my draft vs the JJ's draft. How will they do 3 years from today?

I "picked" Smoak, Ladendorf, and Melville.

JJ chose Matusz, Avery, Hoes.

I'll try to remember I did this 3 years from now, and see who's draft is fairing better.

With the high school guys . . . you are going to have to give it 5 years. 3 years is a decent, but not great assessment period for college type guys.

I'll try to remember I did this 3 years from now, and see who's draft is fairing better.

You'll find out part of your answer by 8/15. By then, the HSers will have either signed or committed to college.

My problem with this type of think is that Ladendorf and Melville are guys that you read about in BA or another similar mag or website. You've probably never seen them play, nor have you seen Avery or Hoes. Jordan's scouts, and Jordan himself in some cases (probably all of these higher picks) have watched all of them intensely and the local kid plays for the Orioles showcase amateur team coached by one of their scouts, Dean Albany. They probably have a much better feel for these guys.

But, we'll see.

My problem with this type of think is that Ladendorf and Melville are guys that you read about in BA or another similar mag or website. You've probably never seen them play, nor have you seen Avery or Hoes. Jordan's scouts, and Jordan himself in some cases (probably all of these higher picks) have watched all of them intensely and the local kid plays for the Orioles showcase amateur team coached by one of their scouts, Dean Albany. They probably have a much better feel for these guys.

But, we'll see.

Well that and Melville fell for obvious signability reasons. Everyone in baseball knew Melville was good, but if you don't sign him it doesn't matter. Hell, every top college guy was drafted at least once before. Pedro Alvarez (Boston, 14th round), Justin Smoak (Oakland, 16th round), Brian Matusz (Angels, 4th round), and Buster Posey (Angels, 50th round) all got drafted before. But they didn't sign, which was key.

This draft, if I remember the name right, was a DeMacio draft more so than anything Jordan has ever done before. We took "Toolsy" players comparable to Darnell MacDonald and Keith Reid, who if all the stars align may be great but are more likely to never see the majors because they have too many things to work on. I would bet that the only pick in the first five rounds that ever sees the majors is Matusz, and he will be with another team after we trade him and either Tillman or Arietta for hitting.

People have been talking about faith in Jordan and McPhail. Fiath in Jordan has been built over a few years; this is McPhail's first draft. While I don't have any inside sources, I'm betting Jordan resigns within the year.

People seem to believe it's a given to just blow through slot recommendations.

The scenario in the original post could be $1M higher than slot. This is a nice strategy on paper, but unrealistic for a majority of major league teams, IMO.

Archived