Roch has been told the O's need 4 more starters

wildcard

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aglets said:

We need another near miraculous 2011 type offseason of acquiring starters.

Not impossible, but it will be very difficult.

Awesome stats from 2012:

Hammel, Chen, and Gonzalez combined for about 415 Innings,  nearly 9 WAR,  and cost us a total of about $8M combined.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Ynoa is already counted in one of the 4 that we have on hand (needing 8). Gausman, Bundy, Ynoa, Castro. Do we have anyone else?

Bleier may be stretched out in ST to see what he can do as a starter.

By the 2nd half any one or more of Ramirez, Hess, Means and Long  may be knocking on the door.  Its the 1st half that is a problem.

Ynoa probably is stretched out but I think he is more of a long reliever in the majors if that.

The O's need to acquire two starters that have major  league experience with some success.  The others can be starters with potential.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bleier may be stretched out in ST to see what he can do as a starter.

By the 2nd half any one or more of Ramirez, Hess, Means and Long  may be knocking on the door.  Its the 1st half that is a problem.

Ynoa probably is stretched out but I think he is more of a long reliever in the majors if that.

The O's need to acquire two starters that have major  league experience with some success.  The others can be starters with potential.

I've never bought Bleier as a starter.    I think he'd be way less effective if Buck didn't pick his spots.    I prefer Ynoa over Bleier as a starter.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I've never bought Bleier as a starter.    I think he'd be way less effective if Buck didn't pick his spots.    I prefer Ynoa over Bleier as a starter.

I don't believe either are major league starters.  However, Bleier went 14-5 with a 2.57 ERA  in AA/AAA in 2015.  26 of his 28 appearances were as a starter.   I can see the O's giving him a shot as a start in ST.

o

As I have stated before, I would love it if the Orioles would sign Lance Lynn to take some pressure off of Bundy and Gausman (of feeling like they have to win almost every time out), plus it would give the Orioles some more breathing room for the #4 and #5 spots.

Ideally I would like to see them add 2 solid starting pitchers from free agency, but realistically for a mid-market team like the Orioles (especially with the impending free agency in the relatively near future of both Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop), I would be happy with one major addition to the starting rotation via free agency ...... a bonafide solid starter, not wing-and-a-prayer types like Gallardo and Jimenez.

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

As I have stated before, I would love it if the Orioles would sign Lance Lynn to take some pressure off of Bundy and Gausman (of feeling like they have to win almost every time out), plus it would give the Orioles some more breathing room for the #4 and #5 spots.

Ideally I would like to see them add 2 solid starting pitchers from free agency, but realistically for a mid-market team like the Orioles (especially with the impending free agency in the relatively near future of both Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop), I would be happy with one major addition to the starting rotation via free agency ...... a bonafide solid starter, not wing-and-a-prayer types like Gallardo and Jimenez.

o

I really liked Lynn when I first looked at this FA class, but his numbers this year really aren't that great. 4.82 FIP, career high 3.8 BB/9 and career low 7.4 K/9. I haven't watched him in a long time but I would be worried we would be buying at the wrong time. Unfortunately there is no Price/Scherzer on the market, not that we could afford anyone like that. 

Archived