Should the Orioles bring back Miguel Gonzalez?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'm hoping for Cobb and Sabathia.  Throw Gonzo in there too, and you have a competitive rotation.

Of course, I would rather trade Manny and Britton and begin a rebuild, but we know that won't happen.

Make the right deals for Manny and Britton and you stay competitive in 2018.  Gonzo (and rebuilding) is an afterthought in that scenario.

1 hour ago, weams said:

This is the type of pitcher they needed. Not a 5 inning guy again. A guy who throws 97 in the eighth. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/sports/baseball/justin-verlander-houston-astros-yankees.html

Despite his age and high salary, I've been having some remorse about not going after Verlander.   However, there's no saying he would have approved a trade to the Orioles, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Despite his age and high salary, I've been having some remorse about not going after Verlander.   However, there's no saying he would have approved a trade to the Orioles, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.  

I still think I was right. And we could have made a deal. there is always a sweetener for those types of instances. We were right in the hunt. 

9 minutes ago, weams said:

I still think I was right. And we could have made a deal. there is always a sweetener for those types of instances. We were right in the hunt. 

No matter what he'd done, it wouldn't have been enough to get this team into the playoffs this year, knowing how everyone else played in September.    But he would have been a nice piece to build around for next year's rotation.  

Just now, Frobby said:

No matter what he'd done, it wouldn't have been enough to get this team into the playoffs this year.    But he would have been a nice piece to build around for next year's rotation.  

But we did not know that then...

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 8:39 AM, CP0861 said:

Ehhh....you're cherrypicking.

He had 2 bad back to back starts in September.  Aside from that, I think you could call him excellent after the AS break.

I'm not saying he's Mike Mussina.....but you went out of your way for that stat.  How about his last 3 starts?  How about the 5 consecutive starts BEFORE the 2 bad back to back outings?  He was very good in literally 8 of his 10 last starts, and you're trying to use the 2 to make your case.

Miggy has thrown A LOT of quality starts since the O's let him go.  He'll throw well for a few starts, then get hammered.....then he'll throw another few solid starts....then get hammered.  I'm not sure how you can possibly look at his finish to the season.......allowing 2 ER or less in 9 out of 14 starts (10 of 14 were quality starts)....and try to paint the picture of him ending the season poorly.  He didn't.

Gonzalez's 4.08 ERA post-ASB is "excellent?" Maybe in your book but not in mine.

Look what he did in the second-half of the season! Sure, that's the exact same thing that was said when they signed Ubaldo.

In fairness to mdbdotcom, he used Gonzalez's final five starts -- re-read his post -- not two starts as you claim. I would say you are cherry-picking, too, as you start the clock on the "very good...8 of his last 10 starts" right after he allowed seven earned runs in an inning and two-thirds.

I understand liking a former player and even wishing for his return. But I don't see Gonzalez as capable of providing the level of performance necessary to make a playoff run in 2018. Did we not see enough of "He'll throw well for a few starts, then get hammered.....then he'll throw another few solid starts....then get hammered" this past season?

I would bring him back on a minor-league deal only.

If we were just one mediocre pitcher away from the playoffs, maybe, but we're not.

Not a needle-mover now.

Not part of the long-term future.

Pass.

btw - I could totally see the O's signing Tillman to a one-year deal and Gonzo to a two-year deal. I think I'd become close to physically ill if that were to happen, but it certainly could.

11 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Gonzalez's 4.08 ERA post-ASB is "excellent?" Maybe in your book but not in mine.

Look what he did in the second-half of the season! Sure, that's the exact same thing that was said when they signed Ubaldo.

In fairness to mdbdotcom, he used Gonzalez's final five starts -- re-read his post -- not two starts as you claim. I would say you are cherry-picking, too, as you start the clock on the "very good...8 of his last 10 starts" right after he allowed seven earned runs in an inning and two-thirds.

I understand liking a former player and even wishing for his return. But I don't see Gonzalez as capable of providing the level of performance necessary to make a playoff run in 2018. Did we not see enough of "He'll throw well for a few starts, then get hammered.....then he'll throw another few solid starts....then get hammered" this past season?

I would bring him back on a minor-league deal only.

Excellent is subjective, is it not?  I said "you could call him excellent", as in one could make the argument.  Could one argue that pitching 11 quality starts out of 14 down the stretch is excellent?  I think so.  Nevermind the fact that more than half of those starts were against LAD (2x), CHC, CLE, BOS, HOU, MN.  Post ASB, more than half his ER's were from his 3 bad starts.  They all count, I get it.....but he wasn't the bad pitcher that the poster was trying to imply by using a very small and selective 5 start sample. 

No need to re-read his post.  I didn't miss a thing.  His September ERA was bad due to the 2 bad starts.  That was my point. 

Dude makes quality starts.  That's all I'm saying.  Considering his cost, and what we had to endure down the stretch, I think it's pretty clear he'd be an upgrade over most of our rotation.  I wouldn't mind one bit having him next year as our 4th or 5th. 

Archived