Winter Meetings 2017

weams

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Really?  You are ok with starting the season with those three.  Ynoa had a 5.25 ERA at AAA   Hess and Long have never pitched above AA and we don't even know if Long will be in the O's organization after the Rule 5 draft.

I'd at least like to have someone that had success at AAA.

I watched Ynoa in AAA (5-6 starts) and he was hurt significantly by poor defense at times.  I think his fielding independent numbers are a better representation of the quality of his pitching.  If you don’t put stock in those things, his ERA was much better in the second half.  

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I watched Ynoa in AAA (5-6 starts) and he was hurt significantly by poor defense at times.  I think his fielding independent numbers are a better representation of the quality of his pitching.  If you don’t put stock in those things, his ERA was much better in the second half.  

I trust what you say about the minors and its good to hear you think highly of Ynoa.   The O's will need him to be good.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Really?  You are ok with starting the season with those three.  Ynoa had a 5.25 ERA at AAA   Hess and Long have never pitched above AA and we don't even know if Long will be in the O's organization after the Rule 5 draft.

I'd at least like to have someone that had success at AAA.

Ynoa had a 3.97 ERA in the PCL in 2016.    He finished 2017 strong.   I’m fine with him as our 6th or 7th starter, or even 5th if he wins the job this spring, so long as 3 and 4 are reliable.   

14 hours ago, weams said:

I fully expect the Orioles to sign Two MLB starters, Two MLB relievers. And Trade Two MLB relievers and possibly Manny. 

Why do you expect they trade Manny? I think that is very doubtful. If they trade Manny, Britton, and Brach they are rebuilding. They are not rebuilding.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not all of that was necessary to the rebuilding process.   It took them several years to realize rebuilding was in order.

You are probably right. I should have left it at, "If you want to do it the Astros' way, you have to tank it with three consecutive 100+loss seasons."

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

You are probably right. I should have left it at, "If you want to do it the Astros' way, you have to tank it with three consecutive 100+loss seasons."

If it guaranteed success, I’d live through that.   Unfortunately, success isn’t guaranteed.  

We're just going to face it that we're going to piece together our needs for the 2018 season because everyone is on a one year deal.  

DD- GM

Buck- MLB Coach

Manny- Elite player

Jones- Team Leader

Britton- Closer

I don't see how we're going to make any move that weakens us for 2018 at all in order to improve us for 2019 and beyond.  We're probably looking at two SP's added on 1 year deals and COF/DH LH bat.  

PA is going to do what PA always does, he's just going to let guys' contracts expire.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If it guaranteed success, I’d live through that.   Unfortunately, success isn’t guaranteed.  

It’s not guaranteed the way the Orioles do it either. I don’t like the idea of signing high priced FA, but at least that would be a direction. Straddling the line in the hopes of marginalized moves being successful is wishful thinking. I’d much rather they rebuild with a solid plan towards the future.

On 12/2/2017 at 7:40 PM, phillyOs119 said:

I think he is a middle of the rotation starter. 

Archived