Trey Mancini: Role Player or Star?

Luke-OH

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That's basically my take, that's an average starter, and a good piece.

Sure plenty of value there even if you don't think he's going to morph into a five win player.

There was a piece years ago on Fangraphs, if I recall correctly it was about how the O's had managed to almost completely avoid below replacement performances in 2014.

A core of guys contributing two wins each is a strong foundation.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That's basically my take, that's an average starter, and a good piece.

That is significantly higher now than most all pundits had Trey at this point last year.  Great article.  I think I give more credence to his stellar capacity to make adjustments because of being able to have the year he had offensively while learning to play a completely new position at the highest level on the fly.  And his ability as you noted to make subtle but substantial swing modifications.  I think he can be an improved defensive outfielder this year with his continued work and experience and could become a Gary Roenicke type outfielder.  Offensively, I think he is going to continue to improve substantially in every category..both power, average and OBP.

I admit I am a Trey groupie!  I have believed he would be a star from when I saw him first as a Frederick Key and he almost destroyed the scoreboard at Myrtle Beach with a ball I have seldom, if ever, seen hit so hard.  I think the story with his grandfather being a long term Orioles season ticket holder and his persona of intelligence, hard work and hustle make me hope he continues to surprise everyone as much this year as he did last year. 

So maybe after a monster 5 WAR season this year, next March we will revisit our expectations again.  

Just now, tntoriole said:

That is significantly higher now than most all pundits had Trey at this point last year.  Great article.  I think I give more credence to his stellar capacity to make adjustments because of being able to have the year he had offensively while learning to play a completely new position at the highest level on the fly.  And his ability as you noted to make subtle but substantial swing modifications.  I think he can be an improved defensive outfielder this year with his continued work and experience and could become a Gary Roenicke type outfielder.  Offensively, I think he is going to continue to improve substantially in every category..both power, average and OBP.

I admit I am a Trey groupie!  I have believed he would be a star from when I saw him first as a Frederick Key and he almost destroyed the scoreboard at Myrtle Beach with a ball I have seldom, if ever, seen hit so hard.  I think the story with his grandfather being a long term Orioles season ticket holder and his persona of intelligence, hard work and hustle make me hope he continues to surprise everyone as much this year as he did last year. 

So maybe after a monster 5 WAR season this year, next March we will revisit our expectations again.  

I give credit to his ability to make adjustments and mentioned it twice in the article, I'm just not comfortable projecting significant improvements just from that. It's possible, just saying it's far from the median outcome.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I wager young Trumbo did not look nearly as competent with a bat as Mancini does. Mancini simply has better coverage and bat control and I think he's very clearly on the way to being a more productive hitter in his career than Trumbo has been.

I think the comp was unfortunate.   They’re very different types of hitters.     Mancini could turn out to be the better player over his career; I think we’ll have a much better idea after this season.    

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

How many average regular players hit .290 + with 20 homers?  Granted, he'd have to do it again and in this offensive heavy environment there's probably more players than I'm aware of.  Sometimes my thinking reverts back to growing up in the early 90s when 20 homers was a big thing.

I think he can become an above average regular.  Not quite an all star but a really solid contributor for years to come.  Yes, he's headed into his age 26 season, but part of this is due to the fact that he played all 4 years at Notre Dame and, if I'm doing my math correctly, that he was a year older than most of the kids in his HS class.  But let's not pretend that he toiled in the minors for a long time, he progressed at a decent rate through the system and made his debut in 2016.  

At any rate, he was one of the few guys on the team last year that could give you a good at bat in a key situation.  He also seemed to be able to make adjustments (as the article points out) when pitchers adjust to him.  

Looking ahead for the next few years, I don't view Mancini as a problem, he's one of the solutions.  Granted, his defense isn't great and that might be able to get better but I'm envisioning a day where Davis is gone and Mancini is at 1st.  

Moose, Mancini played 3 years a ND, he went back in the offseason to finish his degree. We drafted him after his Junior year. Pat Connaughton was the Domer we drafted as a senior.

We better hope he’s a star.  He has the mentality and he puts in the work and effort to get better and more versatile.  He’s done everything you could ask of a prospect in his position and he’s excelled at the MLB level despite sporadic playing time. 

11 hours ago, johnegogo said:

Can we be happy with a Mancini who will be a slightly better than average offensive player and not a total liability in the field? Solid long term starter under control at at decent salary. What is not to love about that? 

I think he will be a fine long-term MLB player. 

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah that was an old profile in case he didn’t sign. My wife went to ND, I follow te University closely. 

Also, we met Trey at the end of the 2013 Iron Birds season, so I know for a fact he was in our organization during What would’ve been his senior year. 

On 3/14/2018 at 12:05 PM, FuManchu said:

Jose Abreu
Jose Altuve
Elvis Andrus
Nolan Arenado
Charlie Blackmon
Kris Bryant
Zack Cozart
Freddie Freeman
Paul Goldschmidt
Marwin Gonzalez
Eric Hosmer
Trey Mancini
Daniel Murphy
Marcell Ozuna
Tommy Pham
Jose Ramirez
Anthony Rendon
Eddie Rosario
Jonathan Schoop
Corey Seager
Mike Trout
Justin Turner
Joey Votto
Ryan Zimmerman

This is actually a really good list and a good club to be a part of.  Not a head scratcher in the bunch.

One thing that I think works against Trey Mancini is pedigree and draft status.  If we got this production from a 1st round pick, the OH would be creaming their collective pants.  But since he's a guy that went to college wasn't a 1st or 2nd round pick and is maybe a year or two older for someone who ideally just started their career, I think there's a bias.  

1st round picks get every opportunity to perform.  A guy like Mancini has to really prove himself and when he does it, he's met with skepticism that he can't do it again.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 8:55 AM, Luke-OH said:

o

Trey Mancini: Role Player, or Future Star ???

(By Luke Siler)

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/03/14/trey-mancini-future-star/

o

o

(APRIL 17th)

Since being inserted into the lead-off position in the 7th game of the season against the Yankees on April 5th, Mancini has been doing well on offense in this still very young 2018 season.

o

On 4/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(APRIL 17th)

Since being inserted into the lead-off position in the 7th game of the season against the Yankees on April 5th, Mancini has been doing well on offense in this still very young 2018 season.

o

I think the leadoff spot is good for Mancini.    It encourages him to stay patient.   Hope he didn’t hurt himself seriously tonight.    

Archived