Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Wow well done DD. One last stand boys, let’s see what we can do! I’m ready to get this show rollin’!

Is it really a "last stand" anymore?

We are looking at what could be at least a respectable rotation this year of Cobb/Bundy/Gausman/Cashner/someone.  (I didn't say great or even good, but certanly respectable).

All 4 will be back next year, with Harvey added in the mix.

All but Gausman likely back the next year, and Akin could be ready.

Yes, we are going to lose Manny, probably Adam.   But we suddenly have quite a few quality bats in the pipeline.   I think we have some solid bullpen arms coming up in the next few years too.

I remember in 2012 when lots of people thought that if "tried to win" that year, we'd be in trouble because our window would close by 2014.   Then the window was going to close in 2015.   Then it was for sure going to close in 2018.   Absolutely no doubt about that.   Yet somehow Duquette keeps pushing that window further away.   A few months ago probably everybody on here would have been pretty certain we were going to suck in 2019.   Now... not so sure.   I think we could lose Manny, Adam, Brach, Britton, or at least 3 of the 4, and still have some reasonable shot to be winners in 2019 if our young hitters live up to their potential.

I'm not saying we're going to be great in any of those upcoming years.   (Although we could if the right combination of young guys comes up and turns out to be really good).

But I think it's time to put to rest the idea that you definitely have to blow it up because if you try to compete with a marginal team in any given year, utter doom, 14 years of winter,  looms just around the corner.   The rebuild purists who think that complete destruction of the team is the only way to avoid years of losing will probably never be convinced.   And we certainly aren't guaranteed to be over .500 this year (hey, a little secret -- no team is!).    Yeah, you gotta avoid the idiotic Parra-type deals.   But no matter what longterm strategy you adopt, at a tactical level you have to avoid really stupid deals of any flavor.   That's kind of obvious.

SteveA, in my opinion the priority next step is extending Schoop.  They missed the boat on Machado but with Schoop there is still a chance.  They do that, and maybe even extend a couple other youngsters (Givens, Mancini, Beckham) and yes they are looking ok for the future.

farmer-fran1.jpeg

Me when I heard about the Cobb deal a few minutes ago, lol.........Woot!!!!! He was the guy I wanted from the start of this offseason.  I just hope he lives up to the deal.  We're due some good karma after Ubaldo, right?

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is it really a "last stand" anymore?

We are looking at what could be at least a respectable rotation this year of Cobb/Bundy/Gausman/Cashner/someone.  (I didn't say great or even good, but certanly respectable).

All 4 will be back next year, with Harvey added in the mix.

All but Gausman likely back the next year, and Akin could be ready.

Yes, we are going to lose Manny, probably Adam.   But we suddenly have quite a few quality bats in the pipeline.   I think we have some solid bullpen arms coming up in the next few years too.

I remember in 2012 when lots of people thought that if "tried to win" that year, we'd be in trouble because our window would close by 2014.   Then the window was going to close in 2015.   Then it was for sure going to close in 2018.   Absolutely no doubt about that.   Yet somehow Duquette keeps pushing that window further away.   A few months ago probably everybody on here would have been pretty certain we were going to suck in 2019.   Now... not so sure.   I think we could lose Manny, Adam, Brach, Britton, or at least 3 of the 4, and still have some reasonable shot to be winners in 2019 if our young hitters live up to their potential.

I'm not saying we're going to be great in any of those upcoming years.   (Although we could if the right combination of young guys comes up and turns out to be really good).

But I think it's time to put to rest the idea that you definitely have to blow it up because if you try to compete with a marginal team in any given year, utter doom, 14 years of winter,  looms just around the corner.   The rebuild purists who think that complete destruction of the team is the only way to avoid years of losing will probably never be convinced.   And we certainly aren't guaranteed to be over .500 this year (hey, a little secret -- no team is!).    Yeah, you gotta avoid the idiotic Parra-type deals.   But no matter what longterm strategy you adopt, at a tactical level you have to avoid really stupid deals of any flavor.   That's kind of obvious.

So our most important FA is DD?

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

SteveA, in my opinion the priority next step is extending Schoop.  They missed the boat on Machado but with Schoop there is still a chance.  They do that, and maybe even extend a couple other youngsters (Givens, Mancini, Beckham) and yes they are looking ok for the future.

YES.  One thousand times (or several million in this case) yes.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

7 minutes ago, Mountain Bird said:

Sounds like sour grapes to me!

And if Cobb signed elsewhere, Sherman would have tweeted that the Orioles wasted the chance to compete this year while they still had Britton, Machado, Jones, Brach...

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

And if Cobb signed elsewhere, Sherman would have tweeted that the Orioles wasted the chance to compete this year while they still had Britton, Machado, Jones, Brach...

Eh -- they are still behind the Yanks and Sawx on paper.  But they just got a lot more competitive with them.  Perhaps within margin for error.  And if they still finish 3rd in the AL East, they're in better position for that 2nd Wild Card.

I expect, if they make it, that they will play that one game either in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium.  We all know anything can happen in one game.

Archived