Santander in the AZ fall League

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Can we go ahead and give Dan credit for picking santander in the rule five draft? Very good move by Dan! It looked like a crazy move when he first picked him but everything worked out great.

Too early to call it a success since Santander has barely played in the majors. 

I will say Santander is the most promising Rule V pick I've ever seen on the O's.  

Dan was smart by picking him because he probably knew that Santander would be on the DL for most of the year. Most of us Oriole fans were wondering how the Orioles were going to be able to keep him. I am confident that Santander's bat will be able to handle MLB pitching. What position will he play? I think that is the only thing to be determined.

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Too early to call it a success since Santander has barely played in the majors. 

I will say Santander is the most promising Rule V pick I've ever seen on the O's.  

Agreed that he seems to have the most upside of anyone we've drafted.    Also agreed that it's premature to call the pick a success.   

I'll say one other thing: if we end up having to send Santander to the minors after his 44 days in the majors, that won't make this pick a failure.    He's barely played AA, and even if it takes all of 2018-19 to develop him to the point where he's fully ready for the majors, it could be worth it if he's an above average OF in a couple of years.  

Jay Bruce is a best case scenario comp for Santander IMO.  Similar defensive profile too.  Bruce has a pretty good throwing arm and a -3.6 DWAR over 10 seasons. Close to replacement level defense, which is just fine from a big slugger in the OF.  

During his late season roster addition, Santander was in right field. In the AFL so far, he has been in left.

Don't know if the Orioles want him to get some experience in left and he is still practicing in right also, or if they are going to make him mainly a left fielder, which would open up right field to Hays to start the season. The only question in that case is, where would Mancini be?

Reading too much into it? Maybe. But with this team, you never know what their thinking is.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

During his late season roster addition, Santander was in right field. In the AFL so far, he has been in left.

Don't know if the Orioles want him to get some experience in left and he is still practicing in right also, or if they are going to make him mainly a left fielder, which would open up right field to Hays to start the season. The only question in that case is, where would Mancini be?

Reading too much into it? Maybe. But with this team, you never know what their thinking is.

I think that is a reflection of the manager, JR House, and the talent on the team.

Corey Ray is a Brewers 1st rounder with plus speed.

Monte Harrison is a Brewers 2nd rounder with a cannon arm.

Yonathan Daza has both speed  (31 steals this year) and an arm (37 assists in 257 games).

Victor Reyes played RF/CF  for JR House  in AA.

Santander is a guy known for his bat that is coming off a shoulder injury.   I would expect him to DH and play some left on this team.

Archived