I Cannot Believe The Way This Team Has Folded.

ORIOLE33

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's a joke that Zach Davies and Parker Bridwell are providing cheap rotation pieces for two major league teams and the situation the Orioles rotation is in.    The talent evaluation and the pitching instruction in the minors has to be questioned.     We keep Mike Wright and trade Davies.   We give Bridwell away for nothing.    Again, we've had pitchers like Bridwell, ERod, and Brault immediately jump in performance when they leave the organization and then trade a guy like Davies (and hold onto Mike ( I have no secondary pitches) Wright.    Something smells rotten in Denmark.

I separate Bridwell from the others you mentioned.    Davies was generally successful in our system.    EdRod was generally successful, though he struggled a bit in 2014.     Brault was having good success, he just hadn't had time to get very far in our system.    

Bridwell's another story entirely.   He had over 650 innings in our MiL system and an ERA in the high 4's. To see him change teams and pitch 107 innings of 3.86 ball is pretty infuriating.    

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I separate Bridwell from the others you mentioned.    Davies was generally successful in our system.    EdRod was generally successful, though he struggled a bit in 2014.     Brault was having good success, he just hadn't had time to get very far in our system.    

Bridwell's another story entirely.   He had over 650 innings in our MiL system and an ERA in the high 4's. To see him change teams and pitch 107 innings of 3.86 ball is pretty infuriating.    

Bridwell's peripherals are pretty bad, so it's unlikely he's this good going forward.

If he has improved from his time with the O's it's because he stopped throwing his mid-80's slider and instead, he throws a low 80's slurvy slider and wait for it.......a 90mph cutter.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:09 AM, Frobby said:

This has to be the most far fetched theory I've heard.    First of all, unless I wasn't watching carefully enough, it wasn't that big a deal at the time.     Trumbo hit a walk-off hit, got pied after the game during his interview,, and seemed a bit annoyed by it when the interview continued.    But it's not like he threw a major tantrum about it.    "Mild annoyance" is how I'd describe it.   Did I miss something?

I'd call Trumbo more than annoyed. He didn't even resume the interview after he got pied -- he immediately made a beeline back to the dugout. Five minutes later, Adam Jones tweeted, "No mas pies." Connecting the dots, I'd say Trumbo probably is a big factor in why the pies stopped.

But of course, I agree with you that it has nothing to do with why the team went into a freefall.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:41 PM, O's84 said:

Wonder what the record for worst ERA on a MLB SP.  I don't think it's us but the 2017 Orioles have got to be up there.

According to FanGraphs, the worst ERA for a team's starting pitching staff in the modern era is 6.64, held by the '96 Tigers: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=1871&ind=1&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

The Tigers used 16 different starting pitchers that year. Only three had an ERA below 5.00. Their most used starter, Felipe Lira, was 6-14 with a 5.22 ERA. Todd Van Poppel got nine starts and had an 11.39 ERA. Clint Sodowsky got seven and had an 11.84. Even John Farrell (yes, the current Red Sox manager) had a couple starts and gave up 10 runs in 6.1 innings.

In fairness, '96 was the juiced-ball era, and pitching staffs suffered everywhere. But those Tigers were especially bad.

Archived