Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

Frobby

8 hours ago, El Gordo said:

It's amazing, it's as if no one had seen a season of baseball before. How many times does a guy traded have a good few games before they regress to their mean. Lets hope Beckham comntinues but the odds are he's going to be a .720 OPS SS who makes a lot of errors and bad plays.

Lol...I'm sorry, but your son JJ is done. He'll probably make a good coach though.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

But it's totally the Buck move if one of "his guys" is on the other end.

If he benches this young man while he's hot, I'm going to be PISSED!!! It would be different if JJ was the old JJ. But right now, he's just an old JJ.

9 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'd rather have an average defensive SS who hits .720 OPS and is fast than an above average defensive SS who hits .556 OPS and is the slowest skinny guy in baseball.

Metrics would indicate he's below average.

Just now, El Gordo said:

Metrics would indicate he's below average.

He seems toolsy enough. I was reading some Tampa articles about him that suggested his defensive issues were mostly throwing accuracy/errors, which seems potentially fixable....or something you could "grow into". He will be interesting to watch the rest of the season.

8 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

He seems toolsy enough. I was reading some Tampa articles about him that suggested his defensive issues were mostly throwing accuracy/errors, which seems potentially fixable....or something you could "grow into". He will be interesting to watch the rest of the season.

It seems to me he has had plenty of time to grow into it. Strikes me as having a low baseball IQ. We'll see.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

It seems to me he has had plenty of time to grow into it. Strikes me as having a low baseball IQ. We'll see.

Maybe having Chris Davis at the other end will help reduce the throwing errors, too. All I know is that Hardy couldn't put up a .720 OPS right now in his wildest dreams.

5 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Maybe having Chris Davis at the other end will help reduce the throwing errors, too. All I know is that Hardy couldn't put up a .720 OPS right now in his wildest dreams.

This is what bugs me. All this emphasis on his bat at a key defensive position. If he had an average glove or slightly above, it would be one thing.

7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

This is what bugs me. All this emphasis on his bat at a key defensive position. If he had an average glove or slightly above, it would be one thing.

Well, I don't think Hardy is an elite defender at this point in his career, either. And in particular I think Davis has saved him from quite a few throwing errors in the last two years. So if you're going to compare Hardy and Beckham's defensive value, Chris Davis might be the great equalizer. 

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

Well, I don't think Hardy is an elite defender at this point in his career, either. And in particular I think Davis has saved him from quite a few throwing errors in the last two years. So if you're going to compare Hardy and Beckham's defensive value, Chris Davis might be the great equalizer. 

You have some numbers to back this up? CD has saved Manny's butt much more than Hardy, IMO. People see a new shiny toy  and have to run down Hardy to fit their narrative, Has beem the #1 defensive SS in baseball for his career 2005-17 according to Fan Graphs, He isn't that now but he hasn't exactly fallen off the cliff with his glove. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2017&month=0&season1=2005&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

It'd be one thing if Hardy was Mark Belanger with the glove, but he's not and never has been. Belanger had numerous seasons where he put up 3+  win seasons with his glove while being replacement level or worse with the bat.  He still brought a lot of value to the team

Hardy, so far is below replacement level hitter and just barely above replacement level on defense. Not good enough to justify starting. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Management in Tampa and Beckham didnt get along. He was moved around and never given a very long shot from what i can tell. Notto mention it sometimes takes a chance of scenery (especially whrn you were the first overall pick and didnt end up being that franchise player) and a little more time than others to click.

13 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Management in Tampa and Beckham didnt get along. He was moved around and never given a very long shot from what i can tell. Notto mention it sometimes takes a chance of scenery (especially whrn you were the first overall pick and didnt end up being that franchise player) and a little more time than others to click.

Sounds like clubhouse issues to me.

40 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

It'd be one thing if Hardy was Mark Belanger with the glove, but he's not and never has been. Belanger had numerous seasons where he put up 3+  win seasons with his glove while being replacement level or worse with the bat.  He still brought a lot of value to the team

Hardy, so far is below replacement level hitter and just barely above replacement level on defense. Not good enough to justify starting. 

Where are you getting the idea that Hardy is just barely above replacement level on defense?    That's not accurate, by the metrics.    He is slightly above average for a starting major league shortstop, which puts him far above replacement value.   

Archived