Turn Out the Lights

weams

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Oh what might have been if we had just signed Mark Reynolds.

Reynolds would be cheaper for sure, but he is only slugging .376 away from Coors.  The real answer is after the Trumbo trade in the 2015 off season and with Mancini/Walker in the minor leagues, Davis should have never been resigned.

I was hoping to get two good season from Davis on this contract, now I'm praying for one.  

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Reynolds would be cheaper for sure, but he is only slugging .376 away from Coors.  The real answer is after the Trumbo trade in the 2015 off season and with Mancini/Walker in the minor leagues, Davis should have never been resigned.

I was hoping to get two good season from Davis on this contract, now I'm praying for one.  

I once prayed for good year....yadda yadda yadda, I've got a lot of tires. 

30 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Oh what might have been if we had just signed Mark Reynolds.

If we spent wisely on pitching instead of on Davis we'd be headed to the post season. It's amazing how bad we are and still in it. It's been hard to find the pitching, not so hard to find home runs. As CoC noted, we were on the wrong side of paying big for power.

Just now, Cumberbundy said:

If we spent wisely on pitching instead of on Davis we'd be headed to the post season. It's amazing how bad we are and still in it. It's been hard to find the pitching, not so hard to find home runs. As CoC noted, we were on the wrong side of paying big for power.

Buying pitching is always sketchy. I am not sure other GM's would have done that much better (consistently) than Dan in that regard given the money constraints. We definitely could have been luckier.

Davis' contract is not all that constraining....it is more the roster spot.  I.e. I don't think we are landing top tier pitching free agents even if we are free of Davis' contract.

In regards to Reynolds, we were right on him.  It is more that we didn't anticipate that he would reinvent himself as a slap hitting OBP machine years down the line!

4 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Buying pitching is always sketchy. I am not sure other GM's would have done that much better (consistently) than Dan in that regard given the money constraints. We definitely could have been luckier.

Davis' contract is not all that constraining....it is more the roster spot.  I.e. I don't think we are landing top tier pitching free agents even if we are free of Davis' contract.

In regards to Reynolds, we were right on him.  It is more that we didn't anticipate that he would reinvent himself as a slap hitting OBP machine years down the line!

Heck the Mets didn't have room for Gsellmen in their rotation, Mets fans were genuinely concerned they'd give up their "6th ace" to a rival because they didn't have room for him with Wheeler, Matz, Harvey, Thor, & Degrom. Pitching is so difficult to get & figure out. Everyone in baseball thought more of AJ Cole than Robbie Ray & now Ray is one of the most dominant SPs in the game and Cole is a AAAA guy. Then late bloomers reinvent themselves, we need to luck into Long being a Tanner Roark for us. He seems to have some good potential.

Bundy, Harvey & Gausman may lead us headed into 2019, we need to hit on one guy who can give us 4 solid years.

43 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

What if we'd signed Jordan Zimmermann?     "Spending wisely on pitching" = getting lucky.   Not that I'm defending the Davis signing, it's just that most big pitching contracts don't work out that well, either.   

36 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Hardy, Miley and Ubaldo's contracts come off the books.  I know arbitration will boost the salaries of other players. 

DD will have some money to play with, but the question is what he'll be able to get.  And will it just be the next version of Miley or Ubaldo. 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

16 of the next 19 at home, where we play nearly .600 ball.

So I think they sucker us in a bit longer.   At home they'll play well enough to stay within a couple games of the second wild card, maybe even edge over .500.

Then on the Sept 8-17 road trip is when the lights really get turned out.

The lights on this team were out much longer than a month ago.  But fantasy prolongs the inevitable of the baseball season. 

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What if we'd signed Jordan Zimmermann?     "Spending wisely on pitching" = getting lucky.   Not that I'm defending the Davis signing, it's just that most big pitching contracts don't work out that well, either.   

I'd have jumped off the bottom step. Not a big leap but I never thought he was any good. He's a 2 pitch guy with a flat fb and decent slider. If we had signed him I'd have puked. Phil Wood actually argued that the Nats should keep him rather than Stras. I don't know what ppl are watching sometimes but Zimm was an NL only pitcher & I think he may have proven that an NL only pitcher can exist. That specific guy isn't your point but i felt I'd let my thoughts on the Zimm & relief we didn't sign him be shared.

Dan has been tasked with finding us one good starter & he's given up a lot & failed to get that piece. 

Davis obviously hurts more because we have a lot of 1Bs & power isn't as hard to find. That money, position, production & contract length is an anchor keeping the SS Oriole stuck. I'd trade Davis for Zimm in a heartbeat. I'd trade him for nearly anyone. 

If Dan didn't sign Davis or make any trades we'd be a much better team with a much better future. It can be harder to do nothing sometimes. I think the future is bright but can't help but think we could be headed into a truly special age of Orioles baseball. We could have a ton of money & a ton of young talent headed into 2018. It's hard not to feel some frustration but it doesn't diminish my excitement ...I'm excited almost every second of every day about our O's.

25 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hardy, Miley and Ubaldo's contracts come off the books.  I know arbitration will boost the salaries of other players. 

DD will have some money to play with, but the question is what he'll be able to get.  And will it just be the next version of Miley or Ubaldo. 

I hope it's Cobb. 

Archived