Revised Oriole Top Ten Prospects (post draft)

WietersCorner

How is brandon snyder not on this list he is on fire lately now hitting .282.

My List:

1. Weiters

2. Tillman

3. Reimold

4. Arrieta

5. Matusz (just because we havent seen him yet)

6. Rowell

7. Snyder

8. Hernandez

9. Spoone

10. Pen

11. Bergensen

12. Butler

13. Henson

14. Tripp (just because of his age)

15. Gleason

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is brandon snyder not on this list he is on fire lately now hitting .282.

My List:

1. Weiters

2. Tillman

3. Reimold

4. Arrieta

5. Matusz (just because we havent seen him yet)

6. Rowell

7. Snyder

8. Hernandez

9. Spoone

10. Pen

11. Bergensen

12. Butler

13. Henson

14. Tripp (just because of his age)

15. Gleason

I'd insist that Erbe is on this list, you really dont have him in your top 15?

My Current Top 20 would be:

1 Weiters

2 Tillman

3 Matusz

4 Arrieta

5 Reimold

6 Spoone

7 Hernandez

8 Bergenson

9 Rowell

10 Snyder

11 Erbe

12 Penn

13 Avery

14 Henson

15 Tripp

16 Beato

17 Hoey

18 Bascom

19 Britton

20 Patton

That sure is a far cry from what we had just a few years ago. The depth is actually very impressive especially the pitching considering that Olson and Liz are now in the rotation and we have a number of young arms in the bullpen. We should be able to trade some of these arms in the next few years to help the offense.

1. Wieters

2. Tillman

3. Matusz

4. Arrieta

5. Reimold

6. Liz

7. Hernandez

8. Rowell

9. Spoone

10. Henson

Orioles are going to have a top 5 farm system next year, considering only Liz is going to graduate from this list.

Looking at all the individual rankings in this thread points out how far we this farm system has come in a few years.

To add more evidence to how far we have come: the list above, for example, doesn't include all the following young players sprinkled throughout the system with potential to be good-to-great players: Adam Jones, Olson, Albers, Patton, Ray, Erbe, Snyder, Bascom, Beato, Angle, Hoey, J Johnson, Sarfate, Tripp....

This system has gone from pretty awful to pretty darn good and fairly deep in just a few years. I also think we have the most underrated system in mlb.

My Current Top 20 would be:

1 Weiters

2 Tillman

3 Matusz

4 Arrieta

5 Reimold

6 Spoone

7 Hernandez

8 Bergenson

9 Rowell

10 Snyder

11 Erbe

12 Penn

13 Avery

14 Henson

15 Tripp

16 Beato

17 Hoey

18 Bascom

19 Britton

20 Patton

That sure is a far cry from what we had just a few years ago. The depth is actually very impressive especially the pitching considering that Olson and Liz are now in the rotation and we have a number of young arms in the bullpen. We should be able to trade some of these arms in the next few years to help the offense.

Is it fair to consider Wally Crancer for the top 20. Yes, he's way over-aged for Delmarva - at 23 going on 24, but a decent catcher with an OPS at .915 after more than 100 at bats catches my attention. Top 30, at least.

Is it fair to consider Wally Crancer for the top 20. Yes, he's way over-aged for Delmarva - at 23 going on 24, but a decent catcher with an OPS at .915 after more than 100 at bats catches my attention. Top 30, at least.

I think it's still a little too early to put Crancer up there. Yes, he's hitting well, esp. for a catcher, but there are enough questions surrounding him to make me say "wait and see" before we move him up prospect rankings. His defense at catcher still needs work. He's still learning, but he needs to show more improvement, because if the glove doesn't come around, then he doesn't have a shot at anything more than a back-up catcher in the bigs, and that limits the value of his bat.

Tony, do you think Rowell is the opening day starter in 2010?

I haven't seen anything from him that would indicate that. The good news is that time is on his side... the bad news is that his defense, power, and pitch recognition are suspect.

You can say small sample size, but I'm not impressed quite yet.

Hopefully he has a stronger finish this year.

I haven't seen anything from him that would indicate that. The good news is that time is on his side... the bad news is that his defense, power, and pitch recognition are suspect.

You can say small sample size, but I'm not impressed quite yet.

Hopefully he has a stronger finish this year.

Did you change your name from Hank to Tony? :skeletor:

;)

Time is on his side and it's been pointed out that for a 19 year old at Frederick, he's doing alright. He's not gangbusters, but the book hasn't been written on him yet.

Did you change your name from Hank to Tony? :skeletor:

;)

Time is on his side and it's been pointed out that for a 19 year old at Frederick, he's doing alright. He's not gangbusters, but the book hasn't been written on him yet.

:skeletor:

No, I changed it to "Bite me, Slappy."

I don't see how anyone else could have a different opinion of him at this point.

You obviously don't!!!

Why would you have Matusz in front of Arrieta at this point?

Matusz was the concencus #1 pitcher in this year's draft and while not considered the same as Price from last year's draft was much more highly regarded than Arrieta coming out of school. So, I'd say his position is based on the high opinion that the scouts had of Matusz coming into this year's draft. Given that Arrieta has had limited pro experience, it's not unreasonable to have Matusz rated slightly higher.

The important thing for me is that unlike years past, when guys like Rommie Lewis or Ryan Minor were our top prospects, I can point to at least 6 to 8 guys on this list that I have no doubt will have an impact on our major league team, although most of them Liz, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Bergesen, Spoone are pitchers with only Wieters and possibly Reimold pretty sure things at the plate.

Graduated: Liz, Olson, Johnson

1 Wieters

2 Matusz (trusting the scouts on this one)

3 Tillman

4 Arrieta

5 Reimold

6 Spoone

7 Rowell

8 Hernandez

9 Erbe

10 Bergesen

I don't think that top 5 is going to change much between now and the end of the year, unless Reimold loses his rookie eligibility. Spoone could also make a charge.

There's a lot of depth after the elite 5, so the bottom half of that list could end up looking quite different depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

The easy part:

Weiters

Tillman

Matusz

Arietta

Now it gets harder:

Spoone

Reimold

Bergesen

Hernandez

Rowell

Britton

I left Liz off the list since I think he'll stay in the majors from this point on. Rowell could rank much higher if he starts hitting, and Erbe could force his way onto the list with better performance.

Archived