Infield moving forward ... anyone else as excited as me?

OrioleMagic79

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I often see these two contracts lumped together, but I really don't see them as remotely comparable.    Trumbo has 2/$26 mm remaining and will be 33 when his contract expires.    Davis has 5/$115 mm remaining and will be 36 when his contact expires.    I know Trumbo has had a down year, but there's a reasonable chance that he'll be worth close to what we'll pay him in 2018-19, and then he'll be gone. There's pretty much no chance Davis will be worth what we pay him, and he'll be a major drag on payroll for half a decade.    

I agree that Davis' contract is a bigger drag on the team going forward,  both in terms of years and in dollars, but I would be surprised if the O's could find a taker for Mark Trumbo.  He wasn't even that good of a player in 2016.  Chris Carter led the NL in home runs in 2016.  He signed a cheap, one year deal and got cut when he slumped.  Trumbo is a similar player--good power, low OBP, no defensive value.  

Both Davis and Trumbo will be blocking better, younger, cheaper players starting next season.   

I don't know if I'd look much beyond next year given the status of Manny (and Jones) after 2018. That said, I like the options around the infield: Davis, Schoop, Beckham and Machado. I like the catching situation whether or not Castillo is back with Joseph pair with either Beef or Sisco. I even like the outfield situation with Mancini in LF, Jones in CF and a competition between Santander, Hays and Mullins for a short in RF.

In the offseason, I'm really only concerned with some minor depth moves on the offensive side (bringing back a Gentry type, an upgrade on Flaherty in the UTL role, some added depth for Triple-A to combat injuries).

I know funds are limited, but I'm happy that the team can use basically all of the available funds to find answers in the rotation. The bullpen is fine (save some more minor league depth). Gausman and Bundy are answers, I'm willing to give Castro a shot. We need to more proven Major League starters (Cobb, Lynn types) and a couple guys we could stash in Triple-A for a rainy day as I don't trust any of our depth starters.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I honestly think there is very little difference in most the teams that made the playoffs.  The most wins was 98 wins and there was 12 teams with 86 wins or more.  It also seems that many of the teams are on the same page with scouting and analytics now hitting wise.  Years back you had moneyball which the A’s used before anyone else.  Then the Astros and few teams started with analytics and seemed to be ahead of the rest of the league but they have caught up now imo.  Now the move seems to be on launch angle and hitting homers by getting the ball in the air but that seems to be across the league.  Obviously some teams have more money and more talented players but the strategy seems about the same.  The main differences I see is in pitching in the playoffs which is bullpen games and using openers rather then a starter to go 7 innings and carry your team to win now a slight sign of trouble they are taking them out.  With all these short inning guys and pitching them in certain pockets we are seeing very little offense and the hitting with runners in scoring position has been awful.  It all comes down to RISP at bats and getting 1 or 2 big base hits in those situations.  We just haven’t been able to get those hits so far in short series.  
    • And we've seen similar with Kjerstad. Kjerstad might be the best pure hitting prospect in the Orioles system of recent years besides Gunnar. I want to see him playing everyday next year is possible none of this sitting him versus LHP more often than not. These prospects need to get their reps and stop treating them like John Lowenstein and Benny Ayala.
    • I don’t see Elias trading off prospects anymore at least top guys.  We have moved a few guys in last year and I expect they try to build that back up.  They should have money to use if they want to add talent.  
    • Blah, well Rob Manfred has to be happy along with Fox network. A Yankees-Mets World Series match up is still on the table and the Dodgers as well if they win tomorrow. I knew the Royals would get jettisoned by the Yankees without too much of a fight.
    • For Mountcastle …Maybe Chase Petty and Tristan Smith?
    • I’m guessing they ask for Mayo or Basallo of Kjerstad. For me …I’d give them Kjerstad since he’s defensively challenged IMO. Maybe Kjerstad, McDermott, Beavers, and O’Ferrall? 
    • 192 wins in two seasons is a pretty strong argument to stay the course.  That said, I wonder if the young players wouldn't be better off long-term if the scientific matchups took a back seat to the raw talent a little more than we've seen.  Overthinking something can be a thing you know.
  • Popular Contributors