Gausman Leaves Game After Collision (Update: He's OK)

OFFNY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the idea that a pitcher need to be basically the best in the game to get the vaunted label of "ace". For a pitcher like that, why don't we just say, best in the game? I think it's pretty clear that's not the meaning of ace. I would favor a more common sense definition. Since ace has a positive connotation aside from its definition of being the #1 pitcher on a staff, how about a pitcher who is top 15 in ERA+ in the league (as in, better than average #1 starter on a staff)? Or top 10, so to control for those who get in there because a 'real' ace has had injuries or a down year. 

By either definition, Bedard in 2007 qualifies. 6th in ERA+ (a pt off the man above him, two off 4th, and four off third). 

10 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I've never understood the idea that a pitcher need to be basically the best in the game to get the vaunted label of "ace." I would favor a more common sense definition. Since ace has a positive connotation aside from its definition of being the #1 pitcher on a staff, how about a pitcher who is top 15 in ERA+ in the league? Or top 10, so to control for those who get in there because a 'real' ace has had injuries or a down year. 

By either definition, Erik Bedard in 2007 qualifies. He was 6th in ERA+ (a pt off the man above him, two off 4th, and four off third.

o

If made to choose between one or the other, I would rather have the 2014 Orioles' starting pitching staff than have a prime Erik Bedard and the other 4 Orioles starting pitchers that accompanied him in that 2007 season.

Having an "ace" is a very nice luxury to have, but having at least 4 solid starters is more important

o

o

KJ looked really good.

88% of the outs that he recorded (8 out of 9) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

9 OUTS: ) 5 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Flyout

K.J. GAUSMAN )))))))) (vs. Phillies, 3/03) )))))))) [Spring Training]

IP:llll3

H:lllll ) l

R:llll  0

BB:llll0

SO:llll5

Pitches: l) 37  )(24 )Strikes, )13)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  10.39 )(Spring Training)  )  4.33 IP / 5 ER

2018 WHIP: l)  1.616 )(Spring Training)  )  4.33 IP  (7 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .333 )(6 for 18) )(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 ll(9 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 lll(7 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

13 lll(8 llStrikes, llll.Balls)

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

Gausman had to essentially get 4 Outs in the 3rd inning, due to an error by Jonathan Schoop.

In his last 2 outings combined, he has pitched 8 Shutout Innings.

In his last 2 outings combined, 67% of the Outs that he has recorded (16 Out of 24) have come via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

In his last 2 outings combined, he has ceded a total of 3 Baserunners (2 Singles and 1 Walk) over 8 innings Pitched.

15 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout

K.J. GAUSMAN )))))))) (vs. Cardinals, 3/15) )))))))) [Spring Training]

IP:llll5

H:llll. ) l(2 Singles)

R:lll.  0

BB:lll1

SO:lll1

Pitches: l) (Unavailable)

2018 ERA: l)  4.82 )(Spring Training)  )  9.33 IP / 5 ER

2018 WHIP: l)  1.071 )(Spring Training)  )  9.33 IP  (10 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .229 )(8 for 35) )(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

o

Archived