Henneman: Orioles' Young Players Show Promise, But Not All Are Ready For Big Leagues

PressBoxOnline

After watching the Orioles' young players get a chance during September, Jim Henneman says he learned two things: 1) The Orioles seem to have finally developed some position players with promise; and 2) collectively, they aren't ready for delivery to the big leagues as a package.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/10/04/orioles-young-players-show-promise-but-not-all-are-ready-for-big-leagues-just-yet

I agree with this assessment.  I think Sisco should be on the team on opening day 2018 as a backup to Caleb Joseph, and Santander should get plenty of chances in RF/DH at the start of the season to prove that he should stick all year.  I think Hays has a lot of promise but he needs to work on hitting breaking and offspeed pitches, and should start the season at Norfolk (along with Mullins). If he succeeds there while Santander struggles in the majors, they could change places once Santander has put in his 45 days.   

I still think the O's should try to trade Trumbo this offseason, but I'm not as opposed as I once was to signing someone like Seth Smith to a one-year contract, especially if the O's are going all in next season for one last try at a championship while Manny is still wearing Orange and Black.  

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree with this assessment.  I think Sisco should be on the team on opening day 2018 as a backup to Caleb Joseph, and Santander should get plenty of chances in RF/DH at the start of the season to prove that he should stick all year.  I think Hays has a lot of promise but he needs to work on hitting breaking and offspeed pitches, and should start the season at Norfolk (along with Mullins). If he succeeds there while Santander struggles in the majors, they could change places once Santander has put in his 45 days.   

I agree with you.    Of course, spring training could change my mind.    

I'd like to see Caleb and Sisco close to a 50/50 split.   

o

Because our biggest need is starting pitching, my biggest concern is the continued development (and health) of Hunter Harvey.

When I saw him pitching in the Advanced Rookie Leagues (Aberdeen) in Coney Island in mid-August, he looked as dominant as his stats showed.

The Major Leagues is another 5 steps above the Advanced-Rookie Leagues, but for the time being I am thrilled with his health and the velocity on his pitches ........ patience, patience, patience. The Orioles may need somebody like him in the short run, but his long-term future is more significant to the franchise than the next season or two is, and he will probably have more of a chance to benefit the team in that long run if he isn't rushed through the ranks because of the Orioles' current desperate starting pitcher status with their Big League club.

o

1. Is it possible we go into next year with the OF like so? 

• Jones CF
  • Mancini LF 
  • Rickard / Santander RF
  • Gentry 4th OF
  • Hayes given a shot to win the job out of ST. If he tears up ST, he knocks Gentry off the roster. If not, he goes to AAA. 

2. I do see a Joseph / Sisco split

3. The infield seems set 

4. I see a rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Tillman, Castro, + new starter

There is a lot we do not know about Santander.   He might play in the AFL this winter and its not impossible  he could play winter ball in the Dominican.   By next spring we may be thinking differently about his readiness.

Sisco looks like he is ready for the majors has a hitter.  Especially after putting up  292/374/434/809 numbers on the road in the International League.  Remember Mancini's road numbers in AAA were more telling then his Harbor Park numbers.   However, Sisco may not be ready to control the running game and that will surely show up in ST.

Wynns may be a better defensive catcher at this point and he had a 281/377/419/796 at AA.

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I still think the O's should try to trade Trumbo this offseason, but I'm not as opposed as I once was to signing someone like Seth Smith to a one-year contract, especially if the O's are going all in next season for one last try at a championship while Manny is still wearing Orange and Black.  

Rather see Hays in RF than Smith. 

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

• Jones CF
  • Mancini LF 
  • Rickard / Santander RF
  • Gentry 4th OF
  • Hayes given a shot to win the job out of ST. If he tears up ST, he knocks Gentry off the roster. If not, he goes to AAA. 

3. The infield seems set 

If DD brings back basically the same team next year how is that going to work? I don't think it will. It's the same damn way with that guy.  Bring in used up players. Why Rickard? Hays can do better I think. But he won't get the chance with Buck and DD running the show. IMO 

4 hours ago, jtschrei said:

• Jones CF
  • Mancini LF 
  • Rickard / Santander RF
  • Gentry 4th OF

3. The infield seems set 

It's going to be a tough year for me if it is.  If I were the king of the Orioles,  Davis would get an ultimatum next spring -- either learn how to hit to left and bunt down the line or take a permanent seat on the bench. While I'm acting as dictator, Trumbo goes, I don't care how.  What do we gain by keeping him around? The future money is spent and he is doing little but taking at-bats from better hitters.  Oh wait,  I forgot about the terrible defense.

Just now, Since'54 said:

It's going to be a tough year for me if it is.  If I were the king of the Orioles,  Davis would get an ultimatum next spring -- either learn how to hit to left and bunt down the line or take a permanent seat on the bench. While I'm acting as dictator, Trumbo goes, I don't care how.  What do we gain by keeping him around? The future money is spent and he is doing little but taking at-bats from better hitters.  Oh wait,  I forgot about the terrible defense.

Look, I'd be happy to trade Trumbo, but don't you think it's premature to write off the possibility that he could have a much better year next year?    Assuming that 2018 will look just like 2017 is no more valid than it would have been to assume that 2017 would look just like 2016.

Archived