The Orioles are sneaky

Ohfan67

I always find it interesting that many of the Orioles moves are unexpected. So many moves by MLB teams are rumored for days or occasionally even longer, but that seems rare for the Orioles. DD and the other upper echelon front office folks really don’t seem to be chatty with reporters. I guess It shouldn’t be surprising given DD’s professional “personality” and Peter Angelos’ souring on talking to reporters years ago, but it is interesting that in this over-information age the Orioles are sneaky. Some reports suggest that Cobb was in Sarasota for part of his physical before news of the deal broke. 

20 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I always find it interesting that many of the Orioles moves are unexpected. So many moves by MLB teams are rumored for days or occasionally even longer, but that seems rare for the Orioles. DD and the other upper echelon front office folks really don’t seem to be chatty with reporters. I guess It shouldn’t be surprising given DD’s professional “personality” and Peter Angelos’ souring on talking to reporters years ago, but it is interesting that in this over-information age the Orioles are sneaky. Some reports suggest that Cobb was in Sarasota for part of his physical before news of the deal broke. 

There are no leaks in the warehouse. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well when the whole local media is on the payroll?  Roy or the occasional insider we get here, is the only way we get tidbits of unique info. 

My belief is that the media hears what they want the media to hear. How is the whole media on the payroll? Now obviously Roch and Steve are. 

I think it is a very closed warehouse. And when stuff is disseminated, It's not for publication. Tony can address this if he cares to. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

My belief is that the media hears what they want the media to hear. How is the whole media on the payroll? Now obviously Roch and Steve are. 

I think it is a very closed warehouse. And when stuff is disseminated, It's not for publication. Tony can address this if he cares to. 

Granted the fan in me, wishes it wasn't so.

But, how some posters feel the need to knock the organization, for keeping things in-house, until its proper time.

You have to respect that. At least IMO.

30 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I am told that this town explodes with tourism during this time frame and ST comes to town bringing players and fans, and the Orioles are not the only team in Sarasota.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am told that this town explodes with tourism during this time frame and ST comes to town bringing players and fans, and the Orioles are not the only team in Sarasota.

The Orioles are the only team in Sarasota.     There are other teams in nearby cities — Pirates in Bradenton (30 minutes), Phillies in Clearwater (75 minutes), Yankees in Tampa (65 minutes), Rays in Port Charlotte (55 minutes), Tigers in Lakeland (90 minutes), Jays in Dunedin (75 minutes), Red Sox in Lee County (75 minutes).

Studies show that the Orioles brought about $97 mm to the Sarasota economy last year.  http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180222/orioles-economic-impact-in-sarasota-hits-97m-study-shows.   That’s much more than was projected when they did the studies to justify renovating the stadium as part of the package to bring the Orioles to Sarasota.    It has been a win-win for the city and the team.    You can’t go anywhere in Sarasota without seeing people in Orioles gear.   

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well when the whole local media is on the payroll?  Roy or the occasional insider we get here, is the only way we get tidbits of unique info. 

I actually don’t think Roch hears things. He may occasionally withhold something, but I think mainly he’s just not told anything. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I actually don’t think Roch hears things. He may occasionally withhold something, but I think mainly he’s just not told anything. 

One of his 105.7 visits, he was asked about that, and how can he have that really close and tight relationship with Buck, yet, not burn the friendship and report something.

He said Buck and him go way back a long time, Buck is extremely smart and will let you know when he starts talking about something that he either needs to sit on for a bit or never discuss with the public.

27 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure what you mean by this? Can you explain?

i just think it’s kind of amazing that Cobb could have been in Sarasota for a physical and reporters didn’t know (small amazement, ok ?). By that point a decent number of people know it is happening and all have phones, social media, etc. heck, the President gets off the phone with Putin and it seems like the details of their conversation is all over the media ten minutes later. I just find it interesting. DD also doesn’t leak real or false details after deals don’t happen to make himself look better, or at least not often.  I think that happens a lot. 

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles are the only team in Sarasota.     There are other teams in nearby cities — Pirates in Bradenton (30 minutes), Phillies in Clearwater (75 minutes), Yankees in Tampa (65 minutes), Rays in Port Charlotte (55 minutes), Tigers in Lakeland (90 minutes), Jays in Dunedin (75 minutes), Red Sox in Lee County (75 minutes).

Studies show that the Orioles brought about $97 mm to the Sarasota economy last year.  http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180222/orioles-economic-impact-in-sarasota-hits-97m-study-shows.   That’s much more than was projected when they did the studies to justify renovating the stadium as part of the package to bring the Orioles to Sarasota.    It has been a win-win for the city and the team.    You can’t go anywhere in Sarasota without seeing people in Orioles gear.   

Thanks for the clarification.

I have  a few non baseball family members in Florida that loves Sarasota, but only when Baseball isn't in town. :)

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

i just think it’s kind of amazing that Cobb could have been in Sarasota for a physical and reporters didn’t know (small amazement, ok ?). By that point a decent number of people know it is happening and all have phones, social media, etc. heck, the President gets off the phone with Putin and it seems like the details of their conversation is all over the media ten minutes later. I just find it interesting. DD also doesn’t leak real or false details after deals don’t happen to make himself look better, or at least not often.  I think that happens a lot. 

The volume of people, makes it not always easy to get a hotel room, or sit down seat at a good restaurant. See Frobby's post, its a good one.

Why, DD has never been one to play that game, not sure, why its all to understand.

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Cobb is an average looking dude.  If that guy puts on a hat and a tshirt and jeans and walks around, I bet he could navigate most places without being noticed.   

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cobb is an average looking dude.  If that guy puts on a hat and a tshirt and jeans and walks around, I bet he could navigate most places without being noticed.   

and takes off the baseball hat and throws on a pair of sunglasses. :)

Archived