan Schimpf

Stephen Cardullo

Jacob May

Steve Pearce

Jose Reyes

Brandon Belt

Pablo Sandoval

Logan Forsythe

Tommy Joseph

Carlos Gomez

A.J. Pollock

Jarrett Parker

Dustin Garneau

Craig Gentry

Miguel Cabrera

Yasmani Grandal

Greg Bird

Melky Cabrera

Todd Frazier

Jose Iglesias

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Gentry has until Rickard is ready to play to show what he can do.   And I would not rush Joey back.  Joey was 1-16 at the end of ST. And he is 0-6 on the season.   He could use some time at AAA on rehab to get his bat going.  

When Joey is ready then a decision has to made to call him up and DFA Gentry or to keep Gentry and option Joey.     The way Gentry is hitting right now he probably passes through waivers.

Yea, but a .924 OPS overall.  He had three walks over that 16 AB/19 PA span (talk about tiny sample sizes!), making it a slightly more respectable showing.  Overall, he had 70 PAs in which he went .291/.451/.473/.924.

14 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Devon Travis

Austin Hedges

Gorkys Hernandez

Russell Martin

Ryan Schimpf

Stephen Cardullo

Jacob May

Steve Pearce

Jose Reyes

Brandon Belt

Pablo Sandoval

Logan Forsythe

Tommy Joseph

Carlos Gomez

A.J. Pollock

Jarrett Parker

Dustin Garneau

Craig Gentry

Miguel Cabrera

Yasmani Grandal

Greg Bird

Melky Cabrera

Todd Frazier

Jose Iglesias

I was going to take a stab and say that they all have negative WAR, but at least one doesn't (Melky Cabrera is positive in both fWAR and rWAR)... continuing to think

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I was going to take a stab and say that they all have negative WAR, but at least one doesn't (Melky Cabrera is positive in both fWAR and rWAR)... continuing to think

It has to do with just 2017 and SSS for those that are against Gentry being an Oriole.

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

It has to do with just 2017 and SSS for those that are against Gentry being an Oriole.

Right, I was referring to 2017 WAR.  All on that list are certainly off to a poor start.  Trying to think what the common thread is (specifically).

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Right, I was referring to 2017 WAR.  All on that list are certainly off to a poor start.  Trying to think what the common thread is (specifically).

All have had 12 or more Plate Appearances without a hit.  Devon Travis is at 24 PA's to lead the pack of bums that should be relegated to DFA status (if you listen to the nay-sayers).

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

Devon Travis

Austin Hedges

Gorkys Hernandez

Russell Martin

Ryan Schimpf

Stephen Cardullo

Jacob May

Steve Pearce

Jose Reyes

Brandon Belt

Pablo Sandoval

Logan Forsythe