Revised Oriole Top Ten Prospects (post draft)

WietersCorner

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get why not a lot of people on here like Billy Rowell, and no one has any confidence that he'll be good, and become our starting third basemen eventually. I would have to think that by the time Billy's Remiold's age, he will be in the majors.

I love Rowell and I think at worst he will be a decent major league 3rd baseman. He has a lot of star potential with that power of his. His ranking of number 8 just shows how strong our farm system is. We have 3 starters who have number 1 ceilings, the number 1 overall prospect, and two players (Liz, Riemold) who have better than 50/50 odds of making the show rated in front of Billy the kid. I really can not see how he would crack the top 5, where would you rank him?

Rowell needs to start to show results. His draft position is not going to bring up to the majors. Personally, I feel he didn't deserve his promotion to Fredrick after just posting an OPS of 761 in Delmarva.

He's currently hitting .237/.353/.436 at Fredrick which is not impressive at all. Albeit, he is only 19 years old.

Rowell needs to start to show results. His draft position is not going to bring up to the majors. Personally, I feel he didn't deserve his promotion to Fredrick after just posting an OPS of 761 in Delmarva.

He's currently hitting .237/.353/.436 at Fredrick which is not impressive at all. Albeit, he is only 19 years old.

Rowell is doing fine. Look at the league averages instead of the overall number. A little context might prove enlightening.

I never said he wasn't doing alright, but is he doing anything impressive to warrant a high prospect status?

Even with the league average numbers, his numbers are nothing impressive. I do realize he is only 19 years old in league with kids that are older. The thing that I want to say is that are his numbers for a 19 year old in High A portray an All-star 3rd basemen or project a league average Brandon Inge type player?

Rowell does have an advanced bat. For a teenager, he's got a nice swing and hits the ball well to all fields. The one thing I've been concerned with from his bat is a lack of power production, only 2 HR's. I'm hoping that changes in the second half, because I really do see him on the fringe of our Top 10. I'm already skeptical enough with some parts of his defense.

I never said he wasn't doing alright, but is he doing anything impressive to warrant a high prospect status?

Even with the league average numbers, his numbers are nothing impressive. I do realize he is only 19 years old in league with kids that are older. The thing that I want to say is that are his numbers for a 19 year old in High A portray an All-star 3rd basemen or project a league average Brandon Inge type player?

I really believe that Rowell will develop exponentially through our system. I think that once he gets it he will dominate through the upper levels of the minors. He just needs to tweak his mechanics and find a rhythm he likes. :scratchchinhmm:

Orioles are going to have a top 5 farm system next year, considering only Liz is going to graduate from this list.

I think this prediction is unlikely unless another prospect turns up the production a few notches.

We will graduate Olson and Liz and lost Patton due to injury. We pick up the draft - which should be a net gain. I am hopeful that we may move into the top 10, but I think top 5 is a little rich without someone else stepping up as a premium prospect.

I really believe that Rowell will develop exponentially through our system. I think that once he gets it he will dominate through the upper levels of the minors. He just needs to tweak his mechanics and find a rhythm he likes. :scratchchinhmm:
It's the logarithmic developers I get real concerned about.

What a horrible blanket statement... there is something like 6000 members of OH, what makes you think everyone has the same opinion?

I love Rowell's potential... thought he had a solid year last year at Delmarva considering his age... think he is holding his own in Frederick... and I really believe after 300-400 more at bats at Frederick this year, and 350 ab's at Bowie next year... that Rowell has a chance to replace Mora in the 2nd half of 2009.

The O's should make amends with Brooks Robinson, pay him some money.. and have him come work with Rowell on his positioning etc at 3rd.

There is ZERO chance Rowell has a chance (LOL) to be in the majors in 09.

Tons of pitching and very little hitting on that list. Hopefully out of the guys we drafted somebody can move into the top 10 or MacPhail can get something in a trade. Henson doesn't belong in the top 10 IMO...

I'm gonna guess Tony says no. I think AV brings up some real concerns about his defense. It's one thing to put up with some inconsistency in the field if your third baseman is bashing, but not if he's slapping the ball around the field.

Archived