Asher and Bleier should each get 5 starts in September

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

With talk of moving Smith and or Castillo, I would add one of the above to a trade to get "" a little more back "

Note: I think there are seven pitchers on the 40 man roster that are OUT of minor league options. I would not wait to non-tender this winter or next spring training..Add this type of player to any trade to improve what comes back.

Why would adding one of them help us get more back?  We would be trading with a contending team, neither Ynoa or Aquino would be of  no addition value to a contending team this year.  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Asher - is  10-7 with a 3.21 ERA in 25 starts at AAA. He has had quality starts vs Boston twice and Toronto once this year. 

Very true.  In those 3 starts he had an ERA of 2.89.  However, the flip side is his ERA of 13.91 in his other 3 starts vs. CHW, WSN, and HOU.  As a result, his ERA as a starter overall is 6.98.  They're small sample sizes no matter how you choose to cut it.

53 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

With talk of moving Smith and or Castillo, I would add one of the above to a trade to get "" a little more back "

Note: I think there are seven pitchers on the 40 man roster that are OUT of minor league options. I would not wait to non-tender this winter or next spring training..Add this type of player to any trade to improve what comes back.

I don't think Aquino or Ynoa have any trade value.

58 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ynoa and Aquino could be DFA'd but why would it be in September?    There is not need to DFA anyone in order to call anyone up unless you think the O's are going to add a lot of non roster prospects to the 40 man in order to call them up.     DFA's like this normally occur after the season is over and before the roster is set before the winter meetings.     

The O's have a bunch on players that are eligible for the  Rule 5 draft.  Some of them that I can see being called up in September.

Pitchers - Wotherspoon and Richard Rodriguez at AAA.   Scott and Long at AA though they have to finish the postseason before getting the call.

Postion players - Sisco and Yaz at AAA.  Wynns at AA.

Here is a list of players that were eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

Norfolk

Dosch, Sisco, Kipper, Wotherspoon, Wheeler Yaz, Rodriguez

Bowie

Wynns, Salcedo, A Rodriguez, Marin, Barker, Hess, Means, Scott, Long, Grimes, Wilkerson

Frederick

Hart, Rifaela, Hunter Harvey, Gassaway

You are right that normally the O's add players after the season but for the past 5 years the O's have been in the race.  This year is probably different.   There is as advantage to seeing minor leaguers against  major league competition in September.   That is something the O's may want to take advantage of this season.

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is as advantage to seeing minor leaguers against  major league competition in September.   That is something the O's may want to take advantage of this season.

From a recent article by Roch and is a repeat from Buck on several occasions:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/notes-on-rumors-tonights-game-joseph-and-minor-matters.html

“It’s a snowball place up here. Things get snowballing well, don’t get fooled by it when they get snowballing bad. You can trust the track record. Same way with spring training. That’s why it’s big foolers. Spring and September baseball are big foolers. Be careful.”

Archived