Darren O'Day's struggles

Three Run Homer

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on with O'Day.   He's still striking out over 11 batters per 9 innings and allowing fewer than 7 hits per 9.     In more than half his appearances, he hasn't allowed a baserunner.    But he's walking more guys and has been a bit more home run prone.   Of the five homers he's allowed, two were three-run bombs and one was a 2-run homer.   That's a big chunk of his ERA.    I don't feel he's been nearly as bad as his ERA suggests, but that may just be sentiment talking.    

His GB% is the highest it's been as an Oriole. His HR% is below last year, as is his XBH%. His OPS is .615 vs a Career .605. Even though his BB% is at a career high 11.4% it isn't that much off the 9.9% from last year. He has converted 15 of the 17 save opportunities, or 88%, which is fine for a non closer reliever. Brooks baseball shows no real dip in velocity. The largest change is his LOB% is at a terrible 65.8% versus a career 82%.  Fangraphs likes this years O'Day (0.4 fWAR) much better than last year (0.1fWAR) and about the same as the 2014-2015 version (0.7 & 0.9 fWAR for a full season).

To me, this suggests that when he struggles with his command, he's getting pounded but those times are fewer than what his ERA would suggest.

Archived