TT: Five most important things so far

Tony-OH

I'm inclined to think that Mancini looking serviceable in the field is more important long term than his hot start with the bat. A year ago, when they were giving Christian Walker a shot in the OF, many believed this meant that Mancini could never be useful beyond 1B / DH. If he can hold his own out there his bat should play--even after he cools off a bit. 

All good points.

I have also been happy with how Smith is hitting (his extra-base hits are rockets) and that Hardy is stinging the ball again. We don't need Hardy to hit 25 homers -- nor will he -- but consistent hard contact out of the #9 slot would provide a huge jolt.

It looks to me like a slightly better version of last year's team.    Still a power-oriented offense, but a few guys who can execute small ball when needed.   Still overall poor outfield defense, but better ability to put decent defenders out there when we want to.    Still thin starting pitching, but Bundy with more experience and a new weapon, Gausman's slider improved and Miley returning to form.    

Still waiting to see what versions of Tillman and Britton return from the DL,

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It looks to me like a slightly better version of last year's team.    Still a power-oriented offense, but a few guys who can execute small ball when needed.   Still overall poor outfield defense, but better ability to put decent defenders out there when we want to.    Still thin starting pitching, but Bundy with more experience and a new weapon, Gausman's slider improved and Miley returning to form.    

Still waiting to see what versions of Tillman and Britton return from the DL,

Both are huge keys to this season. I wasn't impressed with Crichton yesterday, so someone is going to have to come up here and be able pitch those 6th innings if now Givens and O'day will move up an inning with Britton out. Ryan Meisinger has been throwing well in Bowie. I'd like to see him get a promotion to Norfolk and he could be an option. He's always had the best numbers between him Yacobonis and Crichton, but his fastball is in the low 90s vs the mid 90s. If Britton ends up on the DL longer than 10 days, someone is going to have to step up big time in the pen.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Both are huge keys to this season. I wasn't impressed with Crichton yesterday, so someone is going to have to come up here and be able pitch those 6th innings if now Givens and O'day will move up an inning with Britton out. Ryan Meisinger has been throwing well in Bowie. I'd like to see him get a promotion to Norfolk and he could be an option. He's always had the best numbers between him Yacobonis and Crichton, but his fastball is in the low 90s vs the mid 90s. If Britton ends up on the DL longer than 10 days, someone is going to have to step up big time in the pen.

Good article Tony. I thought Chricton flashed the potential to be good yesterday. Tough lineup and he had poor command. Hopefully his command will be better because there were lots of hard hit balls. 

Meisenger is intriguing because he goes multiple innings. I think we give the guys on the 40 man the first look before Meisenger or Yacobnis. Liranzo stayed pretty long with us in ST and I think will be the next guy up. 

DD made a flurry of moves to get high upside bullpen arms. Just a coincidence with Britton's injury?  We used the 40 man to find a bunch of SP options. It looks like Asher and Aquino have stepped up. That allowed us to move so low ceiling SP options of the roster. 

- Bundy is turning into a real ace right now IMO. His stuff is electric (even when he's not sitting at 95-97), he doesn't get rattled, and he has excellent control right now. Maybe we even see a velocity spike once he gets going and the weather warms up a bit.

- Mancini looking serviceable in the field so far is crazy (why didn't they try this last year?). Credit to Buck for thinking outside of the box again ala Pearce at 2b. 

- Wilson has looked pretty bad. I don't think he's on the 40 man much longer the way that Dan is making incremental moves. 

- The bullpen injuries are really starting to scare me.

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2017/04/16/five-important-things-far-year/

How about you? What else have been important so far?

o

Good list, Tony.

6) Attitude.

Regardless of the numerous injuries that they have had to deal with, the Orioles have not made any excuses. They have simply played the teams on their schedule with tunnel vision (one game at a time), and gone about their business.

o

56 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Good list, Tony.

6) Attitude.

Regardless of the numerous injuries that they have had to deal with, the Orioles have not made any excuses. They have simply played the teams on their schedule with tunnel vision (one game at a time), and gone about their business.

o

^5, nice post, and I agree.

This is what helps set Buck apart from most managers, his ability to keep his team focused and "next man" up mentality.

3 hours ago, dan-O said:

I'll add one.

6. Chris Davis going the other way consistently. If he keeps that up for an extending period of time, look out.

Yep, that has been the key to his success so far this year. Davis is always a better hitter when he uses the whole field and takes his singles to left center.

3 hours ago, canonfaz said:

- Bundy is turning into a real ace right now IMO. His stuff is electric (even when he's not sitting at 95-97), he doesn't get rattled, and he has excellent control right now. Maybe we even see a velocity spike once he gets going and the weather warms up a bit.

- Mancini looking serviceable in the field so far is crazy (why didn't they try this last year?). Credit to Buck for thinking outside of the box again ala Pearce at 2b. 

- Wilson has looked pretty bad. I don't think he's on the 40 man much longer the way that Dan is making incremental moves. 

- The bullpen injuries are really starting to scare me.

On top of it, his arm looks to be pretty solid. He's already made a couple nice strong throws with carry. After hearing about how bad his arm was, it certainly is much better than advertised from the outfield.

Archived