Buck Is A Rumored Candidate For The Phillies Managerial Job?

ORIOLE33

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

If so, then our standards are very low. And this isn't a slight on Buck, but managers that has had more success than him don't  get a lifetime contract.

Then they are low. Buck is always welcome if he wants to stay an Oriole. 

4 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

If John Farrell can be fired by Boston, why is it so out of the question for the Orioles to replace Buck?

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

Because Buck has led the O's to unprecedented success (since the late 90s), is almost universally admired in the industry, and is highly respected by basically everyone that knows baseball.

So that gives him a lifetime contract?

o

Perhaps not a lifetime contract, but a good deal more of a leash/rope than being fired after a bad season after having previously had 4 winning (and one .500) seasons immediately prior to said bad season.

With the historically bad starting pitching and the (subsequently) extremely overworked bullpen that the Orioles had this past season, I think that one would be hard-pressed to find many other managers that could have done better than the 75-87 overall record that the Orioles had in 2017. 

Looking back on a situation that has some similarities (but also a significant difference in that Earl Weaver had a much longer overall tenure and success record with the Orioles than does Showalter currently), when Earl Weaver voluntarily walked away from the Orioles' managerial position after sustaining his first losing season ever following the 1986 season, I don't think that he necessarily should have been fired had he not chosen to retire. The 1986 Orioles were a slightly-above average team for much of the season, and fell apart down the stretch ........ but then the 1987 and 1988 teams each got progressively worse, which I believe suggests that it would not have mattered much if Weaver had stayed on, or if Cal Ripken, Sr had taken over as he did.

o

So that gives him a lifetime contract?

No.  And who said anything about a lifetime contract?

I can think he is a good manager and still not think he deserves an unlimited amount of years or dollars.  I don't think we should elect him to be the city's mayor either (yet).

He just shouldn't be let go because Duquette gave him a roster this year that happened to include the worst starting rotation in all of baseball.

If John Farrell can be fired by Boston, why is it so out of the question for the O's to replace Buck?

You got that right. His team won the ALEast. And he still got canned. If Buck and DD get canned by Angelos then so be it.

If Buck is going, we need to trade him to Philly, but they have to take on Davis' contract as well. But seriously, we should extend Buck or let him go now. If we are letting him go, then we need to make a decision on Dan. If we want him around for a longer time for a rebuild, then give him and extension or go ahead and let both of them go.

Angelos has rarely fired a manager before his contract was up.    He's certainly not going to do it with Buck after one losing season.     But I suppose he may now wait until after next season to decide whether Buck should be extended. If I were him, I'd meet with Buck and at least discuss the situation, rather than leave Buck guessing as to what's going on (and vice versa).

8 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If Buck is going, we need to trade him to Philly, but they have to take on Davis' contract as well. But seriously, we should extend Buck or let him go now. If we are letting him go, then we need to make a decision on Dan. If we want him around for a longer time for a rebuild, then give him and extension or go ahead and let both of them go.

There's no indication that a rebuild is on anyone's radar who doesn't regularly post on the OH.  Dan and Buck are here for 2018.  And Manny, and AJ, and Zach, and Trumbo...

Archived