My 25-man roster prediction (as of 3/7/18)

interloper

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Also if Rasmus' hip is so bad he can't run to the foul line to catch a fly ball than maybe he does not get his minor league contract converted.

Pedro does not know how to run the bases.   Wojo can be sent down now.

Good things  that happen today:

Susac threw out a runner on the bases and hit a homer.

Santander made a diving catch and actually acted like he want to play the game.   Refreshing

What? What’s with the snide comment on Santander? Why are you questioning his work ethic? I am lost.

And yes he made a GREAT catch today. Huge Santander fan.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening day is three weeks away, so plenty can happen, but unless there are some big changes I wouldn't be surprised to see this:

• Santander starting against all pitching in RF
  • Alvarez/Valencia as a DH platoon
  • Rasmus released from his minor league contract
  • Presley or Gentry, Trumbo, Valencia (when facing a RHP) and the backup catcher on the bench

4 hours ago, Rene88 said:

What? What’s with the snide comment on Santander? Why are you questioning his work ethic? I am lost.

And yes he made a GREAT catch today. Huge Santander fan.

It wasn't snide.   I am giving credit were credit is due.   Santander has been playing well.

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Opening day is three weeks away, so plenty can happen, but unless there are some big changes I wouldn't be surprised to see this:

• Santander starting against all pitching in RF
  • Alvarez/Valencia as a DH platoon
  • Rasmus released from his minor league contract
  • Presley or Gentry, Trumbo, Valencia (when facing a RHP) and the backup catcher on the bench

Rasmus would be a little surprising, but he’s gotta be on thin ice with us. We were in on Jay until he signed with KC. He wouldn’t take a one year deal with us. 

Santander is looking the best out of all the younger OF options. Plus he has to be on the roster anyways. 

With Trumbo and Davis hurt the bench could go anywhere. Do we really want to pay Pedro Alvarez his MLB guaranteed money if he’s only needed for the first week of the season?

I think the best solution is to sign Neil Walker. He could fill in at 1B and then find ABs at 3B once healthy. 

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Rasmus would be a little surprising, but he’s gotta be on thin ice with us. We were in on Jay until he signed with KC. He wouldn’t take a one year deal with us. 

Santander is looking the best out of all the younger OF options. Plus he has to be on the roster anyways. 

With Trumbo and Davis hurt the bench could go anywhere. Do we really want to pay Pedro Alvarez his MLB guaranteed money if he’s only needed for the first week of the season?

I think the best solution is to sign Neil Walker. He could fill in at 1B and then find ABs at 3B once healthy. 

I didn't say anything about Pedro being part of a DH platoon for a week, I meant for the season.

They could try to sign Neil Walker, but I'm guessing he wants a starting job in the infield. He started 95 games at 2B last season and had never played elsewhere until 2017 since 2009. He's played a grand total of 19 games (17 starts) at 3B, and 9 of those games were in 2009, his rookie season. I doubt he'd be interested in being part of a DH platoon. I vote for Pedro.

My prediction is that at least one of the players in contention for the 25 man will be on the DL to start the season and will give us more flexibility. (Davis and Trumbo injuries could be blessings from a baseball standpoint). I would never wish an injury on someone. 

1 hour ago, blid said:

Is there a deadline for setting the 25-man or can they wait all the way up to the start of the season?

Historically it is the day before Opening Day. A certain time as well, similar to trade deadline. 

On 3/7/2018 at 2:27 PM, interloper said:

STARTING PITCHERS

1. Kevin Gausman

2. Andrew Cashner

3. Dylan Bundy

4. Chris Tillman

5. Mike Wright

BULLPEN

1. Brad Brach

2. Mychal Givens

3. Darren O'Day

4. Richard Bleier 

5. Miguel Castro

6. Pedro Araujo  

7. Nestor Cortes

LINEUP

1. Tim Beckham - 3B

2. Jonathan Schoop - 2B

3. Manny Machado - SS

4. Adam Jones - CF

5. Chris Davis - 1B

6. Trey Mancini - LF

7. Mark Trumbo - DH

8. Colby Rasmus - RF

9. Caleb Joseph - C

BENCH

1. Chance Sisco - C

2. Danny Valencia - IF/OF

3. Anthony Santander - OF

4. Craig Gentry - OF

So far, especially after last night's game, nothing has made me want to change my prediction. The only X-factors are Cobb and whether or not we go with a standard 25-man roster to start the season (for ex: started with only 3 SPs last season before making some early roster moves).

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

So far, especially after last night's game, nothing has made me want to change my prediction. The only X-factors are Cobb and whether or not we go with a standard 25-man roster to start the season (for ex: started with only 3 SPs last season before making some early roster moves).

Wright in the rotation... such a buzzkill.

If they could replace Wright with Cobb, and go with Wright/Castro for that final pen spot, then I'd be much more excited.

30 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Wright in the rotation... such a buzzkill.

If they could replace Wright with Cobb, and go with Wright/Castro for that final pen spot, then I'd be much more excited.

It's a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington.

I would love Wright in the pen, Castro stretched out in Triple-A as depth and Cobb in the rotation. I put the odds somewhere around 15% that it happens.

11 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It's a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington.

I would love Wright in the pen, Castro stretched out in Triple-A as depth and Cobb in the rotation. I put the odds somewhere around 15% that it happens.

Agreed.  Makes too much sense for the FO to actually pull the trigger.

Cobb at 3 years 39-42 makes sense for both sides.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

I don't have any inside info, but I really don't think they are even considering Cobb. I think the moves are over, and this is our team.

That's the most likely scenario. I'm sure there are a good 75% of the FO that is on board with Cobb, but as we have learned this year, it takes 100% to make a move. 

Archived