How Come The Brewers Can Make An Offer For Darvish And Not The Orioles?

ORIOLE33

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles also gave the Brewers a boost by trading them Zach Davies.

I just want the Orioles to choose a direction, go all in for one last run in 2018 or start rebuilding.  Lack of organizational philosophy is going to set this franchise back a decade.    

You got that right.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I agree. Maybe it's Buck that's telling Angelos not to agree to signing Cobb or Lynn? I have to wonder who the hell is the GM of the O's? Buck or DD? 

None of the above. It's PA, and Buck DD and Brady are his chief advisers.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I agree. Maybe it's Buck that's telling Angelos not to agree to signing Cobb or Lynn? I have to wonder who the hell is the GM of the O's? Buck or DD? 

No one has signed Darvish, Arrietta, Cobb, or Lynn yet - - and the first Spring Training games kick off in a month. I know as fans we want our team to sign every big player, but maybe, most teams agree that big deals for these players will be regrettable.

For instance, this article that states Theo is unwilling to go behind three years for Cobb.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2018/01/05/kaplan-cubs-offered-cobb-42-million-three-years-epstein-unwilling-go-longer/

So we can’t be in on a guy like Darvish now because it is too much for where we are as an organization.   But the winter after we won the AL East, we also couldn’t be in on Max Scherzer or Jon Lester  because it was too much money even though our window was at its peak. 

We couldn’t even resign Andrew Miller as some kind of sign of truly going for it, instead we sign Wesley Wright.   And let Nelson Cruz walk because he wanted another year, and Nick go because he wanted another year.   But we did trade for Travis Snider as a “going all in”  for 2015 move. 

The only activity really going on that winter was not that of getting us a marquee player, like any of those I mentioned,  to get us over the top.   This is what Milwaukee and Minnesota are trying to do with Darvish this offseason...no, the real activity going on in the offseason after we won the division was Duquette trying to go to Toronto. 

16 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Does it really matter? Finishing in last place is finishing in last place. It should have been a wake up call for this team and it wasn't. And the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays have all made off season moves to get better whereas the Orioles have not. People aren't giving the Jays enough credit for the Diaz and Grichuk trades (Solarte signing). They were very savvy moves. It also seem inevitable that JD Martinez signs with the Red Sox. Even if the Orioles start out hot (i.e., in contention in May/June) this team, as constructed, is destined to battle it out for last place with the Rays. And I'd probably give the edge to the Rays because they have much better pitching. 

It does matter, meaningful games in Sept means the season was worthwhile.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per BP, our odds of making the playoffs never got higher than 10.9% during August/September.   That high point was on Sept. 3 when the O’s were 70-67, one game out of the second wild card (two games out in the loss column and tied with the Angels).   The following week we went 1-5 and our odds went to 3.4%, and then a second week at 2-5 dropped the odds to 0.5%.     

But, like I said in another post, it was still meaningful games in Sept.

You know how hard it is, to truly be interested in baseball in June, when your team is already out of it.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

But, like I said in another post, it was still meaningful games in Sept.

You know how hard it is, to truly be interested in baseball in June, when your team is already out of it.

It's baseball.

How can it not be interesting?

If my team had to be winning for it to be interesting I'd switch to the NBA, that way I would know what team to be a fan of before the season started.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's baseball.

How can it not be interesting?

If my team had to be winning for it to be interesting I'd switch to the NBA, that way I would know what team to be a fan of before the season started.

So that 14 year dry spout, you follow every game as intensely as you do, when they are playing good baseball?

So that 14 year dry spout, you follow every game as intensely as you do, when they are playing good baseball?

Gosh no, I was deployed for some of those years, didn't have the chance to watch that much.  Plus stuff like streaming games on the computer wasn't around then.  If you would like to go peruse game threads from when the team was bad I'm sure my name will be there.

In 1988 I watched, or listened on the radio, to all 21 games to start the season.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What is “good baseball”? It’s subjective, no? I want them to play good baseball with a plan in place to win the whole thing. For a change. If there are a couple of down seasons because of that, I can get excited watching the kids who I think will contribute to that happening. Intensely. Exciting.

Straddling the fence is frustrating, not exciting.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Gosh no, I was deployed for some of those years, didn't have the chance to watch that much.  Plus stuff like streaming games on the computer wasn't around then.  If you would like to go peruse game threads from when the team was bad I'm sure my name will be there.

In 1988 I watched, or listened on the radio, to all 21 games to start the season.

In 88, I was working nights, and was able to catch most of those games on the radio.

During the dry spell, I will admit to just tuning into the games for the most part, and not worried about missing innings here or there, like I do when the team is winning. Does that make me a fairweather fan. I guess in some eyes yes.

In 88, I was working nights, and was able to catch most of those games on the radio.

During the dry spell, I will admit to just tuning into the games for the most part, and not worried about missing innings here or there, like I do when the team is winning. Does that make me a fairweather fan. I guess in some eyes yes.

I don't judge other people's fandom.

Archived