Fanfest

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it isn't.

If my boss wants me to be somewhere on what is normally an off day, and they have a good reason and they tell me weeks in advance it is on me if I blow them off.  Doesn't make a difference if I am annoyed with them about something else or not.  It is a reasonable request made well in advance and is a regular event.

I agree. This is a once a year event FOR THE FANS. The players need to have a little respect for the organization that pays them and the fans that support them .

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

I still can't print most of my vouchers.  Called the Orioles, and they are aware of it.  He said to try and go back into the original email from the 17th and print from that, OR....keep your eye on another email that he thinks should be out sometime in the next hour or so.

What. A. Trainwreck.

The Commodore 64 they use is not working great today.My season tickets had the wrong invoice price.But glad to see another Bader famity member is now working in the season ticket department. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Its one day that they know about weeks in advance.

It isn't a lot to ask for these guys to clear one day off of their offseason schedule.

At the very least pull out before the announcement saying that you will be there.

Agree with this. If they really only let the team know today then it's a VERY childish move. And it's too much of a coincidence that it's both of them (and they're both good friends). On the bright side, maybe this is the type of motivation the team needs to stop straddling the fence and go all in on trading Manny. Then telling Schoop that they'll do the same to him if he doesn't extend. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it isn't.

If my boss wants me to be somewhere on what is normally an off day, and they have a good reason and they tell me weeks in advance it is on me if I blow them off.  Doesn't make a difference if I am annoyed with them about something else or not.  It is a reasonable request made well in advance and is a regular event.

Yeah, it's pretty shameful when you're paid millions of dollars and can't show up one day to sign some autographs for some kids. Doesn't matter how annoyed you are, at a certain point you have to be a professional and be a decent person to the community that supports you.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it isn't.

You know they have to get permission not to attend.

Just now, theocean said:

Yeah, it's pretty shameful when you're paid millions of dollars and can't show up one day to sign some autographs for some kids. Doesn't matter how annoyed you are, at a certain point you have to be a professional and be a decent person to the community that supports you.

I wasn't even considering the money.

If you are making minimum wage flipping burgers I expect more from you then flaking out at the last minute.

This hurts the fans and makes life harder for their teammates and all the support staff.

It doesn't bother Dan or Peter.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

So in your opinion because the O's make some poor decisions here and there the players are free to opt out of any obligations and appearances they sign up for at the last minute and that's the fault of the team?

I respectfully disagree.  There may be some perfectly legitimate reasons why Schoop and Manny had to opt out 24 hours before FanFest was due to start...............I look forward to hearing them.

If it was one of them, I might believe there was a good reason.   Both?    Very unlikely IMO.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

You know they have to get permission not to attend.

Or what?

Seriously if they called up this morning and say they were not going to be there what real recourse do the O's have?  Bring it up with the Union?  Publicly refuse them permission and watch them not show up anyway?

Per Eduardo A. Encino "Typically, players are only given permission to miss the event for an approved family or other personal reasons. First baseman Chris Davis and closer Zach Britton had previously been given permission to miss Saturday’s event and weren’t included on the autograph voucher schedule."

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/pro_sports/bs-sp-orioles-machado-20180127-story.html

"Something  came up" doesn't seem to cut it.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or what?

Seriously if they called up this morning and say they were not going to be there what real recourse do the O's have?  Bring it up with the Union?  Publicly refuse them permission and watch them not show up anyway?

They could fine them since it is part of the contract. But the union would go crazy.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or what?

Yeah - O's hands are kind of tied. Only thing they could really do is bench them for a game or two - but that seems kind of pointless and hurts the fans more anyway.

8 minutes ago, theocean said:

Agreed.  If I were Manny or Schoop, I would be tripping all over myself making sure the fanbase knew why I couldn't make it.  

Archived