So was Duquette right?

vab

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bobby will help him get better.  It will take some time.   He has helped all the infielders.

You say that as if the Rays don't have a coach who works with the infielders. Tom Foley, the bench/infield coach, works with all the infielders to make them better. He has worked with Longoria since he joined the organization and continues to help him get better.

I'm sure Bobby Dickerson does a great job, but I doubt that he has any magic dust that helps a guy with concentration problems keep his head in the game. While focus is something a player might be able to improve on their own, I don't think it's a teachable skill.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

You say that as if the Rays don't have a coach who works with the infielders. Tom Foley, the bench/infield coach, works with all the infielders to make them better. He has worked with Longoria since he joined the organization and continues to help him get better.

I'm sure Bobby Dickerson does a great job, but I doubt that he has any magic dust that helps a guy with concentration problems keep his head in the game. While focus is something a player might be able to improve on their own, I don't think it's a teachable skill.

I guess we will see.

14 hours ago, esmd said:

Eh, if they get the 2nd WC he is somewhat redeemed, but you could make the argument he kicked the can down the road and still has numerous problems on the horizon after next year.  If they make a deep playoff run, he would earn a lot of credit.  Still not sure I see that happening though.

Somewhat? 

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bobby will help him get better.  It will take some time.   He has helped all the infielders.

Perhaps, but from what I heard, it was Denny Hocking who was the biggest influence on Manny and Schoop coming up. Wasn't a Buck guy so he was sent packing but Dickerson is so he gets the credit. 

22 hours ago, SteveA said:

No, didn't say that.   Just pointing out that these deals aren't always sure things and they don't necessarily make you good in the future.

To me, the best way to be good in the future is to draft well, scout well, make good international signings, don't make stupid deals like trading Davies.   We don't do a lot of those things, unfortunately.   But that's how you do it.

If you do that you should go into most seasons hoping to contend, and then punting a season on July 31 should only be a last resort if everything has gone wrong.   Not a planned strategy like some people around here see it.    It's like the ejector seat for a fighter pilot... you use it when necessary but you don't plan your missions around its use.

That's why I was asking, I wasn't being sarcastic I don't know who philly got back & one great starter is incredibly hard to find. We haven't had one consistent starter all year and we're in it. 

I agree with all of that. That's a great post. I agree that you should give your guys the 6 months you brought them in to play if you've got a reasonable chance at the postseason in the end of July. Guys get inexplicably hot and it only takes one hit bat to win a series sometimes.

I think we could have traded away ZB & BB and been fine but I wouldn't move either for what it sounds like we were offered. 

What a week it's been!

Archived