Mike Friers on the trade market?

bpilktree

The Astros maybe looking to deal him in the next day or two as he is arbitration eligable and many sources think the Astros would decline the option and may look to move him before the deadline to atleast get a low level prospect out of it.  He has been a solid starter the last few years and would not cost much in terms of talent to acquire him  and he would be under control for either one or two years.  He is expected to get around $6 million which is a low cost for a decent number 4 starter and only one year of commitment if he struggles.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Astros maybe looking to deal him in the next day or two as he is arbitration eligable and many sources think the Astros would decline the option and may look to move him before the deadline to atleast get a low level prospect out of it.  He has been a solid starter the last few years and would not cost much in terms of talent to acquire him  and he would be under control for either one or two years.  He is expected to get around $6 million which is a low cost for a decent number 4 starter and only one year of commitment if he struggles.

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

On the Fiers note, what would you all think of this trade?  Purely speculation, but this seems like it'd work for both sides.

Britton to the Astros

Fiers, Rogelio Armenteros, and Abraham Toro-Hernandez (or other low minors upside guy) to the Orioles

The Orioles wouldn't get any TOP prospects in the deal, but they would save about 7 million and get two solid rotation options in one fell swoop.

The Astros give up Fiers (who they are reportedly considering non-tendering anyways). Armenterosa who is a MLB ready backend rotation guy who is behind higher upside pieces on the Astros but who would be the Orioles best upper minors rotation piece, and a young low level 3B with some upside in Toro-Hernandez.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd like to think the Orioles could do better than that for Britton, but who knows?

Fiers is a guy I would be interested in taking a flier on for a low-level minor leaguer, maybe someone just outside the Orioles' top 30.

I'd ask for more, but the salary and injury concerns are sure to suppress his value, that's as much as I'm confident he'd return.  Armenteros is probably a comparable prospect to Keegan Akin, little less upside, but major league ready.  Toro-Rodriguez would be in the 20-25 range on the Orioles prospect list.

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd like to think the Orioles could do better than that for Britton, but who knows?

Fiers is a guy I would be interested in taking a flier on for a low-level minor leaguer, maybe someone just outside the Orioles' top 30.

I hope the O's would look into potential better deals before pulling the trigger on this one, but this isn't a bad idea at all.  The minor leaguers are intriguing based on a quick look at BBRef and the budget gain is very useful.  Fiers leaves me a little cold and I would prefer nailing down starters 3 and 4 before settling on 5, but the O's would probably end up with someone no better anyway.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'd ask for more, but the salary and injury concerns are sure to suppress his value, that's as much as I'm confident he'd return.  Armenteros is probably a comparable prospect to Keegan Akin, little less upside, but major league ready.  Toro-Rodriguez would be in the 20-25 range on the Orioles prospect list.

Ah, thanks for the info on Armenteros and Toro-Rodriguez.  I would ask for more (maybe Fisher and Fiers?), but I guess that wouldn't be a terrible package. Better than letting Zach walk at the end of the year for nothing.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Ah, thanks for the info on Armenteros and Toro-Rodriguez.  I would ask for more (maybe Fisher and Fiers?), but I guess that wouldn't be a terrible package. Better than letting Zach walk at the end of the year for nothing.

The play of Britton this season, might be better with what prospect you end up with, since they are never a sure thing.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

If they want to trade Machado too, they could push for Fiers and Moran, although they'd probably have to eat some of Britton's salary or add a piece.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

The play of Britton this season, might be better with what prospect you end up with, since they are never a sure thing.

Of course, but even if he has the best relief season in the history of baseball and the Orioles don't make the playoffs, it's still a bad move for the club.

I'm fine with acquiring Fiers, but it should basically be for a low-level prospect or as a throw-in to a larger deal. Fiers is a fine No.5 level starter option. He'll give you 25-30 starts and a high-4 or low-5 ERA. It's not great, but it's also not Ubaldo.

Archived