Most interesting off season in a long time?

Diehard_O's_Fan

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm a little confused by your post.  

Are you saying that Hess, Long Means and Wilkerson should all be added to the 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 draft?  Because that is the only way you can make sure they get an opportunity in ST and are not claimed in the Rule 5 draft.

Castillo and Joseph have both missed a month or more on the DL over the last 2 years.  It happen to catchers.  Tough job.  Even if Joseph and Sisco are in the majors, the O's need a good defensive catcher at AAA.   Wynn  looks like a better choice then Pena at this point IMO.  So I would put him of the 40 roster to protect him.  The thing about Wynns is he can throw out runners.   If Buck finds that Sisco can't control the running game he may go back to AAA.  Then Wynns is the best choice to share time with Joseph.

Wotherspoon and Yacabonis probably had the best year of the O's AAA relievers.  If he should be in AAA as depth he probably has to be put on the 40 man roster to protect him. Or maybe you don't think he gets claimed.

Rifeala is eligible for the draft.  Are you alright with no protecting him and maybe have him taken in the Rule 5 like Santander was?   If he is taken he is no  longer a trade chip this off season. MVP of the Carolina League at 22 years old may make him attractive to  other clubs.

Stewart and Mullins do not need to be protected this off season.  I am sure the O's will invite them to camp to see what they can do.   If they are still in the organization next spring.

I wasn't talking about the 40 man roster, just general takes on whether a player would be an option for the big league club next year.

I think Hess, Long, and Means should be added to the 40.  Wilkerson too if the brass think he's a legit utility option.  They may want to add Rifaela to be safe but he isn't nearly the prospect Santander was when picked, if it was my call, I'd leave him off.

If I had to choose between Pena as AAA depth + an open 40 man spot vs Wynns as AAA depth with no open spot, I'd choose Pena. Wynns is not going to be on the roster over Sisco.  (I am in favor of a rebuild and I'd love to see Joseph traded and Sisco and Wynns as the catchers, but that's not going to happen.)  Wynns is a guy who could legitimately get selected in the rule 5 draft, that may be a an acceptable risk for the Orioles, I don't think he's a lock for the 40 man, if he was, he'd have gotten time in September.  

Wotherspoon might get claimed, but guys like him are dime a dozen on the waiver wire, so I don't know how concerned they would be.

5 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think it actually isn't going to be that interesting. Buck and Dan are going to lead on one year contracts. They will retool and not rebuild. Castillo will opt out. We will make a play for two or three pitchers. If there is a good deal, DD may get Angelos to up the salary and make one more run for it with basically the current cast, plus a few pitchers.

Agree.  If we were going to change manager or GM we would have on October 2.

They have already said they are unlikely to trade the 2018 free agents.

They are going to try to scrape together a few starting Ps and probably ly one LH bats via the usual combination of 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, minor trades, rule 5, and dumpster diving.

We will go into next season hoping that the improvements are enough to contend.  But we won't KNOW it one way or the other.  Is our second tier free agent acquisition that year's Andrew Cashner (a bargain find) or another Gallardo?  We won't know.  Some posters will be optimistic and hopeful, others will say we are doomed to another .500 or below season (even without knowing who the pitcher is, I can pretty much tell you the names of 10 OH posters who will be hopeful and 15 who will be dismissive of the acquisition).

We'll make some small time acquisition that barely anyone has heard of, with about a 10-20% chance that guy will be a Miguel Gonzalez like pickup and an 80-90% chance he is another Nuno or Asher.  But we won't KNOW for sure.

I think it will be a very predictable off-season leading into a season where we will be picked by the experts to win somewhere between 70 to 80 games and we will actually win somewhere between 75 and 89 games and where we fall in that range will make all the difference.  And we won't really know until at least August.

Now NEXT off-season will be very interesting.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Agree.  If we were going to change manager or GM we would have on October 2.

They have already said they are unlikely to trade the 2018 free agents.

They are going to try to scrape together a few starting Ps and probably ly one LH bats via the usual combination of 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, minor trades, rule 5, and dumpster diving.

We will go into next season hoping that the improvements are enough to contend.  But we won't KNOW it one way or the other.  Is our second tier free agent acquisition that year's Andrew Cashner (a bargain find) or another Gallardo?  We won't know.  Some posters will be optimistic and hopeful, others will say we are doomed to another .500 or below season (even without knowing who the pitcher is, I can pretty much tell you the names of 10 OH posters who will be hopeful and 15 who will be dismissive of the acquisition).

We'll make some small time acquisition that barely anyone has heard of, with about a 10-20% chance that guy will be a Miguel Gonzalez like pickup and an 80-90% chance he is another Nuno or Asher.  But we won't KNOW for sure.

I think it will be a very predictable off-season leading into a season where we will be picked by the experts to win somewhere between 70 to 80 games and we will actually win somewhere between 75 and 89 games and where we fall in that range will make all the difference.  And we won't really know until at least August.

Now NEXT off-season will be very interesting.

That's exactly what I think

10 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You know this how?

I said "I think" not  "I know".

From Roch:

Will the Orioles try to re-sign Chris Tillman?
I certainly don’t get the sense that they’ve moved on from him. They have multiple openings in the rotation and could bring back Tillman on a one-year deal. There’s comfort on both sides. I doubt that Tillman would run screaming from hitter-friendly Camden Yards and the American League East while trying to reestablish his value in the pitching market. A “normal” offseason and spring training could do wonders for Tillman, who fell behind and never caught up.

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is Roch really buying into this?     What is the true story?    What is Tillman's normal offseason routine and what wasn't he able to do last year?    This guy had since April of this year until September to get into pitching shape.   His first appearance was on May 7.     Why does Roch not state the obvious?     Tillman was injured last September.    The injury was still bothering him in December.    He had his worst season by far and was a completely different pitcher than the year before.   Is it too hard to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4?     

I do think that Roch is putting a little too much faith in a "normal " offseason of workouts.  I think Tillman needs to strengthen the muscles in the shoulder that allow him to throw at the higher arm slot.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I do think that Roch is putting a little too much faith in a "normal " offseason of workouts.  I think Tillman needs to strengthen the muscles in the shoulder that allow him to throw at the higher arm slot.

I think he needs to rebuild his delivery to where it was before.

6 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You said “They want him back.  He wants to come back.” 

“I haven’t put a whole lot of thought into it,” Tillman said. “The whole fresh start could be anywhere. It’s a new year. I’m going to have a healthy offseason. That fresh start could be here. A lot of the comforts I already have are here. I’m comfortable here. It’s the only thing I know. That whole fresh start doesn’t have to be somewhere else. It could be here.”

From Roch:

Will the Orioles try to re-sign Chris Tillman?
I certainly don’t get the sense that they’ve moved on from him. They have multiple openings in the rotation and could bring back Tillman on a one-year deal. There’s comfort on both sides. I doubt that Tillman would run screaming from hitter-friendly Camden Yards and the American League East while trying to reestablish his value in the pitching market. A “normal” offseason and spring training could do wonders for Tillman, who fell behind and never caught up.

Archived