POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I learn about this trade, the less I like it.  

Beckham is an upgrade over Ruben Tejada and the 2017 version of JJ Hardy, which is a very low bar, and he is cheap and under team control.  But he is below average defensively as a SS according to the metrics I've seen.  Outstanding infield defense has been a cornerstone of the Orioles' resurgence.  I don't like the idea that the O's seem to have committed themselves to having mediocre defense from their SS for several seasons.  

Before today, I honestly hadn't thought about Tobias Myers since draft day last year, but looking at his numbers, his peripherals at Aberdeen are outstanding, and he is an 18 year old who can throw in the low-to-mid 90s.  That sounds like a pitcher with a lot of upside.  The Rays are outstanding at identifying and developing pitching talent.  He will take a few years to develop, but this is a trade that could wind up looking really awful 5 years from now.  

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Beckham is an upgrade over Ruben Tejada and the 2017 version of JJ Hardy, which is a very low bar, and he is cheap and under team control.  But he is below average defensively as a SS according to the metrics I've seen.  Outstanding infield defense has been a cornerstone of the Orioles' resurgence.  I don't like the idea that the O's seem to have committed themselves to having mediocre defense from their SS for several seasons.  

Before today, I honestly hadn't thought about Tobias Myers since draft day last year, but looking at his numbers, his peripherals at Aberdeen are outstanding, and he is an 18 year old who can throw in the low-to-mid 90s.  That sounds like a pitcher with a lot of upside.  The Rays are outstanding at identifying and developing pitching talent.  He will take a few years to develop, but this is a trade that could wind up looking really awful 5 years from now.  

The good news is that we haven't made any long term commitment to Beckham. He'll be arbitration eligible after this season. We can simply non-tender him.

2 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

The funny part is, I don't feel like any of us had heard about him before the trade. Now all of a sudden he is a rising star in a system where we are starved for pitching. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Slight flaw in that argument, I posted video of him this morning. 

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

From a long term strategy prospective, I don't like the trade, we should be selling. From a value prospective I think we did great.

Precisely where I am. I can't believe we traded away two SP prospects when we have fewer than anyone, but the cost for the return is decent on its own. Obviously I just posted about Tobias earlier, so learning that he's gone is frustrating because I like the arm, but I was scared this was going to be for a 36 year old SP with a 5.30 FIP. It's not that. We needed a SS desperately. Now, I don't particularly like being locked into Beck for 3 years, but the fact that it makes some sense is a relief. Hello, my name is cumberbundy, and I've got battered Duq syndrome. ☹️

19 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Now I agree with this. The news is too new to me. The O's are on. I'm an emotional mess. ? 

I want Tobias back.

3 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

The Orioles made only one trade at the deadline, acquiring infielder Tim Beckham from the Rays for Aberdeen RHP Tobias Myers. Your thoughts?

This trade in a vaccuum, I have no problem with. It's meh, cool.

Unless the offers for Brach and/or Britton were incredibly underwhelming, I will be very annoyed with the way this team handled the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I like one thing. He is cheap and so is Mancini, Hays and Sisco. Potentially 4/9 of lineup will be very inexpensive. That leaves Davis. And what we do with Manny and Schoop.  

I like this trade much like I liked the Yankees trade for Didi Gregorius.  If the team has any hope of competing in 2018 they need a viable replacement for Hardy at SS and Beckham can do that.

26 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Now I agree with this. The news is too new to me. The O's are on. I'm an emotional mess. ? 

I want Tobias back.

Do you also want to watch Tejada play SS?  

No matter how bad the folks who don't like the trade... don't like it, ya gotta understand that the O's dramatically improved at shortstop with Beckham.  He's a superstar compared to both Beckham and this year's version of Hardy.    

Just now, Ruzious said:

Do you also want to watch Tejada play SS?  

No matter how bad the folks who don't like the trade... don't like it, ya gotta understand that the O's dramatically improved at shortstop with Beckham.  He's a superstar compared to both Beckham and this year's version of Hardy.    

Typo - meant to say: He's a superstar compared to both Tejada and this year's version of Hardy.  

Archived