Dan places the blame for losing year squarely on the starters

wildcard

18 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

. . . 

Could Brady build an organization long term? Do you roll the dice and give him the job or look at someone like Ruben Amaro ( veteran guy who knows his way around the game)?

. . .

I don't think anybody has much of an idea how Brady would perform as the top baseball guy -- and that alone is sufficient reason not to hire him. I have asked in several threads, including this one, what he's done or what there is about him that would suggest he'd be competent in that role. I don't think there's ever been an answer. I understand that he may get the job, but if he does it won't be because he demonstrated a capacity to be good at it.

I sure don't want to see Ruben Amaro, the guy who brought  you the Ryan Howard contract, succeed Duquette. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-phillies/5-worst-moves-led-ruben-amaros-demise-phillies-gm

While I fully expect the owner will hire a "veteran guy" (unless Brady is hired), I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather see one of the bright young stars (male or female) from a successful front-office operation bring some fresh ideas to the challenges of building a contending team in Baltimore. I don't delude myself into thinking that's likely, but I'd like to see it happen.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much blame for Dan.

1, Brady Anderson has too much influence.  He's a trainer and I have no idea id he's any good. at training,  He has no demonstrated chops in the FO He greatly influenced the . Reimold,  O'Day, and Trumbo.  Some sources indicate he influenced  the Davis signing..  Likely the worst signing in 's history./

2, DD has sifned a lot of got draft pic ks and International slot signing equivalants givingthat that PA won'rsifn intl players.

3. Buck needs to  go. His managing or the wildcard game was horrendous.  Still cant beleive the local  media gave him a pass.  His obsession with time to home plate is stupid.   He ruined Brian Matusz and who knows how many more with that arcane idea.  Teams who steel basis don't win..  Don't worry about .  Keep Dan fire Buck and Brady.

2 minutes ago, flyhighbirds said:

The team and manager were in place before Duquette got here.  

In an ordinary situation, if the President or GM/VP went to the owner and said, "We need a new manager" and stated his reasons, the manager almost certainly would be fired, and if not the recommendation would be taken very seriously and rejected only for real good reasons (not including having to pay the fired manager while he's under contract for another year or two).

Somehow, I don't think it would unfold that way in Baltimore.

43 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

In an ordinary situation, if the President or GM/VP went to the owner and said, "We need a new manager" and stated his reasons, the manager almost certainly would be fired, and if not the recommendation would be taken very seriously and rejected only for real good reasons (not including having to pay the fired manager while he's under contract for another year or two).

Somehow, I don't think it would unfold that way in Baltimore.

Meh. I agree that's the way it works on paper in most organizations, but I think you are discounting the number of baseball teams with weird owner-GM-manager relationships. Heck there are relevant articles about the Mets published just this week. The majority owner apparently even over ruled his son. A lot of teams have had dysfunctional relationships between the GM and manager that were allowed to persist or even encouraged by ownership. Happens in other sports too. Professional sports is a wacky world and part of the reason is that winning and the bottom line are not always strongly correlated. 

Dan's biggest test is in front of him.  I am okay with a down year they happen, though I don't feel like the Orioles put a very entertaining product on the field.  There was nothing super compelling about this team.  They felt middle of the road, they looked middle of the road, and in the end their record will be middle of the road.

Now he has to tread a line.  Keep it competitive or rebuild, and that all centers around Manny.  If they can sign Manny in the off season I will go into the year with renewed interest.  If they don't, and can't make any appreciable improvements to make for a competitive team next year then I will be in the same place.  Little interest in being invested.  And if they don't trade Manny during the season, and miss the playoffs I don't see much reason to be invested beyond that point either.  I'll still watch from time to time, I will still keep track of how they are doing, but I won't go out of the way to spend any money on the product that team would be.  

11 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Dan's biggest test is in front of him.  I am okay with a down year they happen, though I don't feel like the Orioles put a very entertaining product on the field.  There was nothing super compelling about this team.  They felt middle of the road, they looked middle of the road, and in the end their record will be middle of the road.

Now he has to tread a line.  Keep it competitive or rebuild, and that all centers around Manny.  If they can sign Manny in the off season Is  will go into the year with renewed interest.  If they don't, and can't make any appreciable improvements to make for a competitive team next year then I will be in the same place.  Little interest in being invested.  And if they don't trade Manny during the season, and miss the playoffs I don't see much reason to be invested beyond that point either.  I'll still watch from time to time, I will still keep track of how they are doing, but I won't go out of the way to spend any money on the product that team would be.  

Oh, they're record is worse than that.

Archived