So what's the rotation next year?

interloper

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My guess is a free agent starter worth his salt will not sign with the O's.  Tillman, a trade of Brach and some AAA starters are where the O's end up IMO.

Castro, Bleier and Ynoa are all stretched out in ST to see what they can do.

Yeah, as much as that weak approach gets them more of the same, I'm inclined to agree.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why not try Brach as a SP?  He has three good pitches. No serious injury history. Give him an offseason to prepare and see how he looks in ST.  If it doesn't work then back to the pen. 

Brach is a far better fit to consider as a starter than say, Britton. I'm talking about Britton when he was at the top of his game and people actually wanted him converted back to that role.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:14 PM, wildcard said:

My guess is a free agent starter worth his salt will not sign with the O's.  Tillman, a trade of Brach and some AAA starters are where the O's end up IMO.

Castro, Bleier and Ynoa are all stretched out in ST to see what they can do.

I don't disagree with you but it will be hard to not redeploy the Ubaldo money back into the starting rotation.  PA and DD will get hammered if they don't reinvest that money and claim it's all going to a Machado extension that never happens.  Not that DD will care, but I would imagine the Angelos family understands that risk.

I think the O's have a #1 Bundy, #2 Gausman and 4 #5's in Tillman, Castro, Ynoa  and Bleier.   Trading Brach with a package of minor  leaguers may get the O's an #3 or #4 starter.   And the starter that comes in trade may have a hefty salary coming with him.    So no need to say that the O's will not be spending money this off season imo.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's have a #1 Bundy, #2 Gausman and 4 #5's in Tillman, Castro, Ynoa  and Bleier.   Trading Brach with a package of minor  leaguers may get the O's an #3 or #4 starter.   And the starter that comes in trade may have a hefty salary coming with him.    So no need to say that the O's will not be spending money this off season imo.

Bundy and Gausman are a #1 and #2?

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While it could happen, we can't exactly count on it.   We're talking about two guys with a combined ERA of about 4.44 this year. 

Sorry you are not a believer.  What I saw from Bundy this year was enough to think he will be a #1.   He has the temperment, the drive, the stuff and the wants it badly.   Gausman has had two good 2nd halfs.  Now McDowell has seen what Gausman has to do to be successful.   He can help him do it again.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.  Otherwise the O's are a second division team again. And I am not rooting for that.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How can you trade Caleb?  Castillo is going to opt out and then the O's have no experienced catcher.

Sign an experienced catcher. One of the most appealing things about Caleb in a trade is that he makes no money. For a few dollars they can sign someone just as good and experienced to back up and mentor Sisco. Getting a good starting pitcher is more important than keeping your backup catcher.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sorry you are not a believer.  What I saw from Bundy this year was enough to think he will be a #1.   He has the temperment, the drive, the stuff and the wants it badly.   Gausman has had two good 2nd halfs.  Now McDowell has seen what Gausman has to do to be successful.   He can help him do it again.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.  Otherwise the O's are a second division team again. And I am not rooting for that.

I'm not a believer, and I'm not a non-believer.     To me, Bundy's stats understate how well he pitched most of the time.    It's entirely possible that he could take a big step forward next year.    I really expected a lot more from Gausman this year, but his second half shows the potential is still there.     Maybe they both put it all together next year.     I'm just saying it's tough to assume or expect it.    It's realistic to hope for it, but that's different.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not a believer, and I'm not a non-believer.     To me, Bundy's stats understate how well he pitched most of the time.    It's entirely possible that he could take a big step forward next year.    I really expected a lot more from Gausman this year, but his second half shows the potential is still there.     Maybe they both put it all together next year.     I'm just saying it's tough to assume or expect it.    It's realistic to hope for it, but that's different.   

As an O's fan I have to think that that Bundy and Gausman are going to be darn good next year. Otherwise I should go fishing all next year and turn on music because what happens with the O's in not going to worth watching.

Archived