Will the Orioles have three new starters from outside the organization next season?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/9/2017 at 1:33 PM, Tx Oriole said:

Its going to be an interesting offseason. Or maybe pulling out your hair when DD does something stupid. Maybe I should say if instead of when.

I think it will be the same crap in the offseason as usual. And next  year we will have the same problem

I would much rather give starters like Ynoa, Castro, and Hess a shot at the minimum than pay inconsistent veterans and pitchers on the downside of their careers $10 mill+ per year for the 4th & 5th spots.  I would like the O's to grab at least 1 above average starter.  I'm fixated on Cobb for some reason.  I know he has some injury concerns.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would much rather give starters like Ynoa, Castro, and Hess a shot at the minimum than pay inconsistent veterans and pitchers on the downside of their careers $10 mill+ per year for the 4th & 5th spots.  I would like the O's to grab at least 1 above average starter.  I'm fixated on Cobb for some reason.  I know he has some injury concerns.

I agree with you 100%. Don't know about Cobb. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Let's pray that DD doesn't end up trading off Ynoa, Castro, or Hess.for some rentals.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is easier said than done. The two strategies seem to be: 1) buy starting pitching at top dollar and don't flinch when things go pear shaped (see Scott Kazmir....or Yu Darvish for that matter); 2) sign solid Mexican league starters and say your rosaries.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have a hard time with the idea that Mancini is above average in the outfield.

Defensive Runs Saved has him slightly above average, UVR has him well below average.  Defensive metrics take a large sample size to become accurate so the jury is still out in that regard.

My take on his defense is that it's better than expected (I expected terrible, Trumbo or worse due to lack of experience). He's much slower than your average OFer, but he does track the ball well and has a sure glove when he's near the ball.  His arm is below average but he doesn't try to do too much with it, and it's pretty accurate.

The problem is, in my opinion, that average play in LF is his absolute peak.  He just doesn't have the tools to be any better than that even if he does everything perfectly and he's probably not going to be perfect out there.  

4 hours ago, weams said:

Yes. They will.

Dan gets to decide about 3 new starters AND what to do about Manny?...hmmm...I doubt it, seems like they would have to be the old man's calls,  but even so, we still would benefit from a change at the GM slot, imho.  I just am not confident in Dan stewarding  the team through this winter's treacherous rapids while still together with Buck.....not at all.   

Archived