Fanfest

Going Underground

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, theocean said:

I'm with you, I've always felt that FanFest is for kids. That's why both of them skipping the event bothers me. As I get older, I find myself questioning why I care about the Orioles so much - they're ultimately just a bunch of millionaires who I have no personal connection to playing a kids game.

I always justify my fandom with what the O's mean to the community and how a team can create excitement and unity amongst people of all different ages, backgrounds, and viewpoints.

So, when two players bail on a feel-good-community-event like this  - at least for me, it really exposes the Orioles for what they truly are: a money-making organization of millionaires who could care less.

So join me, cancel you cable and with it MASN, go to zero games, and do nothing to have your hard earned dollars line the pockets of someone like Chris Davis getting paid 23 million dollars a year to be one of the worst at his position in baseball. Sports is out of whack in America and the average Joe needs to wake up and stop feeding it.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So join me, cancel you cable and with it MASN, go to zero games, and do nothing to have your hard earned dollars line the pockets of someone like Chris Davis getting paid 23 million dollars a year to be one of the worst at his position in baseball. Sports is out of whack in America and the average Joe needs to wake up and stop feeding it.

If you hate sports why bother to post here?

23 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The reality for this franchise is that their ceiling most years is going to be the Wild Card. They just aren't organized, rich or intelligent enough to put together a contending team on more than a 1 or 2 year basis.

So when they make decisions like not trading Manny, they're doing so with the Wild Card in mind. "Hey, if we can get IN, anything can happen!!!" It's a real shame, but it's reality.

Unfortunately, they have to be two steps ahead of everyone else and they just don't have the desire/capacity to think that way. It is a different way to thinking to trade a guy like Machado with 2 years left on his rookie deal coming off a "playoff season." But that's reality. They could have NAMED THEIR PRICE at that point. There would have been no talk of negotiating windows or any of that happy horse leavings... teams would have lined up and the Orioles would have come away with a haul that teed them up for another run (or at least given them a real opportunity to do so.) Instead, no trade of arbitration Britton or Manny in the face of the Red Sox and Yankees improving, a last place finish and here we are, wondering who the hell our starting pitching is going to be while really not even having a snowball's chance in hell at the division. Anyone feel confident about the Wild Card?

Me neither.

B I N G O !    Great Post. Thanks.

Archived