Tell me again why we didn't claim Verlander

bird watcher

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, interloper said:

We didn't put in a claim because Angelos would not have signed off on the risk of paying $28 million for a 34 year old pitcher. The end.

And yet some people will rip DD this offseason for being cheap and a dumpster diver. 

On 10/15/2017 at 11:34 AM, bird watcher said:

I gladly accept him and his contract with not cash coming back if I don't have to give anything up. I guess the O's weren't, which I find objectionable. 

I assume the Tigers wanted something and would have pulled him back if he were claimed. 

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

And yet some people will rip DD this offseason for being cheap and a dumpster diver. 

I agree that many of these criticisms are unfair, but you have to figure that Dan knew when he took the job that he would be answerable to an owner who would be very likely to meddle in these personnel and contract matters, is a clueless fool as far as putting together a baseball team is concerned, and was already in his 80s. Duquette may have underestimated the extent to which the owner wouldn't acknowledge his own role in these decisions, (or non-decisions) or the role of Brady in some decisions, but he had to know in general terms what he was getting into . 

22 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree that many of these criticisms are unfair, but you have to figure that Dan knew when he took the job that he would be answerable to an owner who would be very likely to meddle in these personnel and contract matters, is a clueless fool as far as putting together a baseball team is concerned, and was already in his 80s. Duquette may have underestimated the extent to which the owner wouldn't acknowledge his own role in these decisions, (or non-decisions) or the role of Brady in some decisions, but he had to know in general terms what he was getting into . 

Sure. And then he tried to parlay some moderate success into a real job with a better ownership structure.

Real simple reason why we couldn't claim Verlander. We already had 50ish million tied up in useless pitching. Tillman, Ubaldo, Miley. Plus if we weren't locked into Davis and Trumbo. We already had too much dead weight, too much in bad contracts going forward, and players getting big raises in arb. 

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

I don't know too much about the Blue Jays ownership, but from afar it seems like they are less meddling than Angelos.

My understanding is that they are slightly better than the former Marlins ownership.

Archived