Austin Hays

weams

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Buck's decision to play Trumbo in RF lost the game, quite frankly.  I love Buck as a manager, but he's got at least 3 other choices to play RF - including Hays - and playing Trumbo there was simply idiotic on Buck's part.  There's just no way around it.   

That may have been the worst defensive play I have seen by an Oriole during the Buck regime. What is that, a 99.9% probability out? And he not only loses it but commits an error be as well.

9 hours ago, MDK02 said:

At what point can the young guys start playing? I mean, how many games out do we have to be until we can let these guys get some experience and see what they can do? We are not getting a WC spot, Buck.. it's over! 

It's not likely we will make the playoffs, but from the team's point of view, it's too early to start playing for next year.    You play the kids if it makes sense for trying to win the games, not to get them experience that will help evaluate them for 2018.     That day may come, but it's probably still a week or more away.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's not likely we will make the playoffs, but from the team's point of view, it's too early to start playing for next year.    You play the kids if it makes sense for trying to win the games, not to get them experience that will help evaluate them for 2018.     That day may come, but it's probably still a week or more away.   

Does anyone think that Trumbo in right gives the team a better chance to win than Hays?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does anyone think that Trumbo in right gives the team a better chance to win than Hays?

Of course not but he isn't willing to play Hays yet and didn't want to lose one of Smith and Trumbo in lineup. I just hope after watching that joke of a game he does something different tonight. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Not on defense.   You can debate whether having Trumbo in the game for offense is worth the defensive risk.    Personally I would have gone with Hays in RF and Trumbo at DH, since Estrada is a reverse-split pitcher.     

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not on defense.   You can debate whether having Trumbo in the game for offense is worth the defensive risk.    Personally I would have gone with Hays in RF and Trumbo at DH, since Estrada is a reverse-split pitcher.     

Can you in 2017? Trumbo has a 84 wRC+ this season. His bat has been worth -11.5 runs. He has no use on a team trying to win. He provides no value in any facet of the game.

Just now, Babypowder said:

Can you in 2017? Trumbo has a 84 wRC+ this season. His bat has been worth -11.5 runs. He has no use on a team trying to win. He provides no value in any facet of the game.

He also hits much better when playing in the field which makes no sense but is true.  

He is also making a ton of money and here for 2 more seasons.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

He also hits much better when playing in the field which makes no sense but is true.  

He is also making a ton of money and here for 2 more seasons.  

That is actually true for most players. It was something many people here brought up when he was signed. The DH penalty is real.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

There's no doubt that Trumbo has had a disastrous offensive season.   Still, I'd rather see him at bat than Joey Rickard.     Whether Hays or Santander could do a better job is debatable.    They both have promise, but I can't say that a hitter with a couple hundred AA at bats (in Hays' case; make it a couple dozen for Santander) is likely to come up and hit well right away.     

Just now, Frobby said:

There's no doubt that Trumbo has had a disastrous offensive season.   Still, I'd rather see him at bat than Joey Rickard.     Whether Hays or Santander could do a better job is debatable.    They both have promise, but I can't say that a hitter with a couple hundred AA at bats (in Hays' case; make it a couple dozen for Santander) is likely to come up and hit well right away.     

I'm pretty confident Pedro Alvarez could do better vs RHP even if you don't want to trust one of the youngins. Trumbo has a sub .700 OPS vs RHP. We can easily find someone to best that.

Just now, Babypowder said:

I'm pretty confident Pedro Alvarez could do better vs RHP even if you don't want to trust one of the youngins. Trumbo has a sub .700 OPS vs RHP. We can easily find someone to best that.

Fair enough.

I sure hope Trumbo bounces back next year.