Dan wants to reload, not rebuild

Frobby

45 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Mancini and Castillo should be on the list, especially Castillo IMO. By some measures Jones and even Smith were above average. Five relief pitchers were above average...so there's that. :)

I was talking position players only, Castillo was an oversight. Mancini however was worth 1.8 wins according to Fangraphs and 2.2 according to BR. ~2 wins is average.

Jones was worth 2.5 by BR and 1.7 by Fangraphs. Average.

Smith was a below average hitting platoon outfielder worth .5 and .3 respectively.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I was talking position players only, Castillo was an oversight. Mancini however was worth 1.8 wins according to Fangraphs and 2.2 according to BR. ~2 wins is average.

Jones was worth 2.5 by BR and 1.7 by Fangraphs. Average.

Smith was a below average hitting platoon outfielder worth .5 and .3 respectively.

I was squinting as hard as I could to see the glass half full. :) 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The defense was much better in 2014.

Very true, although some of that seems to have been a fluke. Machado was out over half the season, etc. Jones getting older has really hurt, for sure. But the defense was much better and I'm sure that explains some of the very positive ERA+'s. Good point.  

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Very true, although some of that seems to have been a fluke. Machado was out over half the season, etc. Jones getting older has really hurt, for sure. But the defense was much better and I'm sure that explains some of the very positive ERA+'s. Good point.  

Per UZR, defense was +55 runs that year.  The team ERA was about half a run lower than FIP and xFIP.   Still, realize that the team allowed 248 fewer runs that year compared to this one.    Defense only explains a small fraction of that.

Be careful what you wish for.

Should the Braves strike out on a potential DaytonMoore pursuit, they might turn to Dan Jennings, who “could be a top candidate,” ... Jennings is a special assistant to Nationals GM Mike Rizzo, but he’s better known for his time with the Marlins.

MLB rumors: Braves pursuing Dayton Moore, Dan Jennings for GM opening

The Type of guy that other salivate over.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Per UZR, defense was +55 runs that year.  The team ERA was about half a run lower than FIP and xFIP.   Still, realize that the team allowed 248 fewer runs that year compared to this one.    Defense only explains a small fraction of that.

What do you think is a small fraction?

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Is the UZR based estimate 55/248?  If so, That’s huge! 

It actually would be a little higher, as we were -17 this year.    So, 72/248 (29%) would be the estimate of what percentage of the increase in runs allowed was due to the defense.   I don't consider that to be huge compared to the impact of the pitchers themselves, but obviously it is significant.  

I would like to see Hellickson move to the pen. The first two innings he's great, after that he folds like a lawn chair. Ynoa, Scott, Liranzo, and Ramirez are all under the age of 25. Maybe one of them will break out next year. We need to work on our line up which was sad in the last month of the season. We're going to bat Kavis and Dumbo 8-9 in our batting order.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It actually would be a little higher, as we were -17 this year.    So, 72/248 (29%) would be the estimate of what percentage of the increase in runs allowed was due to the defense.   I don't consider that to be huge compared to the impact of the pitchers themselves, but obviously it is significant.  

I disagree: That’s huge. Think about how much money that would cost on the free agent market if you bought that improvement only through pitching. Convert those runs into wins and it’s a pretty big deal. 

45 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

I would like to see Hellickson move to the pen. The first two innings he's great, after that he folds like a lawn chair. Ynoa, Scott, Liranzo, and Ramirez are all under the age of 25. Maybe one of them will break out next year. We need to work on our line up which was sad in the last month of the season. We're going to bat Kavis and Dumbo 8-9 in our batting order.

I will enjoy seeing Hellickson in another team’s uniform!

55 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

We do not own Hellickson.

Archived