This is what happens when your owner dies.

weams

On 7/26/2017 at 8:12 AM, Frobby said:

Didnt he also own the O's at one time? 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Just asking. If Peter Angelos is such a horrible owner...did the Orioles who made the playoffs in 3 out of the last 4 seasons just do that in spite of him?And how about his contributions, which are massive, to the community?I think the days of blaming Peter Angelos for anything and everything are gone. Blame someone else if you must,Maybe we can start with our pitchers...or is that Peter's fault too?

Point taken. Although, I think you could say that he's indirectly responsible for our current situation because he hired Dan Duquette. I personally would have tried to cut ties with him after the whole Blue Jays situation, but maybe I'm in the minority. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not as stupid as your contribution to it.  And coming from me, that's saying a LOT.

I think we have to point out stupidity, and it seems you agree based on your reply to my comment, which you apparently think is stupid.

When a thread tries to tie an owner of a different team's death to the potential death of Peter Angelos and draw some kind of conclusion, sure, I'll be the guy that says, "hey, that's a real dumb thing that makes no sense!". I'm happy to be that guy.

First of all, these are two different men with two different baseball teams and no conclusion can be drawn. Secondly, it's a slightly morose line of thinking in the first place to contemplate what effect a man's death will have on a baseball team before this man is even dead. He could sell the team before he dies for all we know.

"This is what happens when your owner dies"

Any number of things can happen when the owner of a sports franchise dies. One example was cited in the OP. I don't believe it relates to the Orioles, thus it should be in the MLB section. 

9 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

With all due respect, those "geniuses" have produced three World Series titles this century. What have we produced in the last 33 years?

Those geniuses only produced 1. Other two were mainly by DD and Epstein, who the latter took most of his staff with him to Chicago. The former built the foundation that Epstein added to and won the WS with. 

5 hours ago, interloper said:

"This is what happens when your owner dies"

Any number of things can happen when the owner of a sports franchise dies. One example was cited in the OP. I don't believe it relates to the Orioles, thus it should be in the MLB section. 

Generally, people with less than 100 posts don't make demands of others, but I guess some need to boorishly assert dominance ?

I was was hoping we'd see John take more of an active role, though I guess that comes next offseason when we're looking for a new GM and manager. 

23 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Generally, people with less than 100 posts don't make demands of others, but I guess some need to boorishly assert dominance ?

I was was hoping we'd see John take more of an active role, though I guess that comes next offseason when we're looking for a new GM and manager. 

The problem is that will they be the owners? The Law firm, MASN and the Orioles, along with other Angeols assets are in Peter's name. The estate tax would be insane for the firm, MASN and the O's. 

7 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

No. Eric Bennett Williams had stake in the Skins, along with being the main owner of the O's. 

Edward Bennett Williams was one of the nation's most accomplished lawyers. He brought Lucchino to the Orioles from his Washington firm, Williams & Connelly.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:25 PM, DirtyBird said:

No. We have a very old owner.

I don't recall reading anything about the Angelos' succession plans.  I assume he wants his sons to inherit the team, but you know what they say about assumptions.  John Kent Cooke was public about wanting the Redskins to stay in the family.  But the mecurial owner had an ego just a tad shy of the one belonging the psychopath sleeping at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  He told friends privately that he didn't want his legacy tarnished, or worse outshone by his son.  From today's vantage it might be hard to see, but in the mid 90's the Redskins were an extremely well regarded franchise, especially the front office.  So when Cooke kicked the bucket at 84, his son lost the team, much to the chagrin of other NFL owners.

MLB is perhaps even more into familial succession than the NFL.  They want reliable and long term business partners.  They want quiet owners who don't cause trouble or controversy.  Once biten twice shy, I'm not so sure how willing the rest of the owners are going to tolerate the transfer to his sons.  Having the MASN dispute outlive their father is not going to improve their chances.

1 hour ago, Beetlejuice said:

I don't recall reading anything about the Angelos' succession plans.  I assume he wants his sons to inherit the team, but you know what they say about assumptions.  John Kent Cooke was public about wanting the Redskins to stay in the family.  But the mecurial owner had an ego just a tad shy of the one belonging the psychopath sleeping at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  He told friends privately that he didn't want his legacy tarnished, or worse outshone by his son.  From today's vantage it might be hard to see, but in the mid 90's the Redskins were an extremely well regarded franchise, especially the front office.  So when Cooke kicked the bucket at 84, his son lost the team, much to the chagrin of other NFL owners.

MLB is perhaps even more into familial succession than the NFL.  They want reliable and long term business partners.  They want quiet owners who don't cause trouble or controversy.  Once biten twice shy, I'm not so sure how willing the rest of the owners are going to tolerate the transfer to his sons.  Having the MASN dispute outlive their father is not going to improve their chances.

The inheritance tax is going to be what is going to make or break this. 

Archived