So what's the rotation next year?

interloper

39 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Lynn has been a very consistent starting pitcher for the Cardinals since the 2012 season.

He had Tommy John surgery in December of 2015, started rehabbing in the Minors in August of 2016, and rejoined the Cardinals' starting rotation in 2017 ........ where he picked up right where he left off before the TJ surgery.

Lynn is 30 years-old, and considering his consistency combined with the fact that he already has the TJ surgery out of the way (and has shown that he has apparently made a complete recovery in terms of effectiveness), I think that he would be a much-needed addition to a starting rotation that was in shambles for the better part of the 2017 season.

Granted that the Orioles have their financial hands full with the impending free agency of Manny Machado in 2019 and Jonathan Schoop in 2020 (as well as the Chris Davis contract that runs through the 2022 season), but if they are going to choose to spend money for a proven starting pitcher, I think that Lance Lynn would be a sound investment.

o

What kind of terms do you think Lynn signs for?  Wei-Yin Chen arguably had a worse resume at a similar age and got 5/80.  Jeff Samardzija had a similar resume, got 5/90.  I think those are similar to what Lynn will get, the question is would the Orioles spend that.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Lynn has been a very consistent starting pitcher for the Cardinals since the 2012 season.

He had Tommy John surgery in December of 2015, started rehabbing in the Minors in August of 2016, and rejoined the Cardinals' starting rotation in 2017 ........ where he picked up right where he left off before the TJ surgery.

Lynn is 30 years-old, and considering his consistency combined with the fact that he already has the TJ surgery out of the way (and has shown that he has apparently made a complete recovery in terms of effectiveness), I think that he would be a much-needed addition to a starting rotation that was in shambles for the better part of the 2017 season.

Granted that the Orioles have their financial hands full with the impending free agency of Manny Machado in 2019 and Jonathan Schoop in 2020 (as well as the Chris Davis contract that runs through the 2022 season), but if they are going to choose to spend money for a proven starting pitcher, I think that Lance Lynn would be a sound investment.

o

22 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

What kind of terms do you think Lynn signs for?  Wei-Yin Chen arguably had a worse resume at a similar age and got 5/80.  Jeff Samardzija had a similar resume, got 5/90.  I think those are similar to what Lynn will get, the question is would the Orioles spend that.  

o

I suspect that he can be picked up for between $15 and $20 Million per year, probably $18 or $19 Million.

Just as significantly, players salaries have skyrocketed in the last decade, and I suspect that they will continue to do so ........ perhaps making it not unusual for mid-market teams such as the Orioles to have payrolls in the neighborhood of $200 Million in the near future. And since 2018 is the last year of both Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter's contracts (as well as the fact that Peter Angelos is 88 years-old), it's possible that the Orioles could go for broke and sign a starting pitcher such as Lynn  for more than what they paid for riskier free agent starting pitchers in the recent past (Jimenez and Gallardo.)

o

18 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't think the FO will spend on Lynn. Or any other good pitcher. DD wants the used up type pitchers. I like Ubaldo and Gallardo but they were or are not top line pitchers. I wish things would change but I don't see that happening. Sorry, this is just my point of view. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't think the FO will spend on Lynn. Or any other good pitcher. DD wants the used up type pitchers. I like Ubaldo and Gallardo but they were or are not top line pitchers. I wish things would change but I don't see that happening. Sorry, this is just my point of view. 

I agree that it is unlikely that the team will spend on Lynn, or other upper-tier SP.  I think they should, but I'm not calling the shots.  

I disagree that DD wants used up type pitchers, he's just working with-ins the organizational guidelines.  It's obvious the team doesn't like handing out big contracts to free agent pitchers, that's been going on long before DD and it doesn't help that you have Buck parroting that same sentiment.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that "" 6 "" main members of the O's may NOT be here in 2019. IF, you were Cobb and or Lynn are you going/willing to sign a long term deal with the O's, when Manny, Zack, Adam and or Brad plus Dan and Buck may not be here...

Peter needs to step up NOW and say what direction we are going.

Just now, Richmond Bird 9 said:

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that "" 6 "" main members of the O's may NOT be here in 2019. IF, you were Cobb and or Lynn are you going/willing to sign a long term deal with the O's, when Manny, Zack, Adam and or Brad plus Dan and Buck may not be here...

Peter needs to step up NOW and say what direction we are going.

I'm afraid if the team goes all in for 2018, us fans will be left dealing with the ruins for many years to come.  I don't want to see the another stretch like the 00's.

13 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I agree that it is unlikely that the team will spend on Lynn, or other upper-tier SP.  I think they should, but I'm not calling the shots.  

I disagree that DD wants used up type pitchers, he's just working with-ins the organizational guidelines.  It's obvious the team doesn't like handing out big contracts to free agent pitchers, that's been going on long before DD and it doesn't help that you have Buck parroting that same sentiment.

Oh I agree the pitching was piss poor before DD. I was just wishing that he would be getting better pitchers. Ubaldo has not worked out and Miley hasn't either. Angelos needs to give DD more to sign better pitchers then. But the rub is will he do it. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Oh I agree the pitching was piss poor before DD. I was just wishing that he would be getting better pitchers. Ubaldo has not worked out and Miley hasn't either. Angelos needs to give DD more to sign better pitchers then. But the rub is will he do it. 

If he is ever going to do it, this would be the year, as there we've got money coming off the books and no need for any major position player acquisitions.

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'll go with free agent acquisitions Jaime Garcia and Michael Pineda - to go with Bundy, Gausman and Castro.  

I can't see offering Tillman more than a very small guarantee with incentives.    

Like Garcia. Pineda is a better pitcher than what we saw this year. Those two could work.

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'll go with free agent acquisitions Jaime Garcia and Michael Pineda - to go with Bundy, Gausman and Castro.  

I can't see offering Tillman more than a very small guarantee with incentives.    

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Like Garcia. Pineda is a better pitcher than what we saw this year. Those two could work.

And when is Pineda expected back from Tommy John surgery?

Tyler Chatwood would be my target first, he'll come fairly cheap.  Velocity took a major jump this past season, just get him out of Colorado, he's still young.

I agree, take a flyer on Michael Pineda, if he'll sign a two year deal, or a deal with team option(s).  I wouldn't sign him for just 2018.  Probably couldn't afford him if he was healthy.

If the team is willing to spend, Cobb or Lynn make sense.

Chacin is interesting as well as a cheaper option.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And when is Pineda expected back from Tommy John surgery?

Recovery timetable is a tricky thing, but Dr Andrews lays out specifics stating after seven months pitchers can return to the mound. That would put him into February and behind most pitchers. Of course, from there he's probably not on a regular regimen, just throwing from a mound.

Another two to three months to build up strength puts him into April/May, but they're pretty conservative w these guys now after that procedure. Anecdotally, some of them now go well over a year before they're at full strength.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Tyler Chatwood would be my target first, he'll come fairly cheap.  Velocity took a major jump this past season, just get him out of Colorado, he's still young.

I agree, take a flyer on Michael Pineda, if he'll sign a two year deal, or a deal with team option(s).  I wouldn't sign him for just 2018.  Probably couldn't afford him if he was healthy.

If the team is willing to spend, Cobb or Lynn make sense.

Chacin is interesting as well as a cheaper option.

Those are some interesting options. I like Lynn compared to Cobb, but Cobb does have a track record of pitching in the AL East.

Wait, so did Hellickson.

Archived