My 25-man roster prediction (as of 3/7/18)

interloper

The SB just isn't that big of a weapon anymore.  Not that it's totally irrelevant, it's just not a priority for me from a catcher.

Far more important to me that a catcher knows how to work with pitchers to call a good game and keep guys from getting on base in the first place.  Between Sisco/Wynns/Susac, I have no idea who is best at that.  I know that I've been underwhelmed with both Wieters and Castillo in that department.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predicted Sisco would make the team and it looks like that's the case. He needs to work with Russell at the ML level and he's too good to be stashed in AAA right now. We'll see something approaching a platoon with him and Joseph before too long, I think. 

It's getting pretty easy to spot when Buck is going to go against "the narrative". In this case the narrative being that Sisco is a worse defender than Wynns. But when Buck says "you have to call 200 pitches and only get 4 AB", folks tend to take that to mean he's leaning Wynns. He very rarely will give himself away that easily. Master of the red herring is Buck Showalter. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I predicted Sisco would make the team and it looks like that's the case. He needs to work with Russell at the ML level and he's too good to be stashed in AAA right now. We'll see something approaching a platoon with him and Joseph before too long, I think. 

It's getting pretty easy to spot when Buck is going to go against "the narrative". In this case the narrative being that Sisco is a worse defender than Wynns. But when Buck says "you have to call 200 pitches and only get 4 AB", folks tend to take that to mean he's leaning Wynns. He very rarely will give himself away that easily. Master of the red herring is Buck Showalter. 

Sorry, Wynn*. Always do that.

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Gentry is 0 for 4 with 3 k’s and is batting .250...I would gladly take Flaherty back over him. If he makes the team over a pitcher, we are morons.

Gentry isn't making it to be a hitter. He would make it to be a defensive replacement late in games and be a pinch runner.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Gentry isn't making it to be a hitter. He would make it to be a defensive replacement late in games and be a pinch runner.

I like Gentry and Buck has a man-crush, but I like Presley. Younger in the the Gentry mold and LH.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Presley has been pretty good so far at the plate.

What is his base running and defense like?

He's been a better hitter over the course of his career than Gentry, but a much worse fielder. Gentry used to be a plus or better OF who could play all three positions, he's more average now. Presley has been quite a bad OF. Baserunning is pretty close, Gentry used to be a good baserunner, not as much anymore, Gentry is a bit faster.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He's been a better hitter over the course of his career than Gentry, but a much worse fielder. Gentry used to be a plus or better OF who could play all three positions, he's more average now. Presley has been quite a bad OF. Baserunning is pretty close, Gentry used to be a good baserunner, not as much anymore, Gentry is a bit faster.

So if it came down to them for a bench spot, Gentry would get it. He has the better "off the bench" intangibles.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, Rene88 said:

I guess we should cut Bundy too...:)

Why, his lousy numbers are better than our team average last year.  We are going to be much improved!!! ;) 

23 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Wait until teams run all over Sisco....

Pretty sure anyone who can run can run all over the Orioles.  Season is not gonna get wrecked on a 20% Caught Stealing rate verses a 30% Caught Stealing rate.  Save your worry and fretting for the important concerns.  

See: SP #4, SP #5.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:16 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Anyone want to take a stab now with all the opt-outs and waiver wire possibilities and misc. moving pieces? Won’t be easy!

On 3/7/2018 at 2:27 PM, interloper said:

STARTING PITCHERS

1. Kevin Gausman

2. Andrew Cashner

3. Dylan Bundy

4. Chris Tillman

5. Mike Wright

BULLPEN

1. Brad Brach

2. Mychal Givens

3. Darren O'Day

4. Richard Bleier 

5. Miguel Castro

6. Pedro Araujo  

7. Nestor Cortes

LINEUP

1. Tim Beckham - 3B

2. Jonathan Schoop - 2B

3. Manny Machado - SS

4. Adam Jones - CF

5. Chris Davis - 1B

6. Trey Mancini - LF

7. Mark Trumbo - DH

8. Colby Rasmus - RF

9. Caleb Joseph - C

BENCH

1. Chance Sisco - C

2. Danny Valencia - IF/OF

3. Anthony Santander - OF

4. Craig Gentry - OF

NOTES

• Gentry beats Rickard, who will go to AAA
  • Wright starts out as the 5th starter and Cortes gets his feet wet in long relief
  • The team opts to carry Valencia over a traditional UIF, at least initially. Can PH for Rasmus late in game and be replaced by Gentry
  • Chance beats Wynns because of the bat and because the O's want him working with Joseph and Russell in the big leagues
  • Mesa Jr. doesn't survive Rule 5
  • Alvarez will go to AAA and await the fall of Trumbo or a Davis injury
  • This is barring any signings such as Walker, Lynn, or Cobb

Basically, my prediction is almost holding water other than Cobb, Trumbo, and whether or not Wright makes it over Rodriguez. Castro could get optioned. Buck is going with 12 pitchers, as he's stated (so 4 SP, 8 relievers).

The only other roster spot open is Trumbo's DH spot, which I assume will go to Valencia. I'm not 100% that Alvarez cracks this roster over another UTIL though. Could they  carry 3 catchers to start? Tough call on this last position player spot.

Archived