Chance Sisco: 'I'll Be Ready' When Orioles Call

PressBoxOnline

16 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Well there are plenty of smart baseball people who think he can stick at catcher, so I think it's fair to say that a fan (who has probably only seen him play a handful of times) calling that he's hopeless there is "early and arbitrary".

If the Orioles don't like Sisco at catcher (I think they do like him there) they should trade him to a team who will play him there.  He doesn't have the bat for DH and the team already has a surplus of young outfielders.

I know you want Wynns to get a shot, I do too, but maybe the best thing for him is to get left off the 40 and picked by another team in the rule 5 draft.

Plenty of "smart baseball people" have looked like total idiots before. To me, he COULD stick as a catcher, if you don't value the ability to stop runners. His bat can play, but that's about it.

I think the Orioles are a little stubborn. I don't know if other teams see him as a catcher, but if someone does, they could trade him for starting pitching, especially if they feel Wynns would be a better candidate.

As for Wynns, yeah, I want him to get a shot. Growing up around baseball and the Keys almost my whole life, I haven't been that off about players (before the days of knowing about this site, draft status and Baseball America picks.) Personality aside, there are somethings about his game that stands out a lot to me that I didn't see in Sisco. Whether he plays in the Majors in Baltimore or elsewhere really depends on the Winter. A Rule 5 pick elsewhere wouldn't be the worst thing (and might actually be the best,) but it, to me, would feel like a wasted shot by the Orioles to have another league minimum catcher who would do the necessary things.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It was on the radio broadcast, when Duquette sat in for an inning and answered questions.    Angel was asking him about what we do about catcher if Castillo leaves.    Of course Duquette mentioned Sisco, but he also said something like "there's the kid Austin Wynns who had a really nice year in AA and is a good defender, and we also like Pena."

Thanks! 

I didn't say "will" stick at catcher, I said can stick at catcher. I'm not discounting your opinion, you aren't the one who said "he's not going to cut it as a catcher" and if you did say that, I'd give it more value than someone overreacting to a handful of games because I know you watch a lot of baseball and have a good idea what you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I didn't say "will" stick at catcher, I said can stick at catcher. I'm not discounting your opinion, you aren't the one who said "he's not going to cut it as a catcher" and if you did say that, I'd give it more value than someone overreacting to a handful of games because I know you watch a lot of baseball and have a good idea what you are talking about.

My impression is that most non-Orioles analysts who have commented this year have become more comfortable with Sisco's defense.   Of course, you guys watch the O's prospects a lot more often than they probably do.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Honestly, I HAD said that before, because I based it more weighted on defense. A LOT more on defense. I loosened up a bit as I was extremely harsh on Chance early on. Once I took his hitting into account, that is what gave him a small boost to me, plus after talking to a few more players and getting some more opinions and view points.

IF someone makes the opinion that he "can't cut it as catcher" after a few games, based on his defense, I can fully understand and see why.

Fans, like managers and organizations, view different aspects of players. Some really only care about hitting. Some only care about defense. Some only care about a pitchers fastball. Some about their breaking stuff. Some about their control. Some fans, who like to dig deeper (like you, Frobby, me, Can, ect) will check out all aspects. Though sometimes we still can be swayed a little one way or another based on our tendency.

Can't we all just get along?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My impression is that most non-Orioles analysts who have commented this year have become more comfortable with Sisco's defense.   Of course, you guys watch the O's prospects a lot more often than they probably do.

He didn't regress and stayed the course with his throwing. I didn't get to really watch Norfolk this year, but in Bowie, they weren't throwing many breaking balls in the dirt when he was catching. I don't know if they reduced it too in Norfolk. That is another reason I really want to make it to Spring Training for a week and watch.

18 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Oh, he's a catcher. Not a real good one, but that is his position.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Can't we all just get along?

Of course, I respect your opinion and appreciate the discussion. 

FYI, I don't take anything personally. Even if you were to say my opinion on a player is stupid and dead wrong, I'd argue why I disagree but wouldn't think any less of you for it.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

Of course, I respect your opinion and appreciate the discussion. 

FYI, I don't take anything personally. Even if you were to say my opinion on a player is stupid and dead wrong, I'd argue why I disagree but wouldn't think any less of you for it.

Pfft, that's just stupid and dead wrong thing to say!

:leaving:

21 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

That's quite an early and arbitrarily judgement unless you have some info the rest of us don't to back it up.

The guy looks like he can hit, but it is my opinion that his defense is too much of a liability. It has been this way for a while. He is not going to magically get better. We already have Jones in center and Beckham at SS, so we do not need to weaken the defense up the middle anymore. The impressive offensive numbers he has shown may be even better if he isn't catching. At least the O's have not blocked the DH spot, so he could DH....oh wait

2 hours ago, pastorfan said:

The guy looks like he can hit, but it is my opinion that his defense is too much of a liability. It has been this way for a while. He is not going to magically get better. We already have Jones in center and Beckham at SS, so we do not need to weaken the defense up the middle anymore. The impressive offensive numbers he has shown may be even better if he isn't catching. At least the O's have not blocked the DH spot, so he could DH....oh wait

He doesn't have to "magically" get better, he's 22 and has only been catching 5 years.  Improvements would be normal.  All the reports are that he's improved significantly in the last year. BTW, I'm curious as to what about his defense do you think is a liability (I'm guessing you are equating throwing out runners with catcher defense)? Also, he would have to improve significantly offensively to hit well enough to have value at DH.  He's too athletic to need to go straight to DH even if  you have to move him off catcher anyway.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'd like to see him take one more year in the minors.  Catching is so important and so hard for a young catcher - I'd like him to get better, more confident, and more comfortable with the pitchers before taking over in 2019.  2019 is going to be a year where we have a lot of young players starting in Baltimore.  It'll be like an invasion of the young Birds.  I want Sisco to be a leader of the invasion - not just a struggling young O.       

• 6 months later...

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 4/25)

NUMBER 1

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

CHANCTHOMALESISCO

o

Sisco has 75 PA at the MLB level going back to last year. Good for a .365 OBP and .857 OPS. 

He’s worked on his throws. 4/8 now?  And he appears to be a pretty darn good pitch framer. 

Being in Norfolk in 17’ kind of killed his hype, just like it did to Mancini in 16’. Something to consider when are top hitting prospects have to roll through there. Probably the reason Hays and  Mullins are in AA again. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sisco has 75 PA at the MLB level going back to last year. Good for a .365 OBP and .857 OPS. 

He’s worked on his throws. 4/8 now?  And he appears to be a pretty darn good pitch framer. 

Being in Norfolk in 17’ kind of killed his hype, just like it did to Mancini in 16’. Something to consider when are top hitting prospects have to roll through there. Probably the reason Hays and  Mullins are in AA again. 

Front page.

Archived