Austin Hays

weams

24 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It might depend on what they think of Santander - and how they both do in Spring Training.  

I think DJ Stewart will be in the picture as well, they will want a LH hitter at least as a bench bat and as much as Mancini has improved in LF, I'm sure they'd rather not have to play him there as much.

I'm sure this opinion will get some flak, but I think if you can't find a trade partner to take Trumbo, the Orioles should trade Mancini.  I like Mancini, I thought he'd be a starting caliber player on a 2nd division team.  He's been a little better than that this year, and he could get better.  However, he's not particularly young for a MLB debut and he could regress.  He has value, probably more value playing first base (where CD is blocking him) as a pre-arbitration everyday player with a bunch of team control.  You trade Mancini for a young starter, Junis from the Royals would be a good target, they will need to replace Hosmer at first base and aren't a big budget team.  Mancini is probably a bit more valuable than Junis so they could throw in a mid-range prospect.  Then you let a combination of Hays, Stewart, and Santander man the COF positions.  You sign Jarrod Dyson, Eric Young Jr., or Jon Jay as a 5th outfielder so you can be done with Rickard.  All three would come fairly cheap and would provide some speed, defense, insurance against poor performance by the youngsters.

Biggest loss to me is making a 40 man move. If they think he is ready next spring he is the starting RF. If they rather he stays down and goes to AAA this move is negated. Just put him on 40 before they had to. As far as facing RHP if he can help then why wait a week. One game could be the difference. He doesn't get called up if Gentry doesn't get hurt.  

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think DJ Stewart will be in the picture as well, they will want a LH hitter at least as a bench bat and as much as Mancini has improved in LF, I'm sure they'd rather not have to play him there as much.

I'm sure this opinion will get some flak, but I think if you can't find a trade partner to take Trumbo, the Orioles should trade Mancini.  I like Mancini, I thought he'd be a starting caliber player on a 2nd division team.  He's been a little better than that this year, and he could get better.  However, he's not particularly young for a MLB debut and he could regress.  He has value, probably more value playing first base (where CD is blocking him) as a pre-arbitration everyday player with a bunch of team control.  You trade Mancini for a young starter, Junis from the Royals would be a good target, they will need to replace Hosmer at first base and aren't a big budget team.  Mancini is probably a bit more valuable than Junis so they could throw in a mid-range prospect.  Then you let a combination of Hays, Stewart, and Santander man the COF positions.  You sign Jarrod Dyson, Eric Young Jr., or Jon Jay as a 5th outfielder so you can be done with Rickard.  All three would come fairly cheap and would provide some speed, defense, insurance against poor performance by the youngsters.

You'll get no flak from me.  I had the same thought.  We are stuck with Trumbo and Davis, and that limits Mancini to LF.  With his salary being very low, he's a solid trade chip, and the O's are loaded with OF prospects - especially if they move Mountcastle to LF.  

13 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

No flak here either. I love Mancini as a player and a person. But removing bias from the equation, it's a smart business decision (as you've broken down nicely above).

Along with the guys waiting in the wing, it would help us get younger and cheaper. We'd add some speed for defense and base running, so that we wouldn't be a MLB version of a softball beer league team that's slow and just pounds home runs.

20 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I feel like Stewart is destined for Norfolk, to hopefully continue his development. He made major strides this year, but isn't a finished product quite yet. Let him keep working. I do like his batting eye.

I'm not sure what Mancini's age has to do with anything.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

I feel like Stewart is destined for Norfolk, to hopefully continue his development. He made major strides this year, but isn't a finished product quite yet. Let him keep working. I do like his batting eye.

I'm not sure what Mancini's age has to do with anything.

How is he less polished than Hays?  Hays is the better prospect by a good margin, but I'd argue Stewart is at least as big league ready.

If Mancini had this season as a 21-22yo, I'd say hold onto him, he might be a star.

6 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

No flak here either. I love Mancini as a player and a person. But removing bias from the equation, it's a smart business decision (as you've broken down nicely above).

Along with the guys waiting in the wing, it would help us get younger and cheaper. We'd add some speed for defense and base running, so that we wouldn't be a MLB version of a softball beer league team that's slow and just pounds home runs.

I don't understand how it'd help us get any cheaper.

Nor do I understand why trading a guy who's proven himself to play three guys that have 11 MLB at bats between them (all of which belong to Santander) seems like such an easy move to make.

24 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'd be open to trading Mancini if we got good value in exchange.   

5 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I don't understand how it'd help us get any cheaper.

Nor do I understand why trading a guy who's proven himself to play three guys that have 11 MLB at bats between them (all of which belong to Santander) seems like such an easy move to make.

The ideal solution is to trade Trumbo for a bag of beans, this isn't the ideal solution, but it might be the best one if the team can't off-load Trumbo.

3 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

If the O's felt he was big league ready he'd be the on on the bench, not Hays.

Well the O's needed to get Rickard's bat out of the line-up.  So they needed a RH bat who can play RF.  Stewart is a LH bat who doesn't have the arm to play RF.  If they needed a LHed LFer, Stewart would be up, I'm sure they'd rather bring him up than starting Hays' service time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

The ideal solution is to trade Trumbo for a bag of beans, this isn't the ideal solution, but it might be the best one if the team can't off-load Trumbo.

Well the O's needed to get Rickard's bat out of the line-up.  So they needed a RH bat who can play RF.  Stewart is a LH bat who doesn't have the arm to play RF.  If they needed a LHed LFer, Stewart would be up, I'm sure they'd rather brought him up rather than starting Hays' service time.

The Orioles called Hays up because they're in a playoff race and they think he can help. DD is not one to quibble over service time.

I'd love to see the team move Trumbo. Maybe the market will be more "in" on DH sluggers this offseason. He's not necessarily signed to a ridiculous contract, ala CD.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

The Orioles called Hays up because they're in a playoff race and they think he can help. DD is not one to quibble over service time.

I'd love to see the team move Trumbo. Maybe the market will be more "in" on DH sluggers this offseason. He's not necessarily signed to a ridiculous contract, ala CD.

I agree, Hays is the best option to fill the hole the team had, if the O's had a different hole, perhaps a different player would have been the best option, that's all I'm saying in regards to Stewart.

35 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Well the O's needed to get Rickard's bat out of the line-up.  So they needed a RH bat who can play RF.  Stewart is a LH bat who doesn't have the arm to play RF.  If they needed a LHed LFer, Stewart would be up, I'm sure they'd rather bring him up than starting Hays' service time.

Trumbo is worth a bag of beans if the O's pay 1/2 his contract.