O's fail to score at least 4 runs 20 times out of 28 September games

mdbdotcom

57 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The offense (or lack there of) hurt us in September. The starting pitching hurt us all year.

The offense was better than the pitching, but not playoff caliber.   Here's our rank in the AL in runs/game, by month:

April - tied for 7th

May - 9th

June - 13th

July - 5th

August - 1st

September - 15th

Overall - 8th

Bottom line, the offense was mediocre and inconsistent.    The way they ended the season was hugely disappointing.     

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bottom line, the offense was mediocre and inconsistent.    The way they ended the season was hugely disappointing.     

As usual.  That's what they get for having a team that has to score 50% of its runs on homers.  When they're not hitting longballs, they have a hard time scoring.  Games where they hit 3 and 4 homers are definitely exciting but that's tempered with the 1 run games and games like yesterday where they're whiffing all over the place. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As usual.  That's what they get for having a team that has to score 50% of its runs on homers.  When they're not hitting longballs, they have a hard time scoring.  Games where they hit 3 and 4 homers are definitely exciting but that's tempered with the 1 run games and games like yesterday where they're whiffing all over the place. 

I wouldn't say "as usual."    The offense has been slightly above average for the previous few seasons.    This year they weren't.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I wouldn't say "as usual."    The offense has been slightly above average for the previous few seasons.    This year they weren't.   

I guess so.  However I remember (and I know you do, too) extended stretches of time in previous seasons where the offense would go completely quiet.  

This year is also offset by the fact that we didn't have monster years from a guy like Trumbo, Davis or Cruz.  Trumbo and Davis regressed a lot and while that isn't 100% of the reason for an average offense, it'd play a part for sure, IMO.    

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I guess so.  However I remember (and I know you do, too) extended stretches of time in previous seasons where the offense would go completely quiet.  

This year is also offset by the fact that we didn't have monster years from a guy like Trumbo, Davis or Cruz.  Trumbo and Davis regressed a lot and while that isn't 100% of the reason for an average offense, it'd play a part for sure, IMO.    

Trumbo and Davis obviously were a huge part of the reason our offense was slightly below average this year.    It's also no coincidence that the two months where the offense was above average were the two where Manny was hot.    Otherwise he did not produce well and it showed in the team performance.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The offense was better than the pitching, but not playoff caliber.   Here's our rank in the AL in runs/game, by month:

April - tied for 7th

May - 9th

June - 13th

July - 5th

August - 1st

September - 15th

Overall - 8th

Month by Month
Split W L RS RA W-L%
April 15 8 101 100 .652
May 12 16 128 134 .429
June 12 16 124 186 .429
July 12 14 132 136 .462
August 17 12 175 124 .586
September 7 20 83 155 .259
October 0 1 0 6 .000

Just wanted to put a month to month W-L record alongside this as well.

Archived