30 Years After Darrell Evans was Picked Off of 3rd Base ......

OFFNY

o

30 years after the Detroit Tigers' Darrell Evans was picked off of 3rd base by the Twins' catcher at a crucial time in the two teams' pivotal 4th game of the 1987 ALCS,  the Washington Nationals' Jose Lobaton was picked off of 1st base at a crucial by Cubs' catcher Wilson Contreras in the 5th and deciding game of their 2017 NLDS.

When Evans was picked off of 3rd base 30 years ago, the Tigers had runners on 1st and 3rd base with only one out in the bottom of the 6th inning, and were trailing by one run (4-3.)

When Lobaton was picked off of 1st base tonight, the Nationals had runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th inning, and were trailing by one run (9-8.)

o

I intensely dislike the whole "does the runner who beat the throw/tag maintain contact with the base the entire time" sort of reviews. Darrell Evans was picked off. To me, Lobaton beat the tag. Otherwise you start going back to 1991 and Hrbek muscling Gant off the bag (not that Lobaton was forced off, but there's a very thin line). It gets tedious.

Tom Boswell had this from Lobaton in his brilliant piece.  What a day for ex-O's Werth, Albers, Strop, Wieters and game winner Brian Duensing!  Wieters the goat (?)...

But in the new world of baseball challenges and replays, doing things that would have been satisfactory since the 19th century is no longer good enough. Lobaton’s foot came off the base for an instant. The Cubs challenged. And he was ruled “out” after the crowd of 43,849 waited in agony for 96 seconds. 

“I thought I was safe. I didn’t know my foot came off,” said Lobaton, adding later, “That’s baseball. You got to win. You got to lose. And you got to take it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/an-unforgettable-night-at-once-ugly-and-beautiful-ends-the-nationals-season/2017/10/13/ac2bec40-af85-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.a9a358672382

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

30 years after the Detroit Tigers' Darrell Evans was picked off of 3rd base by the Twins' catcher at a crucial time in the two teams' pivotal 4th game of the 1987 ALCS,  the Washington Nationals' Jose Lobaton was picked off of 1st base at a crucial by Cubs' catcher Wilson Contreras in the 5th and deciding game of their 2017 NLDS.

When Evans was picked off of 3rd base 30 years ago, the Tigers had runners on 1st and 3rd base with only one out in the bottom of the 6th inning, and were trailing by one run (4-3.)

When Lobaton was picked off of 3rd base tonight, the Nationals had runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th inning, and were trailing by one run (9-8.)

o

Your memory of things that happened 30 years ago is downright scary.    What did you have for breakfast that day?

I'm as happy as the next guy that the Nats lost, but a call like that frustrates me.  It's one thing if a runner slides past the bag, it's another if he loses contact with the bag for a split second during the slide.  That may be in keeping with the letter of the law but not the spirit.  He was safe.  I think MLB needs to address this somehow.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm as happy as the next guy that the Nats lost, but a call like that frustrates me.  It's one thing if a runner slides past the bag, it's another if he loses contact with the bag for a split second during the slide.  That may be in keeping with the letter of the law but not the spirit.  He was safe.  I think MLB needs to address this somehow.

This guy agrees with you:   https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dear-mlb-please-fix-the-slide-replay/

On 10/13/2017 at 1:26 AM, OFFNY said:

o

When Lobaton was picked off of 1st base tonight, the Nationals had runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th inning, and were trailing by one run (9-8.)

o

o

While this call being overturned has been highly debated as to whether or not it was the correct decision by the crew in New York, I believe that there is a larger point in all of this ...... 

More significantly than whether or not the right call was made, Jose Lobaton had absolutely nowhere to go in terms of stealing 2nd base, so he subsequently had no business of allowing that to be even a remotely close play at all in the first place ...... in addition to the fact that Lobaton is slow, there was another base-runner on 2nd base in the first place. Wilson Contreras must have thought that Christmas was coming early for him to even have had the option of attempting to pick a slow catcher off of 1st base while 2nd base was occupied in that crucial situation.

When Herb Washington was picked off of 1st base in the 1974 World Series, he was one of the fastest men in the world AND 2nd base was open for a potential stolen base to get himself into scoring position to try to tie the game. Lobaton being as far off of the bag as he was in that particular situation (and subsequently putting himself in a position of potentially being picked off) was as big of a blunder as was Darrell Evans' gaffe in the 1987 ALCS that I cited in the OP.

o

Archived